Originally posted by envisionelec View Post
    It seemed like the right time.

- Aaron

P.S. Ain't this board snazzy?
    Pretty spiffy! same-'ol, same-'ol!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Welcome back, Aaron

I almost always appreciated your comments in the past ;)

Marvin

Comment

Glad to see ya...

I was one of the fuddy-duddies that didn't want the board to change, but with the climate on the 'net these days, change was inevitable. The only reason I felt that way was because of my lack of compu-understanding. But I love the new board...I can set it up so it's pretty much like the old one. The PE team that's been helping out is outstanding, implementing small, helpful changes as they are suggested.
        I missed your to-the-point straight talk and humor. Never was I offended by any posts. Your knowledge is very valuable and I appreciate it. :D

John A.
        "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
        Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
        Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
        Pioneer TX-9500 II
        Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
        Statement Monitors
        Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
        Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
        Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Re: Guess I'll come back now

Good--it will be nice to have more "tekkie" content here.

BTW, have you tried out the Biquad Crossover Designer? I view this program as the key to using the smarts in all of those amp chips and audio processors. I can actually "interact" with the TAS3004 in real time now, and I can listen to the changes as they get loaded into the chip. It's very modular, so I can advance beyond the TAS3004 without too much code redesign.

I'm curious whether anyone else can run it, because I haven't gotten any feedback. It requires the Microsoft .NET framework, but I think the version that ships with Vista will work fine. Right now it is fairly slow and if you don't have a fast CPU it might feel sluggish. I spent most of yesterday trying to multithread some key sections of the code so it would run faster on a dual or quad core CPU but wasn't able to accomplish much. But I'll keep at it.

The latest version includes the equations for building 14-pole LR crossovers. Maybe not very practical, but interesting to play with.

It would be nice to come up with a AD1953/AD1994 board because that would allow making a very compact 3-way, using the TDA8920 for the woofer channel. The AD1953 has a good complement of biquads plus delay and support for 3 channels. With the TDA8920 we would have a 150/20/20 watt 3-way amp that would be very small and wouldn't require much heatsinking. Any interest?

The BCD zip file is here:
          http://www.audiodevelopers.com/plateamps/BCD.zip
          Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Alright!

It seemed like the right time.

- Aaron

P.S. Ain't this board snazzy?
            I've missed your know-how.. :D
            I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Thanks guys, all of you. I've become more refined - less reactive to negative posts. It took a while, but hopefully I'll retain that patience and I look forward to offering productive help.

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                Good--it will be nice to have more "tekkie" content here.

With the TDA8920 we would have a 150/20/20 watt 3-way amp that would be very small and wouldn't require much heatsinking. Any interest?

The BCD zip file is here:
                http://www.audiodevelopers.com/plateamps/BCD.zip
                I've got a semi-full plate at the moment, Neil. I did actually download the file but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Yes, I am always interested in new applications. Of course, with my full time job and wife in school*, I've not had as much time to really work on things as I ought.

* My wife graduated, but still has to pass boards in August. She's been offered two jobs, both of which pay quite nicely. I could only quit my job if I could show her that I could make up for it in sales, though. She has a lot of faith in me. ;)

Since I haven't been keeping up with things, I'll fill you in on some details. I was approached by a co-worker to startup a company building bass guitar amplifiers. Not just any - but really high power (1000W), lightweight types with digital EQ, modular tube or SS preamp and excellent reliability. Retail price range is $1200-$1500. We set out a timeline and hope to have a working prototype by mid-late fall. So, I'm really busy.

What we are looking for is someone that can design a 12-band EQ that stores multiple presets, is selectable on the fly using a serial communicating footswitch (future upgradable) and displays the graphical data on an OLED. This is very similar to what is found in HTIB or cheap boomboxes but user-programmable rather than presets like rock, pop, jazz, etc. USB interface is acceptable, but front panel buttons are also a must. When it comes to this stuff, I am not the man for it and we ARE paying for the designer. I just happened to know you were working on something "like this". Are you interested? Remember, we're paying...

I would love to put time into the plate amp idea. I think it's wonderful that you have put this much effort into it. I regret I haven't been able to "meet you in the middle" since I still believe in the concept immensely. I have a friend that started a contract manufacturing venture here in Dayton. He is very busy, but accommodating and easy going. I have wanted to talk with him about having some things made for me - but I've been too busy to get the time off to do so! My load should lighten up in the next couple months as my wife gets situated with a job and I don't have to fix amplifiers "on the side" to make ends meet. Plus, I'm building a big garage in a couple weeks. Whew!

It's good to be back.

- Aaron

EDIT: Good GOD that BCD app is sweet. That's what I'm talking about!!

Comment

Good to have you back, not that i'm really back, but thats besides the point.. glad to see you are posting again

-Matthew K. Olson DMD

Comment

I've become more refined - less reactive to negative posts. It took a while, but hopefully I'll retain that patience .....
                    Can I test that out some day ?? :p

Welcome back, dude, nice to hear from you again !
                    If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Matt, Too!?

Gees, this new forum gets the whole gang out of the woodworking...
                      I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Good to see your name on the forum again!

Comment

Longer it gets, the worse they come!

Originally posted by matthewkolson View Post
                          Good to have you back, not that i'm really back, but thats besides the point.. glad to see you are posting again

-Matthew K. Olson DMD
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

remember Wolf.... "If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy"

-Matthew K. Olson DMD

Comment

Well come back.

I have no idea why I just typed it like that, but I did. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X