20 Hz to 20 kHz Dipole Speaker System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Hz to 20 kHz Dipole Speaker System

I have been busy the past couple of months designing, building, and testing a new two way dipole speaker system. The resulting speaker has an efficiency of 88 dB/W/m and covers the full spectrum from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. You can find pictures and the documentation of the design on the Projects page of my web site.

Martin

http://www.quarter-wave.com
    Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
    www.quarter-wave.com

Re: 20 Hz to 20 kHz Dipole Speaker System

Thanks Martin,
    That system looks cool,
    nice to see a simplified Dipole that isn't huge and has bass.

Comment

It is pretty sad when a serious speaker design gets 1 response and 53 views while Vas's latest offering has 33 responses and over 500 views. Makes me wonder about the PE forum and what people here are interested in discussing. Not many of the regulars left from a few years ago.

Think it is time for me to move on,

Martin
      Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
      www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Interesting.

Aren't those Lowthers not known for low distortion or good off-axis response?

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
          It is pretty sad when a serious speaker design gets 1 response and 53 views while Vas's latest offering has 33 responses and over 500 views. Makes me wonder about the PE forum and what people here are interested in discussing. Not many of the regulars left from a few years ago.

Martin

:rolleyes:
          Last edited by ajinfla; 09-19-2008, 08:16 PM. Reason: link

Comment

I am very surprised by the use of a Goldwood driver in your project. I have really never heard anything good about them except for the price. That may be that most of their woofers do require a large sealed enclosure or are not used at all in a vented enclosure.

If you had the option to do use the Eminence you had previously used would you choose it over the Goldwood?

Thanks for sharing your hard work with the rest of us!

DaveH

Comment

Martin
              Nah, the regulars don't roll in until the evenings. And you've got a lot there to digest. Don't give up on us yet. :o
              nothing can stop me now

Comment

Martin,

A very interesting speaker project this!

Unfortunately I think my listening room may be a bit too small or I would love to build a pair.

Cheers!
                Russ

Comment

Martin
                  LOL - I agree about the forum, format change, etc notwithstanding - in my case I didn't feel qualified to comment and was waiting for someone with more experience with full range setups to get the ball rolling. In Vas' case it is like a car crash, the occupants of the bus will gladly rush to one side and tip the bus over in order to view the carnage. And we rewind and play it again.

Don't fade away, though, we need more intellectual fodder and less cannon fodder.

Besides, Vas makes us all feel superior.
                  When you run make sure you run,
                  to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

Re: I found 3 punctuation errors in...

the second sentence of the third paragraph of the Introduction. There, now you'll know someone IS paying attention! I usually don't even look at this forum until 7 PM or so, and I suspect many others do something similar. Just be patient.

It's going to take some time to read and digest your 24-page article, but I'm sure you've done a bang-up job and created a great speaker system.

As to Vas, I stopped reading his posts a long time ago other than the recent thread he started where he claimed he was going to stop being a m0r0n. Yeah, right.
                    Paul

Martin

Comment

Martin
                      Might have been a problem with the board!
                      I check in here at least hourly throughout the day and I didn't see your message
                      before I left at 5 pm.

Anyways, I certainly appreciate not only your technical acumen, but your explanations
                      with "just enough math" to explain the theory. I've been thinking about dipole and
                      open baffle lately, and your paper from September 07 is the bible, as far as I am concerned.

Please don't go!
                      -Don

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Hi Martin,

Long time no hear ! Great to see you are still dooing it. !!

Nice timing on this too. Looks like an interesting approach to a cheapish all OB speaker. Its always seemed a problem getting adequate bass (for balance) without all the heavy boost and therefore possible excursion issues. It all comes down to driver choice, I guess.

I plan to use this driver, http://members.optusnet.com.au/~grad...car15%20PA.jpg because I have a pair I am not using. I am aware that the Fs ia a bit high, and the Qts is a bit low, so I don't expect to get down as low as I would like, or the bass unit to be as small as I would like. Still only an idea stage at the moment.
                        If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Re: Okay, now I've read your paper

A very good and interesting design. I realize you had a couple of issues on real measurements not correlating as well as you'd like with predicted results, but correlations were good overall. It's a pretty simple design to build and performs quite well. A good design job and an equally good write-up.
                          Paul

I have been busy the past couple of months designing, building, and testing a new two way dipole speaker system. The resulting speaker has an efficiency of 88 dB/W/m and covers the full spectrum from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. You can find pictures and the documentation of the design on the Projects page of my web site.

Martin

http://www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

I know I shouldn't admit this publicly, but I've never actually heard true dipole bass. I certainly WANT to. This H-frame design you used for this project is definitely the smartest (and somewhat compact) solution I've seen yet, and by halfway through the writeup I found myself getting quite excited.

But then at the end I read that you actively crossed and amplified and I felt my heart sink. And I realize that SL and John K are pretty much do-or-die active circuitry advocates, but I just keep wishing that there was a passive solution. It just seems so much simpler to put bass in a box.... I've had a number of people look at the XO for the Aethers and ask, "Is that the whole crossover? How'd you get away with so few parts?" (I asked Andy the same question when he first showed me the Blackwoods)

But I want to hear what this "unboxed bass" sounds like! I've been a performing, composing musician for over half my life, and I want to to find out what my ears think of "free air" bass. Will it sound that much more real? But until I come across a relatively simple--and compact--solution for dipole bass, I'll never hear it in my own house. (Although Martin, this H-frame is darn close to "doable") So in the meantime, I'll just pray that someone out there has a massive, full dipole setup in their house and they invite me over.
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Dipole bass can be achieved with passive components without too much problem. I have a test dipole speaker in my basement with a simple inductor+resistor in series with the woofers and was getting bass flat down to 35 hz before it began to roll off, measured with ARTA at 1m. The drivers are a pair of the discontinued 12" Elemental Designs EHQS12 in a U-frame of 8" depth. I only used a U-frame so I could cross to the mids higher but a similar sized H-frame will give you a better dipole pattern and dig just as deep. The plan was to build these for the PE Tent Sale but I couldn't get them into the low budget price range. THEN PE announced the restriction didn't include crossover parts but it was too late as I had run out of time to get them done. Estimation is I'll have the pair built for under $400 with dual RS180s and an undecided tweeter (up to $50/each), including all passive crossover components.

Ahhh...I dug up a picture:

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
                              I know I shouldn't admit this publicly, but I've never actually heard true dipole bass. I certainly WANT to. This H-frame design you used for this project is definitely the smartest (and somewhat compact) solution I've seen yet, and by halfway through the writeup I found myself getting quite excited.

But then at the end I read that you actively crossed and amplified and I felt my heart sink. And I realize that SL and John K are pretty much do-or-die active circuitry advocates, but I just keep wishing that there was a passive solution. It just seems so much simpler to put bass in a box.... I've had a number of people look at the XO for the Aethers and ask, "Is that the whole crossover? How'd you get away with so few parts?" (I asked Andy the same question when he first showed me the Blackwoods)

But I want to hear what this "unboxed bass" sounds like! I've been a performing, composing musician for over half my life, and I want to to find out what my ears think of "free air" bass. Will it sound that much more real? But until I come across a relatively simple--and compact--solution for dipole bass, I'll never hear it in my own house. (Although Martin, this H-frame is darn close to "doable") So in the meantime, I'll just pray that someone out there has a massive, full dipole setup in their house and they invite me over.

Comment

Working...
                              X