DIY Chicago -- any interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Chicago -- any interest?

My wife joined me for the Dayton DIY 2008. And hard as it may be to believe, she found it fairly interesting, and said that if I wanted to host an event that she would be willing to help. I don't actually know how many DIYers there are in Chicagoland, but I know there are a ton of us in the midwest. It may also be a good chance to bring some people out of the north (you know I'm talking to you, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan!) to meet the rest of us.

I've been thinking about locations for a while. I wouldn't have it in downtown Chicago, but rather probably in the northwest suburbs. Schaumburg is ideally located and has a lot of very nice hotels and meeting space. I was also thinking of asking my alma mater, Elmhurst College (also ideally located), if they would let me use their recital hall to host. There are lots of possibilities, really. I'm not too worried about that.

My main concern is WHEN. I don't really know when would be a good month to host an event. Iowa happens in October, Shawn's event was in April, Dayton was July... any other good ideas? I know we can set our watch to Iowa, but I don't know about InDIYana or Dayton for next year.

Oh also, one more thing: Wolf and I have been talking about a "small speaker shootout." Entries would have to be smaller than 6x6x9 (2.5 liters max). I'd like to have this as part of the event... even if it's not a contest per se, but just for fun.

So what do you all think? Any comments, suggestions for a date? Who might be interested in attending?
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: DIY Chicago -- any interest?

I would be there for certain, but it would have to be sometime in November. Would a 3 liter FR125S project count for that shootout...only 6mm Xmax, after all!

Comment

Depending on when, I'd consider flying in for a NW suburb event. O'Hare is convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
        My wife joined me for the Dayton DIY 2008. And hard as it may be to believe, she found it fairly interesting, and said that if I wanted to host an event that she would be willing to help. I don't actually know how many DIYers there are in Chicagoland, but I know there are a ton of us in the midwest. It may also be a good chance to bring some people out of the north (you know I'm talking to you, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan!) to meet the rest of us.

I've been thinking about locations for a while. I wouldn't have it in downtown Chicago, but rather probably in the northwest suburbs. Schaumburg is ideally located and has a lot of very nice hotels and meeting space. I was also thinking of asking my alma mater, Elmhurst College (also ideally located), if they would let me use their recital hall to host. There are lots of possibilities, really. I'm not too worried about that.

My main concern is WHEN. I don't really know when would be a good month to host an event. Iowa happens in October, Shawn's event was in April, Dayton was July... any other good ideas? I know we can set our watch to Iowa, but I don't know about InDIYana or Dayton for next year.

Oh also, one more thing: Wolf and I have been talking about a "small speaker shootout." Entries would have to be smaller than 6x6x9 (2.5 liters max). I'd like to have this as part of the event... even if it's not a contest per se, but just for fun.

So what do you all think? Any comments, suggestions for a date? Who might be interested in attending?
        You know I'm interested! I would say, thinking about it more, that 3.5 ltrs should be a better cutoff, and closer to the 6x6x9 specs. This would then include the general rat-coffins and zaph's B3S/my Dragon Foals design(s) in the running.

As to when- Dayton has been in July, October, and November.
        Iowa is October.
        Shawn's is April.
        Lexington *was* Black Weekend last fall.

Personally, I would think that fall, rather than Spring, would be better, as the summer-productivity is slowing, and many of us have completed some things. It seems to me that Early/Mid-Sept. would be nice.
        Just my thoughts,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
          I would be there for certain, but it would have to be sometime in November. Would a 3 liter FR125S project count for that shootout...only 6mm Xmax, after all!
          I would think so. We were thinking a largest-driver entered would be: 4.5" *as-listed*, not frame diameter. It still would have to fit on the 6x9 baffle.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I would enjoy attending. I cannot recall if there has been a chicago DIY since the 2004 event at Paul Hilgeman's house. It was a nice event and with a larger venue, it could be awesome.

Brian

Comment

Depending on the date I would definitely attend. Perhaps even carpool down with some of the more Northern WI DIY'ers. It's close enough to even make it a day trip, save the hotel costs, but there must be a burrito shop nearby:p
              still lurking...

Comment

I'd like to come but I'd have to fly this time. No more 9-11hr drives for me for awhile. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jed K. View Post
                  I'd like to come but I'd have to fly this time. No more 9-11hr drives for me for awhile. :D
                  Where's your sense of adventure!? *snicker*
                  I guess that means we wouldn't have any of your speakers included in the demos though! ;)
                  Later,
                  Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Paul,

You know I would be interested but it won't happen for me this year. I'm just to damn busy this fall.

Doug
                    http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

OK, been giving this lots of thought. I'm really pleased with the positive response I've gotten, too. As much as I'd love to do one in September or November, I just couldn't get it together in time, and it wouldn't happen until next fall. So how about next March or June (2009)? :D
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
                        OK, been giving this lots of thought. I'm really pleased with the positive response I've gotten, too. As much as I'd love to do one in September or November, I just couldn't get it together in time, and it wouldn't happen until next fall. So how about next March or June (2009)? :D
                        I would think March is early to get much done in time for an event if someone is completing something new, however, to me June would be too hot. I guess you'll always have people with opinions about the timing, but maybe Next September?
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I'm in the Milwaukee area, so if the timing worked out OK I would try to attend. It would give me a good reason to speed up production ona project.

JML

Comment

I was hoping for Sept 27 - this year - would have made it with speakers. Thanks for the effort though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              Where's your sense of adventure!? *snicker*
                              I guess that means we wouldn't have any of your speakers included in the demos though! ;)
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              Could fit a pair of speakers in the luggage! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X