Dayton DIY Cut-Off July 1st!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DIY Cut-Off July 1st!

It's time to get off the fence if you haven't registered your project in the Dayton DIY event!!

Registration ends July 1st.

We have some exciting entries...some coming from as far away as Japan!

So get your project in NOW! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

We look forward to seeing everyone and having a GREAT time! :D

Re: Rich--Registration Confirmations?

Are those whom have pre-registered going to receive any kind of confirmation, like by email or maybe a posting on the event's website detailing whom has entered what, that their entries' registrations have been received? Yes, there is that automated message that appears immediately after pre-registering with the provided link. I'm not speaking for just myself; some others who have registered that I've communicated with have expected something more formal, I guess. But speaking strictly for myself, I pre-registered twice; the rules changed on how many drivers had to be Dayton brand in order to enter the Dayton Driver category, so I changed one of my two entries from the Open to the Dayton Driver category. Don't mean to create more work for PE; we all just want to make sure our entries don't unknowingly get left out in the cold because of a computer glitch, especially since registration ends on the 1st of July.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Comment

Re: Dayton DIY Cut-Off July 1st!

I echo Paul's questions and have a couple others.

I'm planning on driving over Saturday morning. There is a registration period listed from 9:00-9:30 am on Saturday. However, I was considering submitting a designer's music piece for each speaker and the instructions say that it has to be turned in on Friday night during registration. Can music also be turned in on Saturday morning at registration? If not, can it be mailed in?

Thanks,
      Dan N.

Comment

Re: My problem with the categories....

Originally posted by richt@daytonaudio.com View Post
        It's time to get off the fence if you haven't registered your project in the Dayton DIY event!!

Registration ends July 1st.

We have some exciting entries...some coming from as far away as Japan!

So get your project in NOW! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

We look forward to seeing everyone and having a GREAT time! :D
        I have a concern with the categories, and it will probably preclude me from entering what I believe is an exceptional speaker using all PE parts.

I spent a lot of time and research and even made three different versions of this speaker before I finally reached the final version that I feel meets all of my design goals. For those that are familiar with it, they know it is based on the original BBC specification for the LS3/5a broadcast monitor, but is updated to current driver technology and crossover design and parts. Those who heard it demo-ed in Richmond know how it sounds for a small speaker.....

.....and therein lies the problem. It has been my experience from several of these types of sound-offs that when limited only to a price range the speakers that have the most extended bass response have quite an advantage in the subjective voting over smaller, less extended speakers, even when the smaller speaker is superior in all other ways. I have seen this several times, and have sometimes been the one benefitting by having the larger speaker.

If the categories where divided one more time between, say, .5 cubic foot and smaller, and those that are larger then it will make for a much more fair comparison. My speaker is only .25 cubic feet in volume and extends flat to about 70Hz with second order roll-off below that, F10 is at about 46hz. This is fine for a lot of listening, but I wouldn't want to compare it to a speaker that reaches 30Hz. I feel the vocal/midrange reproduction, as well as the high frequencies of this speaker are competitive with almost anything, but let's face it, it's a mini-monitor, and that's what it is, and it has the limitations of any small speaker with 83dB sensitivity.

It does use a Dayton driver too, the RS28a tweeter, and the woofer is the excellent Aurum Cantus AC130F-1, which I also picked up from Parts Express. But, I am just not sure about putting it up against a larger, expensive three-way, which is what would inevitiably happen.

Jeff B.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Ok, I searched.
          Could someone please tell me:

What amplifier(s) are to be used for the DIY event?
          Preamp?
          What size room(s)?
          How far into the room can the speakers be positioned?
          How far from the front wall will the judges be sitting?
          Are active designs allowed in the open class? If so, are there outlets on the front wall or will extension cords from say, a power strip, be available?

Apologies if any or all of this has already been addressed.
          Thanks.

-AJ

Comment

Does this mean....

You are attending?

I do recall you telling me you weren't planning on it.....
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
              Ok, I searched.
              Could someone please tell me:

What amplifier(s) are to be used for the DIY event?
              Preamp?
              What size room(s)?
              How far into the room can the speakers be positioned?
              How far from the front wall will the judges be sitting?
              Are active designs allowed in the open class? If so, are there outlets on the front wall or will extension cords from say, a power strip, be available?

Apologies if any or all of this has already been addressed.
              Thanks.

-AJ
              In reference to the 6 Dayton events I've attended:

1- Usually a PE product.
              2- Usually a cd-player without preamp.
              3- Large conference room at the Hampton Inn in Springboro.
              4- All are set to same distance from wall at every event I've attended.
              5-???
              6- Usually they are last in line for demo, or before the lunch-break. There are usually power strips handy.

Later,
              Wolf
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Re: Does this mean....

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                You are attending?

I do recall you telling me you weren't planning on it.....
                Later,
                Wolf
                I received a personal message asking the same, here is part of that reply -

"Sorry, but it doesn't look like I'll be there. I already have plans with my family on that weekend and it's a conflict that I don't think there's any way to work around, as we will be out of state for a few days. It's a shame too. I have known and communicated with Joe D'Appolito since 1986, but we have never met in person. We have talked on the phone, exchanged letters and email, and I have picked up drivers from him, but we have not personally met. This would have been a great opportunity to do that. Plus, I am sure I would have enjoyed meeting many other people as well."

It will be my loss for having not attended, I am sure. But, that's the way things fall sometimes. I am sure I would have enjoyed meeting so many other speaker builders again, like in Richmond. And, who knows, I may have picked up some cool stuff at the tent sale too. (More than likely a lot of stuff )

I have considered shipping my "Continuums" that were pictured above in for the contest, or to be demo-ed. I would just need to make sure someone was watching over them for me. That's why I expressed my concerns above. I have not decided on whether to do this or not yet.

Jeff
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

1- Usually a PE product.
                  2- Usually a cd-player without preamp.
                  3- Large conference room at the Hampton Inn in Springboro.
                  4- All are set to same distance from wall at every event I've attended.
                  5-???
                  6- Usually they are last in line for demo, or before the lunch-break. There are usually power strips handy.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  Thanks for your response. I was hoping for a bit more specifics. If Mike or Chris from PE find time to respond to this it would be greatly appreciated. Thnx.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Wolf

So Wolf, are you in?

You only have til July 1st to do this deal!
                      ;)

Comment

Originally posted by theinventor View Post

So Wolf, are you in?

You only have til July 1st to do this deal!
                        ;)
                        Oh, Yeah! I'm bringing 6 pair! :D I registered the day it was possible to do so.
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                        X