• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Cannot connect android phone to car infotainment

Equipment:
    2018 Mitsubishi Mirage GT with 6.5" touch screen HU and Android Auto

New LG Stylo 6 phone, Android 10 OS

The good:
    Previous phone, a cheap LG model, worked 100%. All functuions either via BT or USB connected, including AA functions such as GPS (Google maps).

Recently upgraded to LG Stylo 6.
    All BT features are fine. Streaming music, phone calls, etc, no issues. Phone automatically connects each time I enter vehicle.

I deleted old phone from infotainmentt system.

I use the new USB cable which came with the new phone, in my car.

The Problem:
    I connected USB to HU.
    AA is connected.
    But, PHONE NOT RESPONDING
    The AA icon on infotainment system is grayed-out (not active).

AA app tells me PHONE not communicating, check PERMISSIONS.

Possible issues:
    I downloaded AA and AA FOR PHONE apps.
    Supposedly, OS higher than Android 9.0 requires both?

AA app tells me PERMISSIONS need to be ALLOWED.
    I checked all permissions for AA FOR PHONE app. All are allowed...except PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Physical activity is allowed, but it is grayed-out (inactive). Idk why?
    It also states DEVICE NEEDS THIS TURNED ON.

I downloaded GOOGLE FIT and made sure physical activity is allowed. No difference.

When I swipe down on phone, phone tells me USB is CHARGE ONLY or USB ACCESSORY.
    I select FILE TRANSFER and then DONE. No difference. Phone always reverts back to USB CHARGE or whatever.

I believe the USB connection and cable are good. Because the HU tells me AA is connected.

I called Verizon for advice. They cannot help with 3rd party apps.

Verizon tech advised I try a different app, other than AA. That sounds ok. But, didn't work. I tried uninstalling AA. Then I installed WAZE. My HU did not respond. So, I doubt other apps will work.

When I received this new Stylo 6, I immediately deleted all apps I deemed unneccesary.

Supoosedly, Android 10 comes with a version of AA pre-installed. I honestly cannot remember. I may may have deleted the pre-installed AA app by mistake.
    I have gone in APPLICATIIN MANAGER and ALLOWED everything on all apps. No difference.

I've been considering re-booting phone to factory settings and start over. But that will be a pain-in-the- @$$.

I'd like to push GPS on my HU so I can see the larger screen and at the same time manipulate the music, answer the phone and so on.

Really frustrating.
    Any real advice appreciated.

Please...no simple generic solutions. I sat in my car for two hours, restarting the phone over and over, uninstalling and re-installing AA, etc. All a waste of time 😔.

Apologies if this is classified as a generic solution but does any of this work if you just use bluetooth instead of the cable? OR using the cable, turn off bluetooth? I.e just one or the other?

Its a very specific issue spanning both the hardware you have and the software you are running - it is honestly going to be difficult to find assistance here unless someone happens to have experience with your exact setup or has had the same issue with very similar devices. I hope perhaps someone has....

Comment

No. Bluetooth is for wireless features such as music streaming and phone calls. Hard wire (USB) is for larger data transfer such as GPS navigation.

Apparently, there may be a newer version of Android Auto which is capable of total wireless connection. However, I believe the new version uses wifi to transmit/receive higher data signals. In order to use such a new Android Auto app, the vehicle's infotainment head unit must also be wifi compatible, which mine is not.
      Bluetooth cannot handle the higher data requirements.

Comment

That would annoy the piss out of me, love AA. I don't have a good answer... you didn't mention testing multiple cables. And I think a factory reset may have to be tried. Hopefully you'll get that whole first time connected permissions setup and be good to go.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

If I’m not mistaken Android 10 has AA built in and requires no additional APP download. Perhaps you have some conflicting software running on your phone now that you’ve downloaded the AA APP.

Comment

OK. It is fixed lol. What a pain.
            I don't know if Android 10 OS comes with AA or not. I also read that it did.

I decided to try my wife's phone, a Samsung S-8 I believe. It also has the C-type charging jack. As soon as I connected her phone it began linking up. In about 10 seconds all features were ready to use. So, that told me it has to be an issue with my phone.

I formatted the damn phone. Took me a while to set it up again. But I did not completely delete all apps which I had added myself. The Android Auto app came up in the application manager, but no AA app icon on home page, which I read is how Google is doing things now.

When I plugged the USB cable into my phone, it asked to update. The update seems to include the AA For Phone Screen which is now in my apps list. And I have the updated AA app icon on home page. I guess this is the app for Android 10 and above.

The phone then went through the process of asking permissions for various apps and finally linked up with my head unit. The head unit's AA icon lit up. All features work. Hurray!

Why my phone asked so many requests when my wife's phone did not, I cannot tell you. Maybe, because my wife' s AA app was up and running already, as she uses it in her vehicle? Maybe because my wife's OS is an older system and uses the old AA app? IDK. Whatever

After getting MAPS to work, lo and behold, I could not make out any of the streets. The contrast sucked!!!!

I had to go back into MAPS settings and the into Display settings, fidgeting with fonts, bold type, etc, until I finally got it right. I even had to change my phone's AUTOMATIC DAY/NIGHT sensor to DAYTIME all the time. The stupid sensor was over-compensating. I was doing this around 11:00PM outside, in the dark. So the auto dim feature was making the street names and route so very dim, I could hardly see it.

Did I say this was a Royal pain?
            Too many sensors. Too many app permissions. Just plain too much. It is supposed to be simple plug-and-play. But, only if it works. And only if compatibility is straight forward. It's too much BS for me.

What a nightmare. I hope this new phone lasts a long time.

Thanks everyone for your input. I was panicking there for a moment lol

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
              Equipment:
              2018 Mitsubishi Mirage GT with 6.5" touch screen HU and Android Auto

New LG Stylo 6 phone, Android 10 OS

The good:
              Previous phone, a cheap LG model, worked 100%. All functuions either via BT or USB connected, including AA functions such as GPS (Google maps).

Recently upgraded to LG Stylo 6.
              All BT features are fine. Streaming music, phone calls, etc, no issues. Phone automatically connects each time I enter vehicle.

I deleted old phone from infotainmentt system.

I use the new USB cable which came with the new phone, in my car.

The Problem:
              I connected USB to HU.
              AA is connected.
              But, PHONE NOT RESPONDING
              The AA icon on infotainment system is grayed-out (not active).

AA app tells me PHONE not communicating, check PERMISSIONS.

Possible issues:
              I downloaded AA and AA FOR PHONE apps.
              Supposedly, OS higher than Android 9.0 requires both?

AA app tells me PERMISSIONS need to be ALLOWED.
              I checked all permissions for AA FOR PHONE app. All are allowed...except PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Physical activity is allowed, but it is grayed-out (inactive). Idk why?
              It also states DEVICE NEEDS THIS TURNED ON.

I downloaded GOOGLE FIT and made sure physical activity is allowed. No difference.

When I swipe down on phone, phone tells me USB is CHARGE ONLY or USB ACCESSORY.
              I select FILE TRANSFER and then DONE. No difference. Phone always reverts back to USB CHARGE or whatever.

I believe the USB connection and cable are good. Because the HU tells me AA is connected.

I called Verizon for advice. They cannot help with 3rd party apps.

Verizon tech advised I try a different app, other than AA. That sounds ok. But, didn't work. I tried uninstalling AA. Then I installed WAZE. My HU did not respond. So, I doubt other apps will work.

When I received this new Stylo 6, I immediately deleted all apps I deemed unneccesary.

Supoosedly, Android 10 comes with a version of AA pre-installed. I honestly cannot remember. I may may have deleted the pre-installed AA app by mistake.
              I have gone in APPLICATIIN MANAGER and ALLOWED everything on all apps. No difference.

I've been considering re-booting phone to factory settings and start over. But that will be a pain-in-the- @$$.

I'd like to push GPS on my HU so I can see the larger screen and at the same time manipulate the music, answer the phone and so on.

Really frustrating.
              Any real advice appreciated.

Please...no simple generic solutions. I sat in my car for two hours, restarting the phone over and over, uninstalling and re-installing AA, etc. All a waste of time 😔.

hi have you tried all this?
              Unplug your phone from the car.
              Open the Android Auto app on your phone.
              Select Menu Settings Connected cars.
              Uncheck the box next to the "Add new cars to Android Auto" setting.
              Try plugging your phone into the car again.

Comment

Unplug your phone from the car. Open the Android Auto app on your phone. Select Menu Settings Connected cars. Uncheck the box next to the "Add new cars to Android Auto" setting. Try plugging your phone into the car again.
                Last edited by ellamactow; 02-24-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X