Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get/make my own Avatar?

Re: How do I get/make my own Avatar?

Avatars are just images you attach to yourself. There's a spot in the user control panel to upload an image as your avatar.

Here's how to turn ANY image into an avatar:

Step 1: Find a witty picture worty of becoming an avatar.
    Step 2: Grab the image editing software of your choice. This might be photoshop, but for those of us without deep pockets (or the penchant for pirated software), there's The Gimp and even MS Paint will do in a pinch.
    Step 3: Take your image and make it square. If you have a large rectangular image (as most photos are), use the crop tool to select a (more or less) square region of the image. If you prefer not to crop, you can always instead pad the extra area (if the image is vertical, create a new large, square image and paste your picture into it).
    Step 4: Resize / Scale it down to 100x100 or 80x80. Things will tend to get a bit blurry, so if your image editing tool has a sharpening filter, apply some. Don't worry about perfection, we're not trying to be Ansel Adams.
    Step 4.5: If the resize has cut out too much detail from your picture, consider going back and doing a tighter crop. Be prepared to throw away ANYTHING that's not essential to getting your point across.
    Step 5: Save it as a jpeg & upload!

PS: If you've tried and the editing software seems to be winning, PM me. I'd be happy to whip it up for you.
    Last edited by Dirk; 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM. Reason: added more stuff
    nothing can stop me now

Comment

Hi AE,

Just take any picture on your computer and use IrfanView or similar image processing software to reduce it's size to 80x80 or less.

Then upload it to the Tech Talk board in the 'Edit Avitar' area in the 'User CP' area.

Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by daryl View Post
        Hi AE,

Just take any picture on your computer and use IrfanView or similar image processing software to reduce it's size to 80x80 or less.

Then upload it to the Tech Talk board in the 'Edit Avitar' area in the 'User CP' area.

Simple as that.
        Your avatar must be no more than 100 pixels on either side. So you can have 100x100, 100x80, 80x100, 80x80, etc, but not 120x120

That said, the forum software will resize the image to be 100 pixels for you. Keep in mind the results may be a little blurrier than if you used an image editing software to do it yourself. But you might try just grabbing the image you want, assigning it to your avatar and seeing what the software does to it. :eek:

My avatar started at about 600x600, and I just uploaded it as my avatar and the software did the rest :D

Comment

testing my avatar

Test

Comment

I'm getting an error "The file you're trying to upload is corrupted." I've tried entering an existing URL. I've taken a screen shot, cropped, and resaved using MS Paint as JPG and PNG. I resized the JPG so that it was less than 100 pixels on a side, I get an error message everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdrew View Post
              I'm getting an error "The file you're trying to upload is corrupted." I've tried entering an existing URL. I've taken a screen shot, cropped, and resaved using MS Paint as JPG and PNG. I resized the JPG so that it was less than 100 pixels on a side, I get an error message everytime.
              Try uploading anything. Delete it afterwards. A few weeks back we had trouble uploading pictures for any reason.

Or... It maybe because of having only 4 posts.

Comment

I can't upload now either, but it seems this is a dredged up 11 year old thread.

Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Quote "How do I get/make my own Avatar?"

This has also been on my mind ever since I saw the movie.

Comment

Whatever happened to AE?

Comment

Alan's been posting as AEIOU.
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Tried again a few days later (today) works now. meh

Comment

Working...
                        X