Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now THAT was a build!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Now THAT was a build!

    The Sunflowers are finally beginning to come to life!

    I had NO idea these would take so long to construct. Well, really, the construction phase only took a day or two. What I didn't expect was that the actual pieces of the cabinets required a lot of attention to detail and painstaking measurements. A bit of a shocker since the Orient Express was cut and built in a matter of hours (just "whoosh" through the table saw, slam a few brads in, and went over the edges with a flush trim bit). Boy, this was a whole another world from that!

    Nonetheless, the speakers came together exactly as I had planned. The boxes are all plywood, which I salvaged pieces from old furniture I'd built and scrapped, and the baffles are oak, which came out of cabinetry from a monastery that was getting new furniture... so I imagine that's prolly around 50 years old. Hence, the questions about stripping I asked the other day. As you can see, I went ahead and did it. Despite the chemicals, I probably only lost a few dozen brain cells.:o (By the way, these are just raw wood, if you couldn't tell. The final finish will be partly stained, partly clearcoat; hopefully not too complicated.)

    But the Sunflowers' adventure is still underway. They just had their first encounter with Mr. Microphone tonight.
    Attached Files
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

    Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

  • #2
    Re: Now THAT was a build!

    Originally posted by undefinition View Post
    The Sunflowers are finally beginning to come to life!

    I had NO idea these would take so long to construct. Well, really, the construction phase only took a day or two. What I didn't expect was that the actual pieces of the cabinets required a lot of attention to detail and painstaking measurements. A bit of a shocker since the Orient Express was cut and built in a matter of hours (just "whoosh" through the table saw, slam a few brads in, and went over the edges with a flush trim bit). Boy, this was a whole another world from that!

    Nonetheless, the speakers came together exactly as I had planned. The boxes are all plywood, which I salvaged pieces from old furniture I'd built and scrapped, and the baffles are oak, which came out of cabinetry from a monastery that was getting new furniture... so I imagine that's prolly around 50 years old. Hence, the questions about stripping I asked the other day. As you can see, I went ahead and did it. Despite the chemicals, I probably only lost a few dozen brain cells.:o (By the way, these are just raw wood, if you couldn't tell. The final finish will be partly stained, partly clearcoat; hopefully not too complicated.)

    But the Sunflowers' adventure is still underway. They just had their first encounter with Mr. Microphone tonight.
    They look nice! I'm finding them pleasing to the eye, and the full-RS complement is probably going to sound fantastic too! Will they replace *GASP :eek:* the Aethers?
    Later,
    Wolf

    PS- Did the new 'addition' to your home NIX the old entertainment center? I'm guessing she did.
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

    *InDIYana event website*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Now THAT was a build!

      Looking good, young lad. ;)
      If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

      I prefer music.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks Promising!

        Nice progression up from the Aethers, aesthetically. I hope you're going to put the crossover in the box this time.;)
        Dan N.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Now THAT was a build!

          Here's to the sunflowers!

          Looks very good. I woudl LOVE to hear those... I have been dying to do an all RS system.

          Nice history on the cabs too. I like little touches like that.
          .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Now THAT was a build!

            I like them and wow thats some window (sliding doors), maybe 12 feet across.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Now THAT was a build!

              Very pretty, dude.

              I'm really digging that raw oak look.

              Q: most mtm designs are as narrow as possible, and yours
              is a bit wider.

              Was this a formal acoustic design decision, or did you just want to
              match up the look with the base bin?

              -Don

              I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

              High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

              Tangband W6-sub

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Now THAT was a build!

                Originally posted by donradick View Post
                Very pretty, dude.

                I'm really digging that raw oak look.

                Q: most mtm designs are as narrow as possible, and yours
                is a bit wider.

                Was this a formal acoustic design decision, or did you just want to
                match up the look with the base bin?

                -Don
                The MTM is a U-frame open back. The extra width helps push down the low x-o point to a sensible value, around 200 or so I would suspect.
                If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

                I prefer music.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Now THAT was a build!

                  I like the fact that the wood was salvaged. The additional interest it lends to the piece is way cool and if you want to talk about "being green" or "energy efficiency", refinishing / repairing / reusing is THE way to go. It keeps junk out of the landfills and the environmental "cost" of milling the raw materials was paid long years ago.

                  Of course, then there's all those VOC's Paul let loose with the stripping & refinishing, but we'll just concentrate on the big picture. ;)
                  nothing can stop me now

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Gorgeous!

                    Really nice woodwork sir.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Looks Promising!

                      Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                      Nice progression up from the Aethers, aesthetically. I hope you're going to put the crossover in the box this time.;)
                      :D:D
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                      *InDIYana event website*

                      Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                      My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Now THAT was a build!

                        They look very nice. Will they be playing at PE's event on July 12?
                        Paul

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I'll have you know!

                          Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                          Nice progression up from the Aethers, aesthetically. I hope you're going to put the crossover in the box this time.;)
                          When I finished the cabinets, I finally mounted the crossover. Those Parts Express buyout subwoofer plates were just the thing.
                          Attached Files
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                          Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Now THAT was a build!

                            Those look good Paul. I am looking forward to hearing them this fall.

                            Doug
                            http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

                            I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I'll have you know!

                              Originally posted by undefinition View Post
                              When I finished the cabinets, I finally mounted the crossover. Those Parts Express buyout subwoofer plates were just the thing.
                              It looks good finished too! I'm curious- Is that Hammered paint? I wonder if my Icthus at Richmond had anything to do with that.....
                              *snicker*
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                              *InDIYana event website*

                              Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                              My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X