Coming soon... Epique E150HE-44 and E180HE-44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon... Epique E150HE-44 and E180HE-44

Here's a quick sneak peek at the upcoming E150HE-44 5.5" and E180HE-44 7" drivers for Dayton Audio's Epique line.

They use an underhung voice coil and MMAG motor system (Multiple Magnet Air Gap) giving them incredible excursion capability. The MMAG motor is a dual gap design that uses secondary magnets between the top plates to allow the gaps to be spaced farther apart while keeping the flux in the gaps symmetrical. This allows higher excursion with incredibly linear Bl... In this case, these drivers have a nearly flat Bl curve to +-10 mm of excursion, they have over 70% Bl at +-14 mm.

More than just high excursion... The voice coil is fairly short so inductance is kept to a minimum. They also have a thick copper cap on the pole piece to help keep inductance linear. All of this creates an extremely low distortion motor system.

The carbon fiber cone, dust cap, surround and spider were also designed and tweaked to produce response that is as flat as possible with minimal cone break-up. These are very easy drivers to work with. They both have dual 4 ohm voice coils, so there are a lot of possibilities with these.

When design began on these drivers they we originally intended to be compact subwoofers. However, they turned into extremely capable woofers with remarkably flat response and incredibly low distortion. These will be excellent drivers for use in 2-way systems capable of unheard of low frequency response. The still excel at thier original design too, compact low distortion subwoofers with surprising output capability.

The final production samples are finally here, so I can give you any info.... More info will be posted in the comments.

E150HE-44 photos
    Attached Files

Comment

E180HE-44 photos
      Attached Files

Comment

OMFG! These look like the best offering in a long time. If they measure half as good as they look I can't wait!

Comment

Looks like the 5.5" might be around $100'ish from Toid's youtube channel.
          That's less than I was suspecting. Chris said it was pretty flat to 3k.
          Looks pretty good to me.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

We will need clear speaker cabinet sides with LED lighting inside.

Those things shouldn't be hidden from sight . . .

Comment

Any rough idea when the T/S and FRD/ZMA will be available on PE?

Probably a dumb question, but will these include a gasket or is that unlikely?
              My first 2way build

Comment

• Blenton
                Blenton commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn’t hear any TS Parameters quoted on the podcast brought up by Tom, but Chris P said he had one of the 5.5” units modeled up at roughly .5 cubes for an f3 of 33 hz.

• tomzarbo
                tomzarbo commented
                Editing a comment
                Right, and at a pretty decent output level too.

From the other thread on these... Chris said:
                I can say the Xmax on the 5" has been measured at a little over 16 mm (measured using Klippel at 70% Bl).
                It is a monster, capable of just over 100 dB at 30Hz in a 0.5 cubic foot box (OK... the port gets big, so that will drive up the box size up a bit... a passive radiator would be more appropriate).

That's exciting. Could matching passive radiators be in the pipeline also?

• Steve Lee
                Steve Lee commented
                Editing a comment
                How about external port plumbing on the back to keep box size down?

These look amazing.

Comment

Chris spoke about them a little last night on Toids YouTube channel among other things. The last 20 minutes or so is where Chris started talking about some of the new upcoming drivers, including these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlY_kBr94uE

I don't want to mis-quote him, but it sounded like the larger 7" version was only going to be $20 or $30 more (can't remember) than the 5.5" version. He also mentioned the 7"er being pretty flat out to around 2k or so as well.

After a year of Covid messing with us, it's pretty cool to have a few things like this to look forward to. I'm pretty excited about these coming out.

TomZ

There was some 'Dough-Flinging' regarding different pizza shops in the area, which made me have to get a snack...but one thing that I really enjoyed the last few times I've been to Springboro was Skyline Chili... Chili over spaghetti covered with a few cubic feet of shredded cheese is something different from what I'm used to in south Jersey. I really liked that and am looking forward to chowing down on some of that Saturday night during MWAF. Of course Chipotle gets the nod during the Saturday lunch time break. Assuming there is a MWAF to be had that is.
                Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  [Chris P said he had one of the 5.5” units modeled up at roughly .5 cubes for an f3 of 33 hz.]
                  ight, and at a pretty decent output level too.

From the other thread on these... Chris said:
                  I can say the Xmax on the 5" has been measured at a little over 16 mm (measured using Klippel at 70% Bl).
                  It is a monster, capable of just over 100 dB at 30Hz in a 0.5 cubic foot box (OK... the port gets big, so that will drive up the box size up a bit... a passive radiator would be more appropriate).

That's exciting. Could matching passive radiators be in the pipeline also?
                  TomZ
                  Jeebles, I was thinking ~10mm XMAX...16mm sounds crazy for something so small and apparently flat+clean up into the mids.
                  I was trying to SIM what I think is a smaller ~4inch version (model-number doesn't appear to match either of these) that had enough T/S specs shown in a paused video. It looked like it's part of the same product line, and it really wanted a PR....or a crazy, long port.

These might get me to finally spend some decent money on drivers!
                  Now I just need to convince myself I'll be able to hear a difference (I'm sure there IS a big difference, just equally sure my ears/brain are poo at recognizing audio quality, lol).

Still exciting either way!
                  My first 2way build

Comment

100db @33Hz In a 14L box for $100 each ( for the 5.5 inch) is what I gleaned from Chris P's comments on Toids video linked above. I will absolutely be whipping out the Visa card as soon as these become available for pre-order.

Comment

Would it be a doppler distortion disaster to build a 2way with this while trying to take advantage of that XMAX?
                      I've only heard of doppler distortion recently (and rarely) in a PETT thread, so I'm not sure how much of a noticeable bother it can be or if it was maybe a thing mentioned in jest that I was too ignorant to understand. :/
                      My first 2way build

Comment

Doppler distortion is interesting. Should be easy to test, do a 1kHz FFT to see distortion, then add a 30Hz tone and repeat while just focusing on the 1kHz harmonics.

There's always compromises in small 2 ways, regardless these look awesome. The 7"ers are more my speed, would easily compete or beat a pair of Anarchy's.
                        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                        Wogg Music
                        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• Blenton
                          Blenton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was thinking the same thing about the anarchys...

Originally posted by LOUT View Post
                        I've only heard of doppler distortion recently (and rarely) in a PETT thread, so I'm not sure how much of a noticeable bother it can be or if it was maybe a thing mentioned in jest that I was too ignorant to understand. :/
                        https://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm#J
                        https://sound-au.com/doppler.htm

"The effect is very small (to the point of being virtually inaudible by itself), and is usually swamped (or masked if you prefer) by amplitude modulation and intermodulation distortion, so could be considered immaterial in any typical loudspeaker system."

In any case I don't see the excursion differences of this woofer vs any other woofer successfully used in a two-way having a materially greater effect such that it becomes discernable.

Comment

• wogg
                          wogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well there you go. Rod Elliot is about as solid a source as it gets. Thanks!

My 'Bantams' Speaker system with the ND91 driver and AMT Pod-4 tweeter crossed at around 6,500 Hz doesn't seem to suffer from doppler distortion as far as I can tell.

The ND91 has a much smaller cone, and only has 4.5mm of excursion, but moves MUCH more than that, probably 7 or 8 mm each way, and being crossed that high, I would have expected to hear something amiss, but I never have. I don't have golden ears, though.

There's only one way to test it out... Build It! (My two 5.5"ers are destined for subwoofer duty in micro-towers, so it really won't affect my situation.)

TomZ

Comment

Working...
                        X