He shall be named "FedEx, Destroyer of Speakers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He shall be named "FedEx, Destroyer of Speakers"

First post, I've used the forums over the last while as I've put together a pair of Classix II's.

I finished them up, listened in amazement to them for less time than I should have, and shipped them off to my brother as a housewarming gift.

The first picture is what they looked like before FedEx got a hold of them, the rest are after. I packaged them in a way I thought would be sufficient, but clearly wasn't.

Is there any way to repair the woofer driver? Both speakers had the same result of the woofer magnet coming off of the frame. I imagine that would require a great deal of impact to happen.

The cones seem ok. I have a damage claim in to FedEx, but I'm hoping they aren't a total loss.

Also, is there a technical way to test the tweeter and crossover for functionality? That woofer magnet is heavy and he can't tell if more damage was done.

That's some pretty serious damage - they would have had to have been dropped from a significant height to do this.

Given the woofers cost $23 brand new I would simply suggest purchasing some new ones. I'm going to assume it would cost a lot more than that to have someone repair these unless they are running a charity.

I don't really think a capacitor, inductor or resistor is going to suffer any material damage under the same conditions unless they are showing signs of physical damage (dented/crushed capacitor, broken/cracked resistor etc). Technical ways to test would be checking impedance of the tweeter and testing for any electrical shorts. Tweeters should still be ok - easiest way to tell - plug them in and play something.

Just goes to show what happens to the boxes that go through these delivery services - no wonder stuff is packed surrounded by 6inches of styrofoam.

Comment

Yeah, that sucks big time, but you need new drivers.
      Francis

Comment

OK, thanks for the replies. That was my inclination. I'll just send him some new drivers.

My other concern is that these are a total loss because the cabinet integrity was probably compromised given the woofer damage (it had to be a significant drop or throw), but apparently the boxes are still solid.

Comment

Maybe they were on that Fedex truck that was is the huge wreck in Texas.

Comment

That happened the day after I shipped them actually! It was a sign.

I think part of my problem was the "Fragile Handle with care" stickers I put on the box. Just makes it too attractive of a target.

Comment

FedEx is the worst. Packages to the wrong house, signature required deliveries left without a signature. The driver signing for packages, corporate said I signed for it, you'd think I could spell my name correctly. I could continue but you get the picture, FedEx sucks!

Comment

The only more or less safe way to ship speakers is to wrap them in at least a full inch of foam, then wrap cardboard over that. The damage to the cabinet corner would have not happened if that was done, and the driver might have survived the fall as well.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Wow, I'm really sorry to see that. They were (are) beautiful speakers. If you saved a bit of the veneer to send him, I bet someone handy with wood near where your brother lives could fix that up without out the repair sticking out like a sore thumb.

I used to work for the US Post Office in a HUGE general sorting facility. I've seen stuff literally get shredded - usually by big sorting machines - never to be identified again. The 'Large Bundle Sorter' I worked at was actually a re-jigged 'large stone' sorting conveyer machine made by a quarry supplier if that tells you anything about the kinds of forces we're talking about... :0

Sorry brother, but they will live again! Nice house warming gift by the way! Really nice looking! Teak veneer?

TomZ

Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Thanks Tom, yeah it was pretty heartbreaking. Lesson learned though.

I like the idea of hiring out the repair work - I offered to fix them when I come visit but he doesn't have a ton of tools. They've been living in a 600 sq. ft. apartment for many years, so they have been pretty hard to shop for. Now that space isn't a premium I was thrilled to make something for them!

That's funny about the sorting machine. Sounds like it's a scene from a Pixar movie.

Edit: I used walnut veneer and semi gloss polyurethane
                    Last edited by MattInWA; 02-13-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      The only more or less safe way to ship speakers is to wrap them in at least a full inch of foam, then wrap cardboard over that. The damage to the cabinet corner would have not happened if that was done, and the driver might have survived the fall as well.
                      Yeah, tough lesson to learn. I was anxious to get them sent, and the shipping store offered "packing service" but it was not much more than a roll of bubble wrap and a tape gun.

Comment

Dang, that's a hard knock. Wonder if there's more damage to the cabinet that doesn't show in the pics. As you also alluded to, where did that magnet go after it was so violently liberated form the driver? Did it crush any of the xover components or damage the tweeter. Disassemble the remaining speaker, pull all the stuffing out and have a look as best he can. Maybe stick the cell phone in there and grab some close up pics. You may be able to order the needed parts and have them shipped directly to your brother.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                          Dang, that's a hard knock. Wonder if there's more damage to the cabinet that doesn't show in the pics. As you also alluded to, where did that magnet go after it was so violently liberated form the driver? Did it crush any of the xover components or damage the tweeter. Disassemble the remaining speaker, pull all the stuffing out and have a look as best he can. Maybe stick the cell phone in there and grab some close up pics. You may be able to order the needed parts and have them shipped directly to your brother.
                          He gave the boxes a stress test - they seem to be ok besides the dents. For as much as I hate working with MDF, it really is a good material - easy to get good joints.

I'm going to have him put in new woofers and I'll have to see how they sound when I go out there. I'm making another set for myself so worst case I'll swap them out (with much more care taken in packaging them).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the woofers are supposed to be closer to the tweeters, FWIW.
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              I'm pretty sure the woofers are supposed to be closer to the tweeters, FWIW.
                              Wolf
                              Yep, sure enough. Not sure why I chose to cut the baffle the way I did. How much difference would that make? This is the first set of speakers I've built so I'm clueless.

Comment

Working...
                              X