Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Diaphram for Peavey 22A Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Diaphram for Peavey 22A Driver?

Hey guys, so I had bought a pair of 22A drivers for my old large mf1-x horns however one driver was damaged so I bought another one which I received today but it's tripping my Receiver even at low volume. I am not finding a replacement diaphram specifically for the 22A Horn driver, this is the closes thing I am finding, any ideas please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Di ... SwBCtfaCQm

This shows as an aftermarket driver but I don't expect to find an original diaphram for this 40 year old driver so what's the next best option please? Peavey Tech had said all of their drivers for the old horns [Peavey 22, 22A, 22T, 22TI, 22XT, RX-22] only difference between them all is increased wattage but since i already have a pair of the 22A driver i would like to keep the original sound and diaphram.

You might see if you can find the specs to the phragm and check if anything exists from Radian- they do aluminum diaphragms, which is one of the nice aspects about the 22A if I remember right. Worth the quality from what I've seen, no direct experience on their diaphragms.

Comment

https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-RD...8aAjBwEALw_wcB

I'd get two so that they match.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by frustrated View Post
        Hey guys, so I had bought a pair of 22A drivers for my old large mf1-x horns however one driver was damaged so I bought another one which I received today but it's tripping my Receiver even at low volume.
        Are you connecting these directly to the receiver or through a passive crossover?
        What is the DC resistance of the diaphram voice coil?
        Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
          Are you connecting these directly to the receiver or through a passive crossover?
          What is the DC resistance of the diaphram voice coil?
          Directly to the receiver but through a tri-amp system. I don;t know where to get that info sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            Thanks, that's about the closest best replacement but i donlt know if those are Chinese or aftermarket either and will give a different sound "IF" what I have is original.

Comment

Is the driver's rated impedance 4ohm or 8ohm?

Do you own a multimeter? If not any cheap thing you can find at a local hardware store will do, set it on the ohms scale and touch the leads to the bare driver terminal, make sure the driver is disconnected from the amplifier.
              Paul O

Comment

Be careful that the turn-on thump of your receiver isn't blowing the driver. Many amps send out a substantial low frequency pulse that you might barely hear in the horn, but it can destroy the driver nonetheless.
                Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                  Is the driver's rated impedance 4ohm or 8ohm?

Do you own a multimeter? If not any cheap thing you can find at a local hardware store will do, set it on the ohms scale and touch the leads to the bare driver terminal, make sure the driver is disconnected from the amplifier.
                  No i don;t own a meter. These are 8 ohms drivers:

https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80300843.pdf

Would it be safe to say though that a diaphram replacement would solve this issue, that it won;t be anything else on the driver causing this issue please?

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                    Be careful that the turn-on thump of your receiver isn't blowing the driver. Many amps send out a substantial low frequency pulse that you might barely hear in the horn, but it can destroy the driver nonetheless.
                    Thanks for the info! However since no issues with the other identical driver i have to deduce that something in this driver is problematic?

Comment

Directly to the receiver but through a tri-amp system.
                      I don't see how that's possible.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Thanks for the info! However since no issues with the other identical driver i have to deduce that something in this driver is problematic?
                        Could be. I mentioned it just so you were aware of the possibility. Unless you have an amp that is specifically designed to drive a horn, a series capacitor is an excellent idea.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                          I don't see how that's possible.
                          Oh I did not explain myself properly [sorry], instead of a Power Amp running the horns in my 3 way setup, I am using a Receiver [temporarily] for this. To further clarify, right now I am testing the horn drivers through the receiver alone. I simply connect one of the 22A drivers to the receiver, no issues. With the newly purchased other used 22A driver it's tripping the Receiver even at low volume and when I first power it on the same A Left Speaker Channel, hope this clarifies everything?

Comment

If you connect a HF driver to a receiver without the passive high place filter in place you will toast it. The only thing that will trip protection circuitry immediately upon powering up is a dead short. Even in a multi amp setup with an active crossover HF drivers must have cap protection, sized as a 1st order filter one octave below the crossover frequency, to prevent damage from turn on and turn off transients.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

i have been using the other good driver mentioned for a while now as mentioned and on high volume too without any issues so why the issue only with this other driver tripping the receiver? To me it doesn;t add up if nothing is wrong with this driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X