Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - raspberry pi music player/speaker combo, anyone got any examples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - raspberry pi music player/speaker combo, anyone got any examples?

I'm looking for an idea for a basic RPI setup that I can use a touch screen and incorporate a speaker or two for a young kids build. Looking to use a pi zero w or even a 3 but need it completely standalone and only run off the SD card. The OS needs to be a very simple one that a 7 year old can just navigate through and select what they want and hit play..a bit like an ipod.

Any ideas? I have some speakers and a amp board I can use just struggling for a pi setup that doesn't rely on streaming or controls via a web interface

Volumio works fine with the standard 7" Raspberry Pi touchscreen and you can load your music onto the SD card, or put your music on a USB memory stick. You can pickup an integrated RPi amp board like a JustBoom or HiFiBerry Amp hat.

Comment

Originally posted by sychan168 View Post
      Volumio works fine with the standard 7" Raspberry Pi touchscreen and you can load your music onto the SD card, or put your music on a USB memory stick. You can pickup an integrated RPi amp board like a JustBoom or HiFiBerry Amp hat.
      Yeah I was thinking about that, only things I wasn't sure about was how the amp and touch screens interact (ie both hats) and how does it power on/off without corrupting the sd card. Unless the screen is done via the hdmi or if you need an gpio expansion board

Comment

Hi 3rutu5,
        I have the raspberry pi 7" touch screen. I connects via a ribbon cable to the display port on the pi. Here is a good guide.
        It gets power from the GPIO header and looks like it once used I2C gpio 2 and 3 (maybe those are sent via the ribbon).
        Here is a helpful site that shows what hats use what gpio: https://pinout.xyz/
        I did have problems when trying to use Volumio with the touch screen and PiFi Dac+. A USB sound device like the apple dongle (USB C version) works well and is cheap.
        You can also use buttons via GPIO that can be configured as well as encoders for volume. A big choice is if you want the touch aspect of the screen or just an HDMI display.
        I would first take a look at the GUI of the OS you are considering and make sure if meets your needs or those of a 7 year old.
        Let me know how I can help,
        Nate
        My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• 3rutu5
          3rutu5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Nate, you reckon if i wanted to use the gear myself and get a hifiberry or justboom amp hat and try stack it with a small touch display with the zero, i would stack the amp but use the HDMI etc for the display? or can one stack the amp/display hats or do i need an GPIO expansion board ?

i would have thought that building my own computers over the last 20 years would give me a basic understanding of a SBC, but this linux based stuff scares me a little lol.

Not sure if the pi zero will have the connector to work with a touchscreen and provide enough power for the display and the music. If you already have a pi zero wondering what to do with it, check out the pirate audio line by pimoroni.
        My recommendation would be to go no lower than a Pi 3.
        Then there is the audio quality: Pi4's have an improvement over earlier versions audio, but most will agree you still need a Dac hat to improve the audio experience, especially for a 3 or 3b+. So you can see where costs will start accumulating. You may want to see if just a tablet / kindle or even an old phone with a decent audio chip could serve the purpose too.

Comment

Originally posted by Onehandclappin View Post
          Not sure if the pi zero will have the connector to work with a touchscreen and provide enough power for the display and the music. If you already have a pi zero wondering what to do with it, check out the pirate audio line by pimoroni.
          My recommendation would be to go no lower than a Pi 3.
          Then there is the audio quality: Pi4's have an improvement over earlier versions audio, but most will agree you still need a Dac hat to improve the audio experience, especially for a 3 or 3b+. So you can see where costs will start accumulating. You may want to see if just a tablet / kindle or even an old phone with a decent audio chip could serve the purpose too.
          Yeah I was thinking I have a few old 5-6inch phones lying around as well and going to see if I can flash a OS which is just basically an iPod functionality, haven't yet and I'm sure I'll fail lol.

I bought the zero and a pi Moroni pirate radio amp hat which had a small screen and buttons on it, thinking it would be user friendly, but it was difficult and needed the use of a web interface which I didn't like.

Comment

• Onehandclappin
            Onehandclappin commented
            Editing a comment
            Instead of flashing a new os on the phone, could you simply do a factory reset instead? Then the phone could also be a wifi enabled gaming device too. I am putting myself in the mindset of a 7 year old here, much more mature than i am normally.
            As for the pirate audio board, in an effort to salvage it from the trash - take a look at this thread:
            https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-screen/page35
            I don't own the pirate audio board, but I do have some of their predecessors: The phat beat and the phat dac. No promises the link will work right out of the gate, but worth a try if you have the time and energy without adding any more $ to the project.

Originally posted by silverD View Post
          Hi 3rutu5,
          I have the raspberry pi 7" touch screen. I connects via a ribbon cable to the display port on the pi. Here is a good guide.
          It gets power from the GPIO header and looks like it once used I2C gpio 2 and 3 (maybe those are sent via the ribbon).
          Here is a helpful site that shows what hats use what gpio: https://pinout.xyz/
          I did have problems when trying to use Volumio with the touch screen and PiFi Dac+. A USB sound device like the apple dongle (USB C version) works well and is cheap.
          You can also use buttons via GPIO that can be configured as well as encoders for volume. A big choice is if you want the touch aspect of the screen or just an HDMI display.
          I would first take a look at the GUI of the OS you are considering and make sure if meets your needs or those of a 7 year old.
          Let me know how I can help,
          Nate
          Cheers, I didn't consider a usb soundcard at all, that could be a viable option to then just run with a touch screen. I'll have to look into the OS a bit better and see what's around, I was just thinking of something as simple as a ipod or older generation mp3 player where it just has some album art, volume, basic controls and the ability to select songs out of a folder.

Comment

This is a little different from what was requested, but maybe useful... Using the SqueezeBox ecosystem, you can put both the LMS server and Squezelite player on PiCore (Tiny Core Linux ported to Raspberry Pi) on the same headless Raspberry Pi, and control it with the Orange Squeeze application on an Android tablet or Android smartphone.

There is more information and links to yet more at the following link:

https://darko.audio/2020/07/a-short-...er-and-server/

"Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
            of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
            - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
            A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
            (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Out of curiosity can you provide the link to the kit that you currently have? Do you intend for this to be battery powered? I know you have printed a lot of small speaker enclosures so I'm curious what overall size you want this to be as well. I am familiar with Moode and Volumio, but I'll look into some other OS's as well.
              Nate
              My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Out of curiosity can you provide the link to the kit that you currently have? Do you intend for this to be battery powered? I know you have printed a lot of small speaker enclosures so I'm curious what overall size you want this to be as well. I am familiar with Moode and Volumio, but I'll look into some other OS's as well.
                Nate
                Was thinking hardwired using a phone charging brick that puts out 5v 2-3A.

Amp hat

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/p...-3w-stereo-amp
                I'll use either the pi zero W or a PI 3 I have both just sitting around doing nothing.

Originally I thought the amp hat used only 4 buttons to navigate around like a ipod and I could go through a music list/folder pre set up, but nope that didn't have much that I wanted. Let's say I could use a different OS and it acted like that I would be nice.

Size wise I have a CE65 that sounds ok around 0.03-0.04 cuft so was thinking as big as that. It was going to be a big M for her name

Comment

Hi 3rutu5,
                  If you could get the pi and hat to work the way you want, it would be a nice small package.
                  Looks like you can use the hat with display in moode: https://github.com/rusconi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt
                  Here is a thread that discusses it: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2065
                  The built in buttons may not provide complete control, but once it's configured via web browser, they might be able to cover the basics.
                  Nate

Comment

Jeez, I've looked at this so many times over the last few years. First, you need a battery backup, so your OS does not get corrupted, then you need a good web server SW or display HDW, then you need a good D/A HAT. I finally gave up and got a Hiby R3 Pro for about $200 that does everything I need with super low distortion and ultra high bit rate. Sad to say, any DIY homebrew that I could build would not be as good.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Don,
                      I don't have experience with piCorePlayer, but it sounds that after setup the SD card is in read only mode. I find that using my phone or other device with a touch screen is more convenient than physically being at the pi/streamer using buttons/touch screen in my use case (relaxing in the listening position across the room). A simple remote for volume and track navigation allows for even more laziness. USB DAC's that one may already own often work well in place of a DAC hat. I have not heard of the Hiby devices, thanks I'll be giving them a look.
                      I'm in the process of setting up a pi 4 with moode 7 and the 7" pi touch screen. I plan on integrating an apple TV remote for basic controls. A SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII will be used as the DAC connected to my Hypex NC252MP. I hope to utilize some of the DSP features in moode to do some room correction down the road. The 7" screen will come in handy when using the remote to see the device status, when I don't want to pull out my phone.

Comment

I've been trying to find a kodi OS for a old phone and look at pulling the back off the phone and removingthe battery to use it as the interface, but start googling and then just lose interest. I've got so many lower powered amp variants in my toolbox that i thought i could just plug in the headphone jacks and thats it.

I do get a bit tripped up with the linux programming and python etc as i've only been a pure windoze fella and feel a bit out of my depth. I'm still planning to build a start up arcade machine using my PI3, but just hate buying something and not using it, (looking at you RPI Zero W)

Comment

Don,
                          I don't have experience with piCorePlayer, but it sounds that after setup the SD card is in read only mode. I find that using my phone or other device with a touch screen is more convenient than physically being at the pi/streamer using buttons/touch screen in my use case (relaxing in the listening position across the room). A simple remote for volume and track navigation allows for even more laziness. USB DAC's that one may already own often work well in place of a DAC hat. I have not heard of the Hiby devices, thanks I'll be giving them a look.
                          I'm in the process of setting up a pi 4 with moode 7 and the 7" pi touch screen. I plan on integrating an apple TV remote for basic controls. A SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII will be used as the DAC connected to my Hypex NC252MP. I hope to utilize some of the DSP features in moode to do some room correction down the road. The 7" screen will come in handy when using the remote to see the device status, when I don't want to pull out my phone.
                          That sounds like a sweet setup!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                          X