Single Disc CD Players :

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Disc CD Players :

What is the best sounding single disc CD player , from $ 200 to $ 300 ?
    Extra " feaures " aren't important , just the sound . [ Of course , I need to see which track and the time , etc. ] Is the Burr - Brown still the best DAC ?
    I realize the chip is only the start , and that the unit must also have equal quality electronics to support the chip !
    Also , where are the best places to buy these .

TIA ,
    David V. Webber

Re: Single Disc CD Players :

For that price range, I have no idea. The Oppo would be my best guess...

But always check the used market, you can sometimes snag a high-end unit for little cash...

www.audiogon.com

Example: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1221235623

While $390 isn't exactly pocket change, Meridian players pull much more than that, on a regular basis. Now it's no 808, but the 506 is still a very nice player.
    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

All the cd players in your price range from popular brands should sound the same, even dvd players. However I wouldn't suggest Marantz/Denon because I've never been impressed with their build quality, at least in the less expensive units, but i'm sure thats one of the first brands that will be suggested. Pick one that has the features you need, and at the right price. If you want sound quality gains, put the extra money into your speakers.
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by davidvwebber View Post
        Extra " feaures " aren't important , just the sound . [ Of course , I need to see which track and the time , etc. ] Is the Burr - Brown still the best DAC ?
        I realize the chip is only the start , and that the unit must also have equal quality electronics to support the chip !

TIA ,
        David V. Webber
        This Marantz player is nice:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Player/1.html

You might also check out Pioneer and Denon. Both brands have consistently had great sounding players in that price range over the years. Also, some of the Oppo universal players have gotten great press for their sound quality. Another option is to get the transport (most are pretty good) and an outboard DAC. Some of the DACs made 10 years ago still kick buttt today. Check Ebay and Craigslist.

Good luck!

Toby
        None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          All the cd players in your price range from popular brands should sound the same, even dvd players. However I wouldn't suggest Marantz/Denon because I've never been impressed with their build quality, at least in the less expensive units, but i'm sure thats one of the first brands that will be suggested. Pick one that has the features you need, and at the right price. If you want sound quality gains, put the extra money into your speakers.
          I agree with you AJ that speaks are the best place to invest for good sound, but source equipment is pretty important, too. There can be big differences in sound from players in that price range. Truly, the best option would be an outboard DAC. Lots of options there in the used market as Nick pointed out.

Forgot to mention, Burr-Brown is still a great DAC chip, but there are a number of other good ones out there as well.

Toby

Comment

If you are interested in used, a Sony ES unit from early '90's through 2000-ish might be your ticket. I've got a couple of 777's and a 555, all of which are built on a solid machined aluminium frame and are structurally the best built and mechanically the best functioning CD players I've ever seen by far. They also have optical and coax output for newer a/d converters if you feel they're needed. These units were consistantly in Stereophile's Class A. I haven't checked prices or availability, but if you can find one of these units in good shape they would be worth looking into.
            Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

Ones and Zeros, thats all it is, just Ones and Zeros. If there are big differences between CD source equipment, please show me the level matched AB or AB-X data that has you convinced.
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Brace Yourselves, Here We Go Again!! :p:p

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

Comment

Ones and Zeros, thats all it is, just Ones and Zeros. If there are big differences between CD source equipment, please show me the level matched AB or AB-X data that has you convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by davidvwebber View Post

TIA ,
                    David V. Webber

I'll be getting one of the Cambridge, which came highly recommended by Jeff Bagby. IIRC, he has the 640C. My budget is a bit smaller, so I'll be going with the 340C:

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridg...Audio_340c.asp

Slightly over your budget, but if you look around on Spearit's site, they have demo's and re-furb's with warranties that might come in under $300. Jeff recommended Spearit...they even sent him an NAD and a Cambridge to compare and said send back the one you don't want. I think Shawn A. has heard the Cambridge at Jeff's house.

John A.
                    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                    Pioneer TX-9500 II
                    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                    Statement Monitors
                    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Video displays vary because of the quality of the films and the light source used. Response time and refresh rates also will vary between cheap and expensive units. If the audio we heard was in the 1Mhz area I'd agree with you, but it isn't. Even extremely cheap IC's are plenty fast enough for the audio band to not add their own distortions.

Sorry Nick, no flame throwing here. Non-civil threads are a waste of time as they never get anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
                        I'll be getting one of the Cambridge, which came highly recommended by Jeff Bagby. IIRC, he has the 640C. My budget is a bit smaller, so I'll be going with the 340C:

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridg...Audio_340c.asp

Slightly over your budget, but if you look around on Spearit's site, they have demo's and re-furb's with warranties that might come in under $300. Jeff recommended Spearit...they even sent him an NAD and a Cambridge to compare and said send back the one you don't want. I think Shawn A. has heard the Cambridge at Jeff's house.

John A.

I REALLY like the 840C... If there's any "trickle-down" to the 340.. Then I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

Comment

While I agree that the information on the CD is the same, the DA conversion and error correction are pretty important.

You can take a decent used transport, and add on a solid DAC.

Or, something like this is a solid midrange choice (I know it's a bit more than your budget, but pretty nice.)

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridg...dio_540cv2.asp
                          audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Originally posted by nick29498141 View Post
                            I REALLY like the 840C... If there's any "trickle-down" to the 340.. Then I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

Oh yeah, that's the one I'd choose, too! If my funds allowed it...but I think you're correct about the "trickle down". I'll be taking delivery of my new motorcycle next month, bought with the money I got from the sale of my Gold Wing. I thought I would have a bit more $$ left over, but it looks like I won't have enough to get one of the better models, like the 540 or 640. So I think the 340 will be a big step up from the modded Technics SL-PG500 player I have now. It's an oldie-but-goody and will serve duty in the family room with another oldie-goody, my Yamaha CR-420 receiver.

John A.
                            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                            Pioneer TX-9500 II
                            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                            Statement Monitors
                            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Video displays vary because of the quality of the films and the light source used. Response time and refresh rates also will vary between cheap and expensive units. If the audio we heard was in the 1Mhz area I'd agree with you, but it isn't. Even extremely cheap IC's are plenty fast enough for the audio band to not add their own distortions.

Sorry Nick, no flame throwing here. Non-civil threads are a waste of time as they never get anywhere.
                              Not worth arguing AJ. You're too nice a kid to beat up on (just kidding)

Again, the 1s and 0s are interpreted. Not all DACs do it the same. Different techniques of DAC, different designs. Besides, the analog circuitry can be easily polluted with noise by a poor design. What about transport jitter?

Remember, these are complex machines, not interconnects.

Agree to disagree?

Toby

Comment

Working...
                              X