No announcement yet.

He shall be named "FedEx, Destroyer of Speakers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the baffle in any way is the process to have xover changes required. If you sit considerably further from them than the 8-10 ft normal, the CTC spacing is not as much of a concern as they will still converge well at further distances. For a general rule, unless using floor-reinforcement on a woofer in a 3-way, most loudspeakers benefit from closer positioned drivers.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by MattInWA View Post
      He shall be named "FedEx, Destroyer of Speakers"
      Saw the thread title yesterday and laughed out loud. Saw it again today...laughed again. The situation sucks, but that title is great.
      I hope you and your brother can get those Classix II's back to working order.

My first 2way build

Comment

Recycle the magnets, save the frame/cone assemblies for passive radiators(snip off the coils). Won't be a total loss.

I have a recent fedups horror story, a guy in Washington(state) sent a bike to me, it got across the country to within sixty miles of us in Vt, in three days.

Then it took fifteen days, going from upstate NY to NH via CT & MA and back to NY--- it circled Vermont at least three times, I told them it was not the Israelites, having to wander in the Sinai till the generations who knew slavery had died out,

it turned out they had no one in the nearby Vt office- 'the guy' had quit before Christmas, finally 'the new guy' at the NH office brought it 85 miles to me, nice kid, bad job to have.

Thankfully, it was not a new, plastic bike.

Problems like this are why my brother has been waiting almost a year so far for the speakers I restored for him.
        I'll bring them when the current plague subsides, and I can travel the hundreds of miles to him, some of those parts are unobtanium 40 years after manufacture.

Chin up, at least your boxes are still pretty, not perfect, but still pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
          Recycle the magnets, save the frame/cone assemblies for passive radiators(snip off the coils). Won't be a total loss.

I have a recent fedups horror story, a guy in Washington(state) sent a bike to me, it got across the country to within sixty miles of us in Vt, in three days.

Then it took fifteen days, going from upstate NY to NH via CT & MA and back to NY--- it circled Vermont at least three times, I told them it was not the Israelites, having to wander in the Sinai till the generations who knew slavery had died out,

it turned out they had no one in the nearby Vt office- 'the guy' had quit before Christmas, finally 'the new guy' at the NH office brought it 85 miles to me, nice kid, bad job to have.

Thankfully, it was not a new, plastic bike.

Problems like this are why my brother has been waiting almost a year so far for the speakers I restored for him.
          I'll bring them when the current plague subsides, and I can travel the hundreds of miles to him, some of those parts are unobtanium 40 years after manufacture.

Chin up, at least your boxes are still pretty, not perfect, but still pretty.
          That's hilarious! I will definitely save the driver pieces, that's a good idea.

Changing the baffle in any way is the process to have xover changes required. If you sit considerably further from them than the 8-10 ft normal, the CTC spacing is not as much of a concern as they will still converge well at further distances. For a general rule, unless using floor-reinforcement on a woofer in a 3-way, most loudspeakers benefit from closer positioned drivers.

Later,
          Wolf
          Ok, good info. Thanks Wolf.

Comment

Those magnets can work well for cleaning up dropped fasteners in the garage, or saving your tires from loose screws and nails.

Comment

Spec: 3 feet at any angle onto concrete, but anyone in shipping knows that 6 feet is a better test. I can see it ripping the driver out of the box if it was just screwed in, but how the magnet came apart I do not know.

For your next pair
              Yes, usually you try to get the drivers as close to each other as possible and asymmetrical on the baffle. You usually want at least a 1/2 inch radius on the front baffle. Download a copy of EDGE and play with the layout. It can make quite a difference it top end smoothness.

Comment

Originally posted by MattInWA View Post
                ...I have a damage claim in to FedEx, but I'm hoping they aren't a total loss...
                My experience is they go with the 'insufficient packaging' excuse and deny the claims.

UPS denied a claim on a bent trailer hitch saying it wasn't packaged properly. I said "You bent 1/4" steel did we need to put it in a 3/8" steel box to protect it?"

Comment

Heavy parts, like big steel, are common to be damaged in shipping because the have so much mass. They can damage themselves when hitting the ground. You need to design the packaging for what yo are shipping. Styrofoam is usually a good material for that kind of load. Bubbles or cardboard is not. It is all too common to see parts just shipped in a box with no shock protection.

Yea I spent a year learning and designing packaging for a computer company. It is a lot more complicated than most assume. People make a living designing packaging. My final "scientific" test was to take my final design, go out in the warehouse and toss it as high and far as I could three times.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
                    Heavy parts, like big steel, are common to be damaged in shipping because the have so much mass. They can damage themselves when hitting the ground. You need to design the packaging for what yo are shipping. Styrofoam is usually a good material for that kind of load. Bubbles or cardboard is not. It is all too common to see parts just shipped in a box with no shock protection.

Yea I spent a year learning and designing packaging for a computer company. It is a lot more complicated than most assume. People make a living designing packaging. My final "scientific" test was to take my final design, go out in the warehouse and toss it as high and far as I could three times.
                    You are very special!
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
                      For your next pair Yes, usually you try to get the drivers as close to each other as possible and asymmetrical on the baffle. You usually want at least a 1/2 inch radius on the front baffle.
                      Asymmetrical if that is how they were designed. If not, this wreaks havoc on the off axis response. In fact, offset tweeters sometimes are worse in polar response than if centered horizontally, no matter the diffraction benefits.
                      Later ,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Personally, if the damage is that severe and you actually get FedEx to cover it...I'd want nothing to do with anything on those speakers. Just buy the kit from PE and redo the build. That way you're getting the speaker exactly how the designer intended it to be.

Comment

FWIW, I have shipped several completed speakers and after receiving a batch of Audax speakers from PE were the magnets have detached I realized that it is worth the cost to pay the UPS store to package them. If they package them it doesn't leave very much room for them to deny the claim because their folks are "trained" in packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by davidroberts View Post
                            FWIW, I have shipped several completed speakers and after receiving a batch of Audax speakers from PE were the magnets have detached I realized that it is worth the cost to pay the UPS store to package them. If they package them it doesn't leave very much room for them to deny the claim because their folks are "trained" in packaging.
                            This is an example of how I do it. Four FOCAL woofer all the way to Australia, made it there just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxed up tight.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1464789

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
                              Yes, the magnets are fun to play with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0812.jpg Views:	0 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	1464794

Comment

Working...
                              X