RS180 2-ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS180 2-ways

I'm just trying to get a mental survey of the RS180 2-way (TM) designs out there. To my knowledge there are only 3:

Jon Marsh - Modula MT
    JayWJ - 2-way sealed bookshelf (Seas tweeter, right?)
    Lou C - Cryolite

The only one I've heard in person was the Modula. It was quite nice! If anyone has other designs I don't know about, please add them. And if you own--or have built--any of the mentioned designs, don't be afraid to tell what you like or do not like about them (ie: midrange clarity, bass extension, imaging, etc.)

(By the way, if anyone has a pair of RS180s that they would like to sell me, send me a PM)

Thanks!
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: What about Dr. K's MTM?

Right here in the PE Showcase!
    Paul

Comment

Re: RS180 2-ways

Hmm, IIRC, none at all with the RS-180-4.

bb

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
      - Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)

Comment

Re: Oops, you said TM, not MTM or TMM

I guess I'd better read posts more closely before replying.
        Paul

Comment

That's a tough one, Paul. There are a limited number of tweeters one would really want to cross with the RS-180. The only things that haven't been done IMHO that could be worth doing in an RS-180 would be an Usher tweeter or a Vifa XT-25. Oherwise, maybe a small "full range" driver to cross lower to the RS-180.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
            That's a tough one, Paul. There are a limited number of tweeters one would really want to cross with the RS-180. The only things that haven't been done IMHO that could be worth doing in an RS-180 would be an Usher tweeter or a Vifa XT-25. Oherwise, maybe a small "full range" driver to cross lower to the RS-180.
            Yeah, tweeter choice is certainly limited, although I actually hadn't thought of the two you mentioned. Anyway, I may repeat others' tweeter choices for two reasons: 1, the design I'm working up is not a bookshelf at all and 2. I'm just curious what kind of sound I can make. :D

I see no reason to top the Modula TM or the Cryolite in terms of designing another bookshelf 2-way using the RS180, and I have no desire to. I'm going for a different look and feel. We'll see how it turns out I just put this thread up because was just looking for feedback from people's impressions of the RS180 2-ways that are out there right now.

Comment

The RS180 needs a pretty low crossover point (2khz or lower) for a 2-way, if memory serves.

Suitable tweeters I can think of include:
              -Dayton ND28
              -Dayton RS28A (used in Modula MTs)
              -Seas 27TDFC (used in Modula MTs)
              -Seas 27TBFC/G (used in Modula MTs)
              -that wacky new low-FS Tang-Band beryllium tweeter (just don't am pit too loud!)
              -Heil AMT (1.6khz xover point anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                The RS180 needs a pretty low crossover point (2khz or lower) for a 2-way, if memory serves.
                Wouldn't that argue against the Vifa XT25?

However, all the Usher textile domes can be crossed fairly low.

Comment

I think the XT25 can cross low enough based on Jon Marsh's use of it in the Elaine Marie and his earlier design with the HiVi M8a (its name escapes me at the moment). Zaph also uses it in a second-order design with a Scanspeak woofer (using a conjugate notch on the rather nasty resonance peak). Last year, I cobbled together a small monitor using the XT25 and Vifa MG-14 woofer that integrated well using LR4 slopes at 2 kHz (by way of a second order series crossover). I think a similar approach might work with the RS-180, or probably better with the RS-150.

Paul,

I mentioned what I did because I have a pair of RS-180's on the shelf -because I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. Since you were trolling around for a pair, I might be willing to help - send me a PM if you are interested.
                  Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Maybe a Peerless HDS tweeter?

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post

Suitable tweeters I can think of include:
                      -Dayton ND28
                      I don't think the ND28 can go as low as 1.5 ~ 1.6 KHz.
                      Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                      2-2.5 Way:
                      Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                      3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Originally posted by fjhuerta View Post
                        I don't think the ND28 can go as low as 1.5 ~ 1.6 KHz.
                        The RS180 is crossed over at 2khz in the Cryolites - the ND28 should be fine.

Comment

2khz is not the best use of the RS180.
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
                            I'm just trying to get a mental survey of the RS180 2-way (TM) designs out there. To my knowledge there are only 3:

Jon Marsh - Modula MT
                            JayWJ - 2-way sealed bookshelf (Seas tweeter, right?)
                            Lou C - Cryolite

The only one I've heard in person was the Modula. It was quite nice! If anyone has other designs I don't know about, please add them. And if you own--or have built--any of the mentioned designs, don't be afraid to tell what you like or do not like about them (ie: midrange clarity, bass extension, imaging, etc.)

(By the way, if anyone has a pair of RS180s that they would like to sell me, send me a PM)

Thanks!

Well, I have an MTM with the RS180-8 and the RS28a that I built for a pro client that I have never shared here. It crosses at about 1.7kHz. I have the measurement files and I know they are good because the finished design matches up very well, so I could load them up and do an MT sim for you with the files if you want. I would have pretty high confidence in the results.
                            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                              so I could load them up and do an MT sim for you with the files if you want. I would have pretty high confidence in the results.
                              I'm pretty confident in your results, too! :D

Thanks for the offer, maestro, but I need to set out and try this one for myself. ... just forgive this prodigal son if I come running back crying for mercy ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X