Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker Cables Really Don't Make Much of a Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the power cord people. Power has traveled down dozens, if not hundreds, of miles of steel reinforced aluminum cable but that 6 foot of cryogenically treated OFC is going to make a difference. What a crock of s**t!

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
      I love the power cord people. Power has traveled down dozens, if not hundreds, of miles of steel reinforced aluminum cable but that 6 foot of cryogenically treated OFC is going to make a difference. What a crock of s**t!
      Don't forget, you'll need a ridiculously expensive outlet, too.
      Francis

Comment

• JRT
        JRT commented
        Editing a comment
        Without getting silly about things, hospital grade power cable end connector(s)/plug(s) and wall receptacle(s)/outlet(s) from a reputable manufacturer (eg. Hubbell, Leviton) are not expensive, and are less likely to disconnect if accidently bumped by something.

• fpitas
        fpitas commented
        Editing a comment
        True enough. But I can get those at McMaster-Carr, so they'll make everything sound industrial ;)

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3X3rKtruSg

Here is a video discussing the pseudopsychoacoustic effects of houseplants in the perceptions of ersatz expert audiophile listeners during sighted listening sessions. This is very closely related to audible differences among choices in esoteric cables and connectors.

And on the broader subject of snake oil...
      "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
      of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
      - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
      A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
      (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

• Geoff Millar
        Geoff Millar commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen some bollocks in my time, but the stuff on plants is up there with the best/worst of it!

The idea that leaves store bass is utter tripe..... everyone knows that plants filter and store frequencies from 1400-1422 Hz, but only if the sun is coming through the window and you've put the cat out.

Geoff

Dressed how I like them...
      I scorched the oak splitters on this set. The nanners are rhodium plated BFA-Z types made by CMC, about $23 for 10 pair. They have a solid pin down the middle so you can't snap them off, and they have tight contact in both 4mm and 4.1mm posts. Amphenol Speakons with 'glands' for the amp end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4622.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1467918
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4623.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1467919

Oh- This is just Belden Brilliance 2/12AWG.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
        Here is a video discussing the pseudopsychoacoustic effects of houseplants in the perceptions of ersatz expert audiophile listeners during sighted listening sessions.
        This guy is nuts.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• jim85iroc
          jim85iroc commented
          Editing a comment
          It was posted on March 31st. Hopefully it was an April Fools video?

• Geoff Millar
          Geoff Millar commented
          Editing a comment
          I really hope it was a 1 April thing, but if people will buy bags of special rocks, etc maybe it's for real

Geoff

• marvin
          marvin commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously April 1 fun. I enjoyed it. Kudos for not explaining at the end that it was a joke. LOL
      Working...
      X