Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common practice

Hi guys,
    I was wondering: do you measure and then tweak the crossovers of YOUR own systems for your rooms? (room modes etc kind of passive EQ)
    Or do you design the speakers to work with certain criteria in certain rooms and then EQ with different methods? (DSP and similar)
    I can clearly understand that the designs aimed to events and kits have to fit "general customers", but what about the ones you use?

I'm always using gated measurements and looking for flat on axis without off axis peaks. That makes for a neutral speaker that sounds the same in most other rooms. I'll eq or add a subwoofer in some rooms after I'm assured the drivers are integrated correctly.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Ditto.
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Clear...so common practice is to design the speaker in a generic way and then drop it into a room and adjust what’s needed in second instance.
        And as I understand the measures are taken indoor?

Comment

Originally posted by NdG1977 View Post
          Clear...so common practice is to design the speaker in a generic way and then drop it into a room and adjust what’s needed in second instance.
          And as I understand the measures are taken indoor?
          Yes, that's the reason for gating, to ignore room reflections.
          Francis

Comment

I'll only add, that the design should consider placement within a generic room and BCS. If you place a speaker up against the wall versus out in the room, the bass response will be different. Most designs you see around here are intended to be place a couple feet from the wall, where they are less affected by room gain. Some designs will take into consideration if it is going to be wall mounted, a center directly below a tv, or whatever. Alternatively, this can also be somewhat corrected for with tone controls or changes to the inductor gage.

And typically, only the bass region should need eq.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
            CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Baffle step is clear, you calculate it and add it (Substract it or whatever) from the speaker FRD, but what about the rear wall reflection? can it be calculated? Or you just guess it and reduce the baffle step? I suppose it is like a double step baffle so should be possible...

Comment

There's not really a second step, more like the baffle step reduction is not as great.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by NdG1977 View Post
                  Baffle step is clear, you calculate it and add it (Substract it or whatever) from the speaker FRD, but what about the rear wall reflection? can it be calculated? Or you just guess it and reduce the baffle step? I suppose it is like a double step baffle so should be possible...
                  It can certainly be calculated.

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speak...-interference/

http://www.mh-audio.nl/acoustics/CancellationFreq.html

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html

However, I've never seen, nor would I suggest, that these effects be built into your speaker. This is why its generally always recommended to experiment with the placement of your speakers. The more room specific compensations you attempt to include in the design the more bespoke to the room the speakers become. I guess that's ok if they are in your forever house and forever room...and they are your forever speakers..?

Comment

Well if they are supposed to be mounted on the wall always the thickness is defined and constant, one correction is taken care of, and if you change house...well, you just got a bunch of new projects with free drivers....

Comment

Working...
                    X