Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

open baffle subwoofers, any inexpensive, simple(ish) options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open baffle subwoofers, any inexpensive, simple(ish) options?

I stumbled on an announcement about a new woofer designed for open baffle use: Bianco-12OB150 It got me wondering if there were any designs out there for OB subwoofers that could be done with $100 or less in driver(s) and a regular plate amp that would be enough for music at lower listening levels. Nothing to shake the walls; it would be going along with a low power tube amp. Just a fun project to try.

There are forums specifically dedicated to IB subs. Inexpensive did not seem to be one of the common terms. Big expensive drivers usually. Personally, I do not see the attraction and if you have neighbors, neither will they.

Comment

Remember, OB and sub are an oxymoron due to wave length. IB is maybe what you are talking about. OB is for mids and tweets.

Comment

Stupid question number 2: what is the difference between open baffle and infinite baffle? Is IB the ones where the box has sides but no back?

GR Research has a dual woofer open baffle design that is quite expensive, but it got me a bit interested. I figured something that would do in the 30s with room reinforcement might be fun. Just something to help things like the low piano octaves have a bit more weight, not to the point of rattling pictures or furniture just a bit more realness.

Comment

Where subs are concerned IBs work well, OBs don't. An IB prevents the front and rear waves from meeting, so they can't cancel each other out. OBs allow the front and rear waves to meet, so they will cancel each other out. That makes them very low in sensitivity. Technically speaking any sealed enclosure is an IB. Decades ago sealed enclosures were actually called Infinite Baffle, but in contemporary parlance IB is usually used to describe a driver installed without an enclosure in existing places in a home, like in a closet door, in a wall between rooms, or in a ceiling. You model them as very large volume sealed enclosures, 25 cu ft or more.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Unless your baffle is very large, you're talking huge drivers with lots of excursion, driven by powerful amps with lots of EQ. Cheap is not really an option.
            Francis

Comment

• invaderzim
              invaderzim commented
              Editing a comment
              that explains why I haven't seen any cheap ones.

If you don't expect to rattle your entire house, any large woofer with a Qts between 0.5 and 1.5 in a decent sized flat baffle should work well. An H frame would probably work even better. An Eminence Alpha or Beta 15 might be a good place to start.

Comment

Are you thinking about mounting sub/s in a wall/ceiling/floor, or are you looking for a subwoofer build that uses a sub mounted to an ironing-board (just the front baffle) instead of a box?

If you're thinking of OpenBaffle (the ironing-board/front-baffle with subs mounted), about how wide and tall can the board/baffle be?

Do you have anything against a more traditional ported/PassiveRadiator or sealed, boxed subwoofer design?...or are you more just curious and thinking about trying something different if it's possible within the budget?

IF you're looking for OpenBaffle (as opposed to IB) and IF the T/S specs can be believed, then this woofer (or 2, or 4) might be a decent cheap option:
              https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-12...-4-Ohm-292-484
              My first 2way build

Comment

Some of the MCM paper cone with accordian surrounds are very reasonably priced and have been used. They typically have Qts that is two to three times higher than listed on the website. A web search on some of the 15" might find something. You may have to do some SEROUS web searching though to find any that have been measured and written about.

Comment

Originally posted by LOUT View Post
                  Are you thinking about mounting sub/s in a wall/ceiling/floor, or are you looking for a subwoofer build that uses a sub mounted to an ironing-board (just the front baffle) instead of a box?

If you're thinking of OpenBaffle (the ironing-board/front-baffle with subs mounted), about how wide and tall can the board/baffle be?

Do you have anything against a more traditional ported/PassiveRadiator or sealed, boxed subwoofer design?...or are you more just curious and thinking about trying something different if it's possible within the budget?

IF you're looking for OpenBaffle (as opposed to IB) and IF the T/S specs can be believed, then this woofer (or 2, or 4) might be a decent cheap option:
                  https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-12...-4-Ohm-292-484
                  It would be mounted to just the board or a frame that is open in the back. It is just about trying something different; I have ported, sealed and passive radiator subs now. I think I could fit a sub that has to sit several feet out from the wall in the room easier than speakers like that. And planning and building things is about all that is keeping me sane right now. With something as cheap as that driver and some plywood it seems like a fun project doing a rough draft just to see what it sounds like and with that it could be pretty big and ugly just as a test of concept.

Comment

Originally posted by invaderzim View Post

It would be mounted to just the board or a frame that is open in the back. It is just about trying something different; I have ported, sealed and passive radiator subs now. I think I could fit a sub that has to sit several feet out from the wall in the room easier than speakers like that. And planning and building things is about all that is keeping me sane right now. With something as cheap as that driver and some plywood it seems like a fun project doing a rough draft just to see what it sounds like and with that it could be pretty big and ugly just as a test of concept.
                    Dude, a whole new world of experimentation is available.
                    There are many, many arrangements possible for non-boxed woofers.
                    Here is a nice introduction:

https://www.hifizine.com/2012/12/subwoofer-origami/

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwo...0aAi2rEALw_wcB

A number of open baffle diy builders seem to like this GRS 18. Charlie Laub is a big fan of ob speakers, and he may be able to direct you if you shoot him a pm. Search for Martin J. King also. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                        https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwo...0aAi2rEALw_wcB

A number of open baffle diy builders seem to like this GRS 18. Charlie Laub is a big fan of ob speakers, and he may be able to direct you if you shoot him a pm. Search for Martin J. King also. Glenn.
                        At a max linear excursion of 2mm, you'll run out of steam pretty quick. Still, might work for very low listening levels, and not very deep bass.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

At a max linear excursion of 2mm, you'll run out of steam pretty quick. Still, might work for very low listening levels, and not very deep bass.
                          That's what I was thinking, since op specified lower levels. Cheap driver to play with.

Comment

Here they are in h frames.

Comment

Working...
                            X