Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Observations on the Rating of Speakers (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations on the Rating of Speakers (long)

overall

Re: Observations on the Rating of Speakers (long)

Maynard, you've given me inspiration for my next stats class!:D

Your QC analogy is pretty comprehensive. Now add in the non typical venue (room acoustics) and your QC people are doing color matching under sodium vapor lights...

Put those "best" 4-6 speakers in front of most of us, and I'll bet we could hear subtle differences. Which is "best" will be a matter of personal taste.

If there has to be judging, maybe another way to judge would be for each "registered" participant to be given 3 "voting" poker chips. Put a can with a drop slot in front of every speaker. You can put 1-3 chips in any can. Report those with 5-10 chips ; 10-20 etc. ;
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

People who are chosen as speaker system judges should undergo a hearing test first. Then choose the judges who have the highest rating and send the rest to Bose.
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
        People who are chosen as speaker system judges should undergo a hearing test first. Then choose the judges who have the highest rating and send the rest to Bose.
        If that were the case, I'd be a judge. Just ask Jim Holtz... and refer to my most recent hearing tests being perfect. Not boasting, as I have a counter-statement; You must either have been acoustically trained, played in a symphonic band, played an instrument, or built many speakers. There's more to it than good hearing.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
          If there has to be judging, maybe another way to judge would be for each "registered" participant to be given 3 "voting" poker chips. Put a can with a drop slot in front of every speaker. You can put 1-3 chips in any can. Report those with 5-10 chips ; 10-20 etc. ;
          youv've got the idea. . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

my 2c worth,
          Adrian

Comment

Wolf, you are wise beyond your ears. Good point.
            No matter where you go, there you are.
            Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
              Wolf, you are wise beyond your ears. Good point.
              I see what you did, there. ;)

And I really like the idea of poker chips as a method of voting. You'd still want there to be some delineation between the various speaker classes so that one design doesn't entirely steal the whole freakin' show, but as poker chips usually come in 3 or 4 colors, that's easy to do. Instead of "budget", "midrange" and "unlimited", the classes become "white", "red", and "blue".
              nothing can stop me now

Comment

I'm glad you decided to post this Maynard. I would also like to point out that this doesn't mean that the judging has no value it just means that we have to take the scores with a grain of salt. It also give a good argument for making the evaluation sheets for the Iowa event a little smaller.

Doug
                http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Bump.

With Dayton 2009 coming up this serves as a reminder to those participating. Their truly are limits to the usability of results from the judging.

Comment

Working...
                  X