Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver choice for Desktop PC mini monitor

Hu Guys,
    What driver would you suggest to consider for a couple of single driver micro desktop monitors?
    Will be coupled with a 6.5 subwoofer I already have that I will need to measure because is completely unknown...Dynamic Audio with a huge magnet, found it in the garage...
    Budget low...under £50/60 for both speakers
    1 to 1.5l volume I'd say closed just because I couldn't simulate anything vented that looked decent in this volume, but open to any suggestions.
    Will mainly be used for voice, meetings, but as I'm at it why not make it sound well for music!
    Powered by a TDA3116D2 or similar.
    I was considering the Perless NE series NE65W or NE85W or TC9FD18-08 (super cheap this one)

Thansk!

Based on your criteria and because you are going to mate them with a small subwoofer, I highly recommend the cheap but awesome TC9FD18-08. They will work great in small 1 liter sealed and stuffed enclosures. Just make sure and build little stands (raised and/or angled) so that the drivers are aimed straight at your ears. Go for it man!
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Pwr Ryd's suggestion seems like a great idea, especially considering the low cost of that driver. How did I miss that one?

For a potentially very thin form factor, I can vouch for the ND65-4 driver, About 3 Liters vented (1" x 5 to 6".) Reaches down to the mid to upper 60 Hz. range and more than loud and clean enough at close range. Those are $20/ea.

Pair it with this, $16... possibly built into the base of one of the speakers: Stereo 4.2 Bluetooth 2 x 30W Amp Board with Volume Control, USB Reader/Charger, and IR Remote (parts-express.com) and a 16 volt, 2+ amp power supply

If you built it thin, tallish, and angled back it would be a pretty good performer. Add some weight in the bottoms for stability. Check these two radios out for past use of this driver:
      Sound Traveler: The 'Sound Traveler' Portable Sound System - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum (parts-express.com)
      Toni Table Radio: Toni Table Radio - Build Thread... - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum (parts-express.com)
      The added 2-part filter really cleans up the performance as well.

TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

OOOOOOOOK!
        Thanks for the advice...I'll get those and start building...will take some time as I have to finish tailing the bathroom first...priorities...not mine obviously...

Would you suggest to go sealed or vented? Volume? Tuning? I tried to model them in WinISD, but they behave pretty badly...to get a flat nice response they need 20 liters?!? I was hoping for something around 1! and it doesn't matter the tuning or enclosure I always get a bump at around 200hz (Small enclosure)

Edit: posted too early, tried to add a filter and it looks like it makes it work...pretty high tough at about 100/120hz. but expected...

Comment

• tomzarbo
          tomzarbo commented
          Editing a comment
          Which driver did you model?

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        Pwr Ryd's suggestion seems like a great idea, especially considering the low cost of that driver. How did I miss that one?

For a potentially very thin form factor, I can vouch for the ND65-4 driver, About 3 Liters vented (1" x 5 to 6".) Reaches down to the mid to upper 60 Hz. range and more than loud and clean enough at close range. Those are $20/ea.

Pair it with this, $16... possibly built into the base of one of the speakers: Stereo 4.2 Bluetooth 2 x 30W Amp Board with Volume Control, USB Reader/Charger, and IR Remote (parts-express.com) and a 16 volt, 2+ amp power supply

If you built it thin, tallish, and angled back it would be a pretty good performer. Add some weight in the bottoms for stability. Check these two radios out for past use of this driver:
        Sound Traveler: The 'Sound Traveler' Portable Sound System - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum (parts-express.com)
        Toni Table Radio: Toni Table Radio - Build Thread... - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum (parts-express.com)
        The added 2-part filter really cleans up the performance as well.

TomZ
        I agree with tom, albeit i've recently finished a ND65 build where i was aiming about that 1.5l range and was surprised at how it was. Obviously more space the better.

Also got a build using a cheaper CE65W-8 and around that 0.035cuft size and it sounds pretty good. (for what it is), just havent put it up yet as i've been lazy with the finishing.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
          Based on your criteria and because you are going to mate them with a small subwoofer, I highly recommend the cheap but awesome TC9FD18-08. They will work great in small 1 liter sealed and stuffed enclosures. Just make sure and build little stands (raised and/or angled) so that the drivers are aimed straight at your ears. Go for it man!
          After looking at this driver some more, I clicked on "notify my when it becomes available" They look worth tinkering with for sure. I'm glad you mentioned them. Might be a candidate for a table radio build. Offhand do you remember the approx F3 sealed and stuffed?

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

After looking at this driver some more, I clicked on "notify my when it becomes available" They look worth tinkering with for sure. I'm glad you mentioned them. Might be a candidate for a table radio build. Offhand do you remember the approx F3 sealed and stuffed?

TomZ
            While the TC9's sound smooth and detailed, have low distortion, and are pretty cheap, they do not dig very deep at all. Nothing like the Dayton ND series dig. The F3 was around 130 Hz IIRC. It works great as a dedicated mid in a 3 way, or a full range with subwoofer assist.
            Craig

Comment

• tomzarbo
              tomzarbo commented
              Editing a comment
              That's not bad at all for sealed. I was thinking of use with a subwoofer in a super-duper table radio anyway, so 130'ish Hz is okey-dokey! Thanks.

TomZ

The TC9FD18-08 is also used in a very successful OB design paired with a GRS 15" woofer.

Comment

I designed/built a 2 way project a number of years ago that used the TC9FD OB with a ND105-4 in a ported enclosure for bass. It turned out really well.
              Craig

Comment

Here is a picture of those hybrid open baffle speakers using the TC9FD and ND105-4.
                Attached Files
                Craig

Comment

Tom Z - you'll like the TC9s. I used them to build a pair of desktop speakers for my wife over Christmas. I also used a single ND105 as a sub in it's own box below the desk. It's all powered by a little BT 2.1 amp. They do look a little strange, since they needed to sit behind and fire up from below her monitors. I just used a simple LC combo for the BSC - tuned by ear since she has Bass & Treble controls on the amp. On axis they really do sound nice!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1600_IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	1465230
                  Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

And yes - that is a Talking Bob Ross toy!
                    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ardioid-design

Comment

That's funny, I also set up a 2.1 system for my wife's at-home classroom area using an ND105 as a sub. Its just enough for a bit of low end.

Craig, those are sharp!

TomZ

Comment

Craig hit it outta the park with those - both the look and the sound.

Comment

Working...
                          X