X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blktre
    replied
    Re: Finished ZDT3.5 including CC *Pics*

The driver mounting bolts are the P/N that Stangbat listed. My problem using them was very easy to overcome and turned out not to be a big deal.
    The problem was the bolts are to long. The thread does not reach the top of the head. So that means when i went thru the 3/4" MDF, the bolt bottomed out at the top of the hurricane nut. It took me a few bolts to figure out a solution.

All i did was add glue of course to the hurricane nut. And when i was screwing the bolts down i stopped at the sweet spot which kept the hurricane nut from completely seating flush on the backside of the MDF. Its not a huge deal as ive had the drivers out multiple times and everything is rock solid. So using that P/N of bolt, just be aware you don't want to suck the hurricane nut up until it bottoms out then stripping the hole in the MDF. I went back w/regular T nuts on the few holes i did that too.

The baffle mounting bolts are hex head antique brass that was painted black. These were found at HD or Lowes in the cabinet/shelf building section. They are #20-1/4" 40mm long i do believe.

Ditto on drilling out the holes in the driver frames as Stang suggested. Wasn't a big deal and i did this when i was marking spots in the baffle so 2 things got done at the same time w/ease.

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

Originally posted by msk View Post
    Congrats on your obvious success..had a question tho, where did you obtain those hex-head mounting bolts?..Mark K
    I'll chime in regarding the bolts and hopefully not step on blktre's toes. He got them from PE and they are P/N 260-778. However, they did not work very well. When used with 3/4" MDF, the unthreaded portion at the top is too long and they bottom out in the nuts before you can get them tight.

I used 1/4"-20 hex bolts too, but I got mine at Lowes. I ended up spending a lot of money for 36 bolts in packages of 2 bolts each. Plus 1/4"-20 bolts are popular and they were always in low supply and it took me several trips to get what I needed. So I recommended he used the bolts from PE as it was cheaper even if he didn't use the T-nuts that are included (he used Hurricane nuts). It ended up saving him money, but causing some problems. I'll let him comment on his solution to get them to work.

Another thing people should know is that the holes in the Dayton RS drivers are too small for 1/4" bolts. You need to enlarge them with a 1/4" drill bit. It doesn't take much and it is pretty easy. You just have to be careful so you don't slip and damage a driver.

Leave a comment:

• Hal H
    replied

Originally posted by msk View Post
    *snip*...had a question tho, where did you obtain those hex-head mounting bolts?..Mark K
    I'd like to know too...

HH

Leave a comment:

• msk
    replied

BEAUTIFUL!!! I am working up the same project for myself this summer..
    Congrats on your obvious success..had a question tho, where did you obtain those hex-head mounting bolts?..Mark K

Leave a comment:

• blktre
    replied

Krutke actually caught this and pmed me asking about it. Once i get the new caps, i will post new pics of it so nobody gets confused if using the pic as reference.

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

Full disclosure for anyone that is building this project, Blktre reminded me of something. In the crossover pics, not all of the C10 caps for the midrange notch filter are installed. When the order was placed, we somehow messed up and did not order all six capacitors for C10, only two. So I built the crossovers knowing that Blktre would have to place another order for the center channel crossover components and we'd pick up the forgotten ones at that time. Blktre ended up having the towers finished and was ready for the crossovers before the CC design was done, so I used four 0.1 uF metallized poly caps from Radio Shack to tide us over. The final components for the CC and replacement C10 caps are on the way now (along with three for the CC's mid filter).

Leave a comment:

• blktre
    replied

I wish I had 1/64th of the woodworking skill that you possess. They are amazing.
    Thanks. This is my first build. I dont really have any woodworking experience. What i do have is some friends w/the right tools to do the job. Using the right tools is the key to everything. The cab's would not of turned out the way they did w/o using the right tools and my attention to detail every step of the way.

There are only one other pair of cabs I have seen that are that nice and they are teh ones built by my fried who is a master cabinet maker. He did them for another friend of mine while I designed teh speaker. I will get some pics sometime.
    wow, thats a very nice compliment......thanks again. Cant wait to see your buddies pics...

like the crossover work nice clean look
    I agree. Stangbat does wonderful work.

Leave a comment:

• philiparcario
    replied

I like the crossover work nice clean look. For some reason My crossover boards never look nice enough to me. I hope you have years of good sound from them. Phil

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

I wish I had 1/64th of the woodworking skill that you possess. They are amazing.

There are only one other pair of cabs I have seen that are that nice and they are teh ones built by my fried who is a master cabinet maker. He did them for another friend of mine while I designed teh speaker. I will get some pics sometime.

Leave a comment:

• gowa
    replied

WOW! Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Excellent!! From what I can tell by the pics, Mr. K might even find the flush fit tolerances to be acceptable!

Very nice photos, too.

I would like to hear them sometime. I wonder if anyone will bring a pair to Iowa this year?

Marvin

Leave a comment:

• rickyvance
    replied

Those are beautiful. Congratulations.

RDV

Leave a comment:

• blktre
    replied

Originally posted by Todd G. View Post
    Do yourself a favor and throw away your tools. A very close examination of your pictures has me amazed that these are your first, or even your tenth, pair. The fit and finish appear to be excellent.
    Truthfully, i didn't take into full account the thickness of the veneer when measuring for the baffle. Its hardly even noticeable at all since the foam sealing tape keeps the baffle a hair off the cab. Also, i used brush on poly to finish these. In hindsight i should of had my buddy spray something else on them to get it to that next level. But its not bad the way it is now. This guy did 10 coats on my bar top and its impeccable.
    Thanks again.....and thanks to Denton as well....

Leave a comment:

• denton
    replied

Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Todd G.
    replied

Originally posted by blktre View Post
    :o:o:o

Actually, any speaker builder knows there are tiny details that didn't turn out the way they intended. Even tho nobody else will ever see or find them on a dare.

Thanks again. Im impressed at how they turned out. Btw, this is my first speaker build and a first using some of the tools required.
    Do yourself a favor and throw away your tools. You'd be hard pressed to do a lot better as far as speaker performance is concerned, and there are thousands of wood working mistakes awaiting you down the road. A very close examination of your pictures has me amazed that these are your first, or even your tenth, pair. The fit and finish appear to be excellent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X