Help with towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with towers

Ok so I have been dabbling in audio/speaker building for a while now. I honestly dont have a clue as to what im doing besides building a subwoofer box to spec and replacing a few drivers in towers... So here goes my question can i run m6m3tm3m6 is it possible to build a cross over to work with this? Reason im asking is to try to avoid beaming of sound from the larger mids. Is this feasible?

What do you mean by m6m3tm3m6? mmtmm?

Comment

Size m6=6"m3=3" mid range driver and yes mmtmm

Comment

Im open to suggestions all i am really looking for is something that will sound good and get loud. i do not bass in these speakers just mids and highs hit me with what you think would work.

Comment

What drivers?
          Then, do you have a sub?

Comment

• Novicebuilder
            Novicebuilder commented
            Editing a comment
            Will be building subwoofer couch but just need tunes for now😁

Depending on your budget, here are some ideas:

http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_6.html
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...6a-piece/page5
          https://www.customanalogue.com/elsin...nore_index.htm

Not sure if these are the sort of thing you had in mind?

Geoff

Comment

http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html
            Ok i found something i like its from speakerdesignworks the drivers are not in stock any more but there are some close ones on here.
            https://www.parts-express.com/PRV-Au...8-Ohm-294-3057

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerle...h-Wav-264-1390

There close to.the original choices.
            i need help finding these parts though i dont have a clue what all these numbers and what not are...
            im trying to attach file will.see how that goes.
            Attached Files

Comment

I tried to type in them numbers but nothing comes up like R0031 google just looks.at me like im stupid well because i dont know what im looking for so help please or point me in the right direction.

Comment

The R0031 numbers is just references to resistor values. Look higher up on the page, to see the values. (see screenshot attached)

I think you'd be better off finding a kit to build first - and not take on a difficult project from the beginning. :-)

Comment

• Novicebuilder
                  Novicebuilder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok 10-4 what do you think of jenstoft91 comment think i would be ok with the drivers selected?

And it's not a good idea to change drivers, if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JensToft91 View Post
                  The R0031 numbers is just references to resistor values. Look higher up on the page, to see the values. (see screenshot attached)

I think you'd be better off finding a kit to build first - and not take on a difficult project from the beginning. :-)
                  Very much in agreement with this.
                  Francis

Comment

• Novicebuilder
                    Novicebuilder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fully active show me. Ide like to see how you do this. Do you drive highs with separate amp from mids?

• fpitas
                    fpitas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I split the low, mid and highs with a Loudspeaker Management System, an RCF DX-2006. There are separate amps for each band.

• Kornbread
                    Kornbread commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They're software solutions for this not to mention active crossovers like MiniDSP and ... cough ... the dsp408.

Your tweeter pick isn't bad, but the mids (even though they ARE 6"ers) have too high a Qts value (1.13 vs 0.55) and too high an Fs value (123Hz vs 55).
                  I know you don't want/need DEEP bass from these, but they should probably be designed to at least make it down to 80Hz (the orig. design could). The ones you picked might do 120Hz? - but at a pretty high (undesirable?) "Q". They COULD be forced lower, but the box size would get out of hand.
                  THAT XO (Curt's) would not work w/these woofers at all, probably.

Comment

• Novicebuilder
                    Novicebuilder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok this i understand thank you

Ok so ive done a lot of looking for pre made xovers and have not seen much to what he had built. I have however come across quite a bit of information regarding parts and voltages and the other parameters these things list. Uf in capacitor talk is just that 100v one does the same as a 250v one so from what i have read as long as you use a quality one with in the voltage range you should be good. The core inductor coil is being used to filter the low pass if i read right what i do not understand is why he has them set up this way he is feeding one of the inductor coils from the other but is pulling one set of leads for the two upper mids before the second coil is introduced. Im not that quite familure with how this stuff works but im a quick learner. I know how to use a soldering iron and follow instruction.

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you want a hobby of building multiple DIY speakers, carry on as you are. Bring money.
                    If you want a pair of speakers, find a kit or design by a known designer.
                    If you want to know how to build speakers, read a book. It's a lot faster than asking question after question in a forum.
                    https://www.parts-express.com/Speake...1-Book-500-044

• fpitas
                    fpitas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    djg is perhaps a little tactless, but essentially right. I think you've bit off farrrr more than you can chew.

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I meant to be really tactless. I'll try harder.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_6.html
                  so i did some research, you can buy a kit to build a set of these for 500 bux for the major components. I think once i save up i will go this route. Thanks for all the input once i aquire all the parts and set aside some time i will start. Thank you all again for your input.

Comment

• djg
                    djg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A big first project, but it comes with premade crossovers, that will help. Good luck.

• Novicebuilder
                    Novicebuilder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes and no its all there i have plenty of cabinetry skills ive build a few subwoofer enclosures in the past granted there is more fudge room but since them days i have learned patients and other skills so im confident in my skill set. As long as the parts do what there soposed to do everything should work out just fine. I like your honesty its hard to.come buy. Im going to grab that book in the meantime and do some reading. I think its worth it if im going to make a real hobby of this it would be cool to learn how to design xovers and and how they work.
                Working...
                X