"Deuterium" Preliminary aesthetic/box alignment...*PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Deuterium" Preliminary aesthetic/box alignment...*PICS*

As stated before about the Def Tech 5.25" and "Silkie" Gen4, this is the alignment I more or less am unable to get around using. These are to be in the entertainment center my friend built onto his living room corner. Triangular prism is 11.5"H x 11"W x 8"D and these are outside dims.

My other choice would've been 10 ltrs, tuned to 57 Hz with a 2" x 4.8" long vent. This yields F3 of 51Hz, and F10 of 41 Hz.

Xover:

Layout:

Since I also made him one of my "Triumph" mini-subs, he really won't need the extra extension.

Thought I'd share some progress.... (I would've cut these out today, but had a hunch I was wrong about the alignment. Turns out I did figure it wrong, and have since remedied the triangular box to what you see here.)
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: "Deuterium" Preliminary aesthetic/box alignment...*PICS*

its interesting that everyone seems to work contra to the way I do.

the first thing I think of is appearance, then I work on making it sound good....... I have something I can build on.

I guess that when you always building rectangular boxes, shape and form are irrelevant, and if you design the x-o first, for a 'box', you have nowhere else to go anyway :p

oooo, I'm in a mood, sorry :D
    If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_G View Post
      its interesting that everyone seems to work contra to the way I do.

the first thing I think of is appearance, then I work on making it sound good....... I have something I can build on.

I guess that when you always building rectangular boxes, shape and form are irrelevant, and if you design the x-o first, for a 'box', you have nowhere else to go anyway :p

oooo, I'm in a mood, sorry :D
      Gotta remember Andy, some folks don't want the speakers to be the center of attention visually, since they're going into a theater and the lights will be low and focus concentrated on the screen. It's easy to hide a little rectangle, not so for a Gumby. :D
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Gotta remember Andy, some folks don't want the speakers to be the center of attention visually, since they're going into a theater and the lights will be low and focus concentrated on the screen. It's easy to hide a little rectangle, not so for a Gumby. :D
        Actually, Gumby just disappears (aurally) when listening to music, and he is dark in colour so is totally non-intrusive while watching movies. :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_G View Post
          Actually, Gumby just disappears (aurally) when listening to music, and he is dark in colour so is totally non-intrusive while watching movies. :D
          Andy, I don't think SWMBO (anybody's SWMBO) is gonna think that Gumby disappears in this or any other parallel universe.

Best regards,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
            Andy, I don't think SWMBO (anybody's SWMBO) is gonna think that Gumby disappears in this or any other parallel universe.

Best regards,
            Bill
            Yeah-
            They're more likely to make it disappear "orally" by shoving it down your throat.... :D
            Later,
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Yeah-
              They're more likely to make it disappear "orally" by shoving it down your throat.... :D
              Later,
              Wolf
              What I meant was... gees how to explain to a pair of clowns..... :p

One day you may build speakers good enough so you understand :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Re: "Deuterium" Progress....

I now have them cut out, and dry-fit for visual assembly. These have some harder angles than I've used before, and it's more difficult than other projects I've done (minus Scandivifias). It is looking very promising!!

The driver face is in the first pic below, and another pic of a floorplan is next. The xover will go behind the tweeter on the side-wall, and there is enough room for everything in there- BARELY! :eek: I'll round-over the side of the slot closer to the drivers, and maybe the remaining "non-sharp" 3 edges on the face. The drivers will almost be against the perpendicular wall to fit well on the baffle. This may look odd in the end, but it's what I had to do to suit the recipients needs.

I am pleased with how well I was able to line-up the angles. Since you can't cut horizontally at less than a 45 deg angle on either the table-saw or miter-saw, I had to cut vertically on the table-saw, and screw another vertical piece to the one in transit to save my fingers and allow for a continual guiding surface. It worked well enough that I continued for every piece needing the angle involved. FWIW, I did use a test-piece to get the angle right before I used the boards intended for the cabs. Scrap wood/MDF is good for something at times.
                I'll keep you posted,
                Wolf

PS- AndyG, you should be proud! :D:D

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

If you're planning on making more triangular boxes, you may want to invest the time in making a tall fence for your table saw. That will make it much easier to cut those angles. Another option is a tenoning jig, but that works best for shorter pieces; I'd hate to use a tenoning jig to cut a steep angle in anything longer than about 12 inches.

HTH,
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
                    If you're planning on making more triangular boxes, you may want to invest the time in making a tall fence for your table saw. That will make it much easier to cut those angles. Another option is a tenoning jig, but that works best for shorter pieces; I'd hate to use a tenoning jig to cut a steep angle in anything longer than about 12 inches.

HTH,
                    Bill
                    Not really! These were enough of that type. I don't think triangular-prisms are builder-friendly, or for the cutting-challenged. It's what the person wanted, not what I wanted to build.
                    Thanks, and I would definitely do that if I would build a few of them.
                    Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Re: "Deuterium" More updates, pictures to follow soon...

I was able to get the driver cutouts/tweeter-recess done today, and the slot-port mounting method figured out. I used the removed edge that was scrap from the narrow corner to additionally secure the mounted end of the hardboard slot. I should be able to glue the slot to the baffle tomorrow, and round the edge when dry. Then it's going to be biscuits and assembly.

I'm going to use a spacer at the inner-end to assure a non-changing cross-sectional-area. Just a 0.5" square piece of hardboard screwed through should work.

It's been a steeper learning curve during progression on these than some others, but I will prevail!;)
                      Later,
                      Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Re: "Deuterium" *PICS* following...

Here are the pics...

It definitely looks like it'll *BE* a speaker now!! Heh. I should have more pics later in the week when I achieve leaps and bounds....
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Re: "Deuterium" *PICS* following...

great to see you working with non-rectangular "shapes".

Its much more fun, isn't it !! :D

I prefer music.

Comment

Listened to the righty on the left channel tonight...

...and it did quite well running in half-stereo (not mono). I think Shawn put about 1-2dB for BSC in it, and it's pretty clear. Placement in the buddy's entertainment center will definitely boost the bass output a little, so this is not an isssue. That 5.25" DefTech can move some air!! The slot was definitely working, but not chuffing. I am glad the x-sectional area is not too small, as it did model alright like this.

Everything seems well balanced, if not even a little "laid back" on the top-end. There might be a slight coloration in the lower treble of the tweeter, but I've heard this with the "Silkie" prior, and it's pretty much how it sounds to me. Not that this is "bad", as a $18 tweeter would be lucky to do this well in most regards.

I definitely will need to use the stuffing as modeled, but it wasn't terrible without it. I think the angles play well in that arena of discussion.

I was able to get the second one glued/clamped, and the first one primed tonight, so I hope to have them finished this week. They will match the "Triumph" sub's finish I gave him, with Krylon Chalkboard/Krylon Crystal Color Slate Black paints. I am attempting to get the slot-only painted "PS2-Blue" as the lighting of the unit, but it'll be a stretch unless I use the "Anodized-Blue" by Duplicolor over chrome. Any suggestions?
                            Later,
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Very Interesting...

What is that disease called when you can't just build a rectangular box? Rectangulaspeakaphobia?
                              That must have been a fairly tough box to construct with all the overly-acute angles. Looks like you nailed it, though.
                              Pretty cool looking.

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                              X