Finished ZDT3.5 including CC *Pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished ZDT3.5 including CC *Pics*

I posted this over at HT but decided since this was a PE featured product, id better post them here as well. Thanks to John Krutke for the hours of planning and testing of his designs. I also want to Thank Stangbat for the hours of email replies and helping out building the crossovers and baffles.

Another Thanks to PE for giving me sale pricing on all the components before the ZDT3.5's became a PE featured project. This allowed me to get the job done quickly and Ive since have enjoyed a few months of listening pleasure already! These speakers imagining and accuracy are a thing of beauty!

I pre-built the CC and now that John Krutke has his CC design up, I thought id share that as well. Just ordered the crossover components for the CC from PE today. All that's left to do is build and install the crossovers into the CC cab.

Any questions on the build or my 2 channel, HT plans and theories, ask away. If you noticed, i built the ported CC. Krutke offers a sealed version as well.

Re: Finished ZDT3.5 including CC *Pics*

Beautiful work, excellent fit & finish. I have built some of Zaph's designs myself & have never been disappointed. BTW, where did you get the speaker spikes - I have been looking forever for some like that.
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
      Beautiful work, excellent fit & finish. I have built some of Zaph's designs myself & have never been disappointed. BTW, where did you get the speaker spikes - I have been looking forever for some like that.
      Thanks for the nice words....
      Do a search on ebay. There is a guy there selling them. Be warned tho that they are not designed for real heavy speakers. They will work just fine on these that i built, but you cant walk the speakers to move them. I don't do than anyways, so its not a problem for me in that regard.

Comment

Very, very nice work!

But the difraction from all those mounting bolts must be horrendous.:rolleyes:
        Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Todd G. View Post
          Very, very nice work!

But the difraction from all those mounting bolts must be horrendous.:rolleyes:
          Thanks......

The original design uses just as many but has hex screws and washers instead. Stangbat found these bolts and they work great in using a magnet to attach the grill covers. I'm pretty certain that if Krutke has defraction issues, he would post it.

Comment

Originally posted by blktre View Post
            Thanks......

The original design uses just as many but has hex screws and washers instead. Stangbat found these bolts and they work great in using a magnet to attach the grill covers. I'm pretty certain that if Krutke has defraction issues, he would post it.
            I was joking. I use the same type fastners myself. Speakers that pretty will garner you so much praise I didn't want you getting all full of yourself.

And for the record, when you're having surgery, I'm the friend that visits you in the hospital the night before and tells you not to worry, "most" people survive the operation you're about to have.
            Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

I was joking. I use the same type fastners myself. Speakers that pretty will garner you so much praise I didn't want you getting all full of yourself.
              :o:o:o

Actually, any speaker builder knows there are tiny details that didn't turn out the way they intended. Even tho nobody else will ever see or find them on a dare.

Thanks again. Im impressed at how they turned out. Btw, this is my first speaker build and a first using some of the tools required.

Comment

Originally posted by blktre View Post
                :o:o:o

Actually, any speaker builder knows there are tiny details that didn't turn out the way they intended. Even tho nobody else will ever see or find them on a dare.

Thanks again. Im impressed at how they turned out. Btw, this is my first speaker build and a first using some of the tools required.
                Do yourself a favor and throw away your tools. You'd be hard pressed to do a lot better as far as speaker performance is concerned, and there are thousands of wood working mistakes awaiting you down the road. A very close examination of your pictures has me amazed that these are your first, or even your tenth, pair. The fit and finish appear to be excellent.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and throw away your tools. A very close examination of your pictures has me amazed that these are your first, or even your tenth, pair. The fit and finish appear to be excellent.
                    Truthfully, i didn't take into full account the thickness of the veneer when measuring for the baffle. Its hardly even noticeable at all since the foam sealing tape keeps the baffle a hair off the cab. Also, i used brush on poly to finish these. In hindsight i should of had my buddy spray something else on them to get it to that next level. But its not bad the way it is now. This guy did 10 coats on my bar top and its impeccable.
                    Thanks again.....and thanks to Denton as well....

Comment

Those are beautiful. Congratulations.

RDV

Comment

Excellent!! From what I can tell by the pics, Mr. K might even find the flush fit tolerances to be acceptable!

Very nice photos, too.

I would like to hear them sometime. I wonder if anyone will bring a pair to Iowa this year?

Marvin

Comment

WOW! Nice work.
                          No matter where you go, there you are.
                          Website

Comment

I wish I had 1/64th of the woodworking skill that you possess. They are amazing.

There are only one other pair of cabs I have seen that are that nice and they are teh ones built by my fried who is a master cabinet maker. He did them for another friend of mine while I designed teh speaker. I will get some pics sometime.

Comment

I like the crossover work nice clean look. For some reason My crossover boards never look nice enough to me. I hope you have years of good sound from them. Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X