Should I attempt to repair DJ Mixers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I attempt to repair DJ Mixers?

Hey guys, I don;t have technical knowledge concerning electronics repairs like reading schematics, using a scope or even an MM except to check for continuity. I got 2 DJ mixers, one was sitting on a shelf unused for many years and now doesn;t power on, it worked last time i had used it. The other when I power it on i see all the LED's light up like normal but no sound input or output, Is this something I should attempt to repair or best pay to get them fixed please?

Are they worth paying someone to fix? That can't be cheap.
    Francis

Comment

And kind of obviously. If you don't even own a working DMM, that might be an inappropriate place to start learning electronics.
      Francis

Comment

One thing is for sure, if you're at the point of learning how to use a multimeter, you don't want to be learning on something that takes wall AC voltage.

Comment

You can take the top or bottom covers off and just give them a visual inspection. Maybe just a fuse or loose wire.
          In/out jacks may be oxidized too.

Comment

Check your connections & switches on the one that powers up. We tend to overlook the obvious sometimes. Like Regore said, look for any internal (and external!) fuses on the dead unit.

Which mixers are they? If it's something like a nice Rane or Allen & Heath, it's probably worth getting an estimate. Those things are flippin' expensive! If it's an older cheap analog one like a Numark or Behringer, maybe give it away to someone who likes to tinker if you can't figure it out.
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's the mixer I am using the Allen and Heath Xone23 DJ mixer and the backup a Numark M1 DJ mixer. Few years ago I had another similar model the Xone 23C model with a similar issue and it had cost me around $200 to repair, I can expect to pay the same for this one too.

My son has an Allen and Heath Mixwizard 3 he wants to sell so right now I am deciding on whether to go with that instead. Thing is I have always believed that a DJ Mixer gives better sound than a mixing board but my buds are saying no, it's the opposite.

i will open up both mixers and report back.

Comment

If you can get your hands on a DMM that would sure help. I'm not sure how else you'll know whether voltage makes it anywhere. But try not to electrocute yourself, or short AC to ground while you probe.
                Francis

Comment

The Allen and Heath Mixer is working again when I tried just now. This is the 2nd time this has happened recently.

Comment

Unfortunately, debugging intermittent problems is one of the toughest tasks.
                    Francis

Comment

Working...
                    X