Unfinished speakers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished speakers...

How many of you have speakers that are over two years old, and are STILL unfinished ie raw mdf !! ??

(first image attachment, hope it works !!)
    Attached Files
    If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Re: Zero, nada, zip, none...

I never bring a new pair of speakers up from the workshop until they're absolutely done. I don't even do any "trial" listening in their raw MDF forms. Can't stand to have something unfinished.
    Paul

Originally posted by Andy_G View Post
    How many of you have speakers that are over two years old, and are STILL unfinished ie raw mdf !! ??

(first image attachment, hope it works !!)

Comment

Guilty as charged, two sets....

Bailiff, whack his ------
      When you run make sure you run,
      to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

Re: Unfinished speakers...

2 pair, + 2 prototypes (just 1 box)
        I usually scavenge the crossovers for parts though!
        Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I'm with Paul on this one I don't even fire then up untill they are completely finished. I just won't finish them once I start hearing good sounds because I don't want to unhook them.

Doug
          http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

I have three pair of curved speakers that I haven't finished, I need to repaint two pair of them. I have one pair that sits waiting for me to afford the ScanSpeak Revelators they where designed for, They may be sitting for some time! I only hope the Revelators dont get discontinued before I come up with the cash to buy them, I may have to sell a kidney. Aaron
            http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aaronhero/
            http://groups.msn.com/aaronsspeakers/pictures
            aaronhero04@yahoo.com

Comment

They just keep going up in price. all scanspeak does I have a pair of 23w woofers I paid 450 for on ebay. the list was 600 at the time (christmas 07) now the list is 760 a pair. phil and I am guilty of having my jordan/ scanspeak/ LCY tweeter build unfinished. it was also unfinished when I had Morel mdt 38's as the tweeter's

Comment

Two unfinished sub cabinets, a pair of tmm's that are not bare MDF, but not finished either. Everything else has paint or stain on them, though a pair or two aren't "prefect".
                Last edited by chrisn; 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM. Reason: massive brain fart

Comment

OMG, I hate to admit it, 3 pairs!

Two pairs MDF and one pair real wood.

Comment

One-pair....

.., My *first* pair in raw particle-board. (I don't believe the garage-sub counts!)

I have the Marianas, which has a couple touches yet to be added:
                    -Sconces underneath the upmost layer.
                    -Apply vinyl-wrap to the entire exterior circumference.

I have the rear of the WM-1 to be finished, but soon (hopefully?) they will be retired, and familial MTM's for the entire HT will be constructed. Therefore, there is no need to completely finish these.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

A bunch. A couple of pairs of Eros and 1 pair of Veritas cut but not assembled. A couple of different 2 or 3-ways that are assembled but not veneered. Maybe 6 subs that are all finished except for stain or in some cases just mounting the plate amp. If you count the speakers in my head, that I have actually biught the drivers fr, then I have even more. My storage room looks like the warehouse at PE I bet; maybe 100 different drivers. And I still have about 8 cartons of the AR 5.25" and 6.5" buyouts sitting on my couch in the living room. No I don't want to sell them, even though I should.
                      Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Todd G. View Post
                        No I don't want to sell them, even though I should.
                        hmmmm, selling..

Think I'm going to have to make a couple more pairs of something, then have a sale a month or so before Christmas.

I have no more room for speakers, so what does Rabbitz do yesterday, drops around a free pair of D26NC's, so now I have 2 pairs of tweeters I have to use (also have 2 TDFC's), which means 2 more pairs of speakers I HAVE to build.. aghhhhh !!!!!
                        If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Is this the Thread of Shame?

I unfortunately have my fair share of unfinished projects. I have a pair of Dayton D8 cabinets built and in primer, waiting for finish and assembly, and 4 other pair of cabinets that are all "built" and in various stages - some are veneered or partially veneered (one even has a few coats of lacquer on it) and others are still in raw MDF. None of those even have projects or even drivers in mind :rolleyes:

Comment

Hi Andy

Yup, I have a few which were never finished with either veneer, stain, or paint.

I often put contact paper on speakers, and this has often be left on as good enough.

Comment

Yep... pair of tube-ways still in thier raw cardboard tube form. I wasn't happy with the crossover and haven't gotten around to fixing them. I just use them as shop speakers so I don't know if I'll ever fix them :P
                              It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X