Dayton DIY score sheets are posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DIY score sheets are posted

The Dayton DIY score sheets have been posted at http://www.daytondiy.com.

We would like to thank all who participated and made the event really worth the effort it took to pull it off.

Hope to see you all again next year!
    Last edited by MikeV@parts-express.com; 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM.

Re: Dayton DIY score sheets are posted

Great job Mike! You da man! :D

Comment

Next year, it would be absolutely fabulous if you would make it a point to photograph each speaker with it's number card as they are entered. Sort of a mug shot. It would help those of us who can't attend to put a face with a number, so to speak.
      Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV@parts-express.com View Post
        The Dayton DIY score sheets have been posted at http://www.daytondiy.com.

We would like to thank all who participated and made the event really worth the effort it took to pull it off.

Hope to see you all again next year!
        Are you still sending out the hard-copies?
        Curious,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If I may add to suggestions for next year.

Would an Audessy system allow quick level matching of different sets of speakers?

Could a better seating arrangement be provided for the judges?
          Early on, Darren ditched his seat over in left field in favor of a center position on the floor. His listening position was the most unusual of all of them, and probably the most uncomfortable throughout the day.
          Mongo only pawn in game of life
          ____
          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Are you still sending out the hard-copies?
            Curious,
            Wolf
            Hard copies will still be sent out. We'll have to discuss the excess postage charges for yours, of coarse. :D

Comment

These are very interesting numbers

I have been playing a game to see what happens if you concentrate on pure sound quality. In other words, factor out Build Quality and Originality of Design, then compare the average of the three number left.

I wonder if the numbers can be compared across groups? In other words, can the Dayton group be compared to the under $200 group to the over $200 group, or do the numbers only designate the standing within the group?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd G. View Post
                Next year, it would be absolutely fabulous if you would make it a point to photograph each speaker with it's number card as they are entered. Sort of a mug shot. It would help those of us who can't attend to put a face with a number, so to speak.
                Todd, I agree, we need to do that. The score sheets still have the SP number that was assigned to the project, so if you pull up my photo album you will see most of the projects images have the SP card sitting on top of the project. If there is one project you interested in looking at, you could cross match them. Good suggestion.

Link to my Dayton DIY photo album is HERE

Comment

I'm not sure what instructions were given to the judges, but I would suggest that cross category comparisons are not really valid, particularly between the under $200 group and the other two. The reason I say this is that the other two groups are cost unlimited. The under $200 group was also the first group listened to. This would naturally effect the judges scoring, since they would 1) have no frame of reference to compare the first speakers to, and 2) they would have to leave room for higher scoring in the 2 unlimited price categories, IMHO. Also, there was a lunch break between the under $200 category and the other two. It would also be hard to accurately compare speakers you listened two several hours apart.
                  Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by richt@daytonaudio.com View Post
                    Todd, I agree, we need to do that. The score sheets still have the SP number that was assigned to the project, so if you pull up my photo album you will see most of the projects images have the SP card sitting on top of the project. If there is one project you interested in looking at, you could cross match them. Good suggestion.

Link to my Dayton DIY photo album is HERE
                    I honestly think the originality/craftmanship skewed the SQ results enough to make comparisons less effective. Usually, a category of such is a non-averaged quality, and just an honored opinion, or awarded for aesthetics only. It really is about the SQ, not the finish, for most aspects of this hobby.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

First off, congrats to all the winners!:D

The scorecards are quite interesting. The range in scoring from the judges for individual entries struck me. Also, looking closer you can definitely tell that some of the judges have contrasting ideas of what good tonal balance is, for example. Some would score high and others low on certain entries and vice versa.

Wish I could've been there. Maybe next time

Toby
                      None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Comment

Will definitely come back next year, and probably bring some speakers this time.

But - could we please arrange for at least an hour or so of "free listening" where the rest of us (who don't get to sit in the judges seats) can listen to some of the speakers a little longer, and a little louder? For most of us it was actually hard to even hear the speakers clearly sitting further back. Perhaps the speakers chosen to audition during that period would be chosen by nomination, then voting by a show of hands.

Also, would like to see judging done on sound quality alone, with other categories being secondary. Basically just: how good does the speaker sound?

Then there could be smaller prizes for categories like "best craftsmanship", "most clever design" etc.
                        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                          Then there could be smaller prizes for categories like "best craftsmanship", "most clever design" etc.
                          My vote for the smaller prizes categories would be "Worst finish" and "Not made by Wolf".
                          Maybe trinkets could be given for those prizes eh?

cheers,

AJ
                          Last edited by ajinfla; 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Here's the thing

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            I honestly think the originality/craftmanship skewed the SQ results enough to make comparisons less effective. Usually, a category of such is a non-averaged quality, and just an honored opinion, or awarded for aesthetics only. It really is about the SQ, not the finish, for most aspects of this hobby.
                            Yeah, this meet was unusual for me in that respect.

Building a speaker, your design or someone else's, is not necessarily a walk in the park. Craftsmanship and originality should be honored. But to count it in the overall score might skew results. Here's why:
                            I'm no veteran designer, but I've already had a few people build my designs, and I've built other people's designs. The fact is, the nature of DIYers is that everyone wants to put their own spin on things, or make their own mods, even if it's just cosmetic. It makes me happy that I can design a speaker (that might not look that special), then someone else who is a better woodworker can build it and make it look awesome. I enjoy that. I am still new to this hobby, but I've been working with sound and music for 20 years, so I know where my strength lies. My "gift" that I can give to the community is a good-sounding design (the "plans" or "blueprints" if you will), where a hobbyist or craftsman can then apply HIS strengths and know he'll end up with a product he can be proud of.

So I guess, to me, these events are a place to listen to the BLUEPRINTS, and review which ones they might want to build. People who don't attend often ask, "How did such-and-such sound," because they themselves are interested in building certain designs. (Let's not kid ourselves, building speaker isn't exactly cheap. People want to know that their efforts will pay off with a good sound when they're all done)
                            The events are also a cool place to show off and share craftsmanship, but that's serving a whole different purpose. If there were a separate judging category for originality or fit and finish, I would definitely honor that, because there are some jaw-dropping woodworkers, finishers, and auto body skills in attendance at every event I've been to.

My 2 cents.
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Ditto!

I mean *COME ON*! Would any of us have a chance against Neubecker? I think not for "finish". FWIW, He's sorta newb too. He's built maybe 6-7 pair, of which about 4 are his own designs.

I felt if I had brought anything in naked-MDF, it would've resulted in a terrible aesthetic score. I'm glad I got the 2i finished, but even then, my projects didn't get anything more than merely-average/slightly better than average aesthetic scores.

I'm still shocked the Deut's beat the Mn-14 in score.:eek: I suppose the time separatoin between categories might be to blame there.

The Icthus did what it was supposed to, so I did "repair" it.

I guess Pete's Talus and my Mn-14 are very close in most regards, as there was only a point difference with him edging it. Mine had better bass! Neener!:p
                              Alright- enough rambling....
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X