Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuum MTM MLTL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Continuum MTM MLTL

    The latest sounding just great. Continuum (AC130F1 by RS28F) MTM MLTL. XO by Jeff Bagby, MLTL by Paul Kittinger. Baffle is solid bubinga, veneer is maple. Finish is Danish Oil. Sound is really, really good. Doesn't go as low as the big ones in the pic, but very tight. The rest is really nice.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Very pretty.

    Comment


    • #3
      Beautiful work!

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice.

        Phase Linear amp?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          Nice.

          Phase Linear amp?
          Accuphase P300 circa 1975, fully restored. Haven't found anything better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Do you still have your original Continuum MLTL I heard in Iowa several years ago? Those were great!
            Craig

            I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              Do you still have your original Continuum MLTL I heard in Iowa several years ago? Those were great!
              They reside with friends in Duluth. These are going to our daughter in CA.

              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Where did you get those feet? They don't look like the ones PE sells now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                  Where did you get those feet? They don't look like the ones PE sells now.
                  They were sellout maybe 12-13 years ago. They sell something similar now.

                  240-769

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What a pleasant surprise! I thought you were out of the DIY arena when you sold all your x-over parts. I heard your original MLTLs at Iowa too and thought they were great.
                    Last edited by ernperkins; 01-27-2021, 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
                    "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
                      What a pleasant surprise! I thought you were out of the DIY arena when you sold all your x-over parts. I heard your original MLTLs at Iowa too and thought they were great.
                      Yeah, I'm kinda headed down the slippery slope again, post-retirement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by maynardg View Post

                        They were sellout maybe 12-13 years ago. They sell something similar now.

                        240-769
                        Ya, that's what I have. Yours look slightly nicer though How do the mtm's sound?
                        ....and you have mail

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                          The latest sounding just great. Continuum (AC130F1 by RS28F) MTM MLTL. XO by Jeff Bagby, MLTL by Paul Kittinger. Baffle is solid bubinga, veneer is maple. Finish is Danish Oil. Sound is really, really good. Doesn't go as low as the big ones in the pic, but very tight. The rest is really nice.
                          Those moments when I realize that some people's building skills are on a completely different level. It is like when I'd think I took a really good picture and then I see ones at the state fair and realize mine didn't come close.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Last April Maynard told me he wanted to build a Continuum MTM as a tribute to Jeff Bagby and asked me to model it as an ML-TL. I was happy to help out. Maynard's new build sure looks good, and while I haven't heard them I'm sure they sound very good. I did hear Maynard's ML-TL version of the original Continuum TM that I modeled for him at an InDIYana event a number of years ago. Jeff and I were next to each other during Maynard's demo, after which Jeff said, "they're Continuums with bass". I also told Jeff that the track with a trumpet (probably Doc Severinson) was one of the most realistic reproductions of a trumpet I'd heard (I played trumpet in my younger years), most likely due to the drivers Jeff chose and his crossover design. Due to the midwoofer's high Qts it took a bit more work to optimize the ML-TL design, but I was very satisfied with the modeled performance. These MTM Continuum ML-TLs should sound just as good as Maynard's original build while being able to play a bit louder.
                            Paul

                            Comment


                            • maynardg
                              maynardg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              They really do sound great. Thanks, Paul. The MTM MLTL sounds fast and clean. They aren't going to reproduce the cannons of 1812 Overture, but they cover most music really well. Rob Wasserman and Stephane' Grappelli's duet of Over the Rainbow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xT_TrPi6SGA) has the string bass going way, way down and the sound is rich and woody. The AC130F1 midrange can't be beat IMO. The XO Jeff provided a couple of years ago uses the original RS28F. It would be cool if someone could model the Morel tweeter. My skills have atrophied.

                          • #15
                            Good to see you back again, Maynard! Beautiful work, as usual.

                            I have two daughters who now have 3 pairs of my speakers between them and one has her eyes on another pair! It's great to have your work being enjoyed regularly by friends and/or family.
                            Dan N.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X