DOTD Audiopulse 10" Sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOTD Audiopulse 10" Sub

Are these worth the investmen vs. other (cheaper) 10" subs for music/HT?

Re: DOTD Audiopulse 10" Sub

It's only a few dollars more than the Reference 10" right now, at the DOTD price it is one of the better subs (on paper) out there. It has nearly double the output capability of the reference HO 10" due to it's 22mm Xmax. I think matched up with either the BASH or Dayton 500 Watt amps in 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 26 Hz it would be a legitimate world class small subwoofer.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Johnny... thanks for the input. What about SQ? That's my biggest concern.

Comment

"It has nearly double the output capability of the reference HO 10" due to it's 22mm Xmax"

As you may remember, the world famous rock band Spinal Tap weren't concerned with 'quality'. They declared one of the reasons for their success was the fact that their amps went up to 11.

More volume, more fame...
        If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. SPL vs. SQ is precisely why I posed this question. DOTD ends at midnight.

Originally posted by the kid View Post
          "It has nearly double the output capability of the reference HO 10" due to it's 22mm Xmax"

As you may remember, the world famous rock band Spinal Tap weren't concerned with 'quality'. They declared one of the reasons for their success was the fact that their amps went up to 11.

More volume, more fame...

Comment

As far as SQ, I would put the Audiopulse up against the Dayton as well. Probably win, too. Snide Spinal Tap references aside, anything else to add?
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

i think TC Sounds ( Audiopulse ) has better sound quality than any subwoofer money can buy

the only reasons not to buy one are

1 - cost
              2 - weight
              3 - lots of amplifier power required
              4 - possible need for equalization due to very low Q for most models

with Audiopulse the limiting factor in sound quality of your setup is likely to be your room acoustics

my only beef with TC Sounds is that back when i was ordering direct from them they didn't have a packaging scheme that would adequately protect the driver in shipping. you would pay $1000 for the driver and another $75 for shipping, then wait for 3 months and receive it almost completely destroyed. I had same result when ordering from woofersetc.com. I don't know if PE also has a tendency to do that when shipping Audiopulse drivers or not.

People who package products are generally not intelligent enough to do it right. Most of the time this is not a problem but when it comes to extremely sensitive ( hard drives ) or extremely heavy ( TC Sounds subwoofers ) products you can run into serious problems.

Comment

Thanks for the input, folks. I do appreciate it. Now... if I can just sweet-talk PE into extending the price through today

Comment

Mike,
                  I am not a believer in "Excursion Giants". Their low sensitivity and gobs of back EMF can be annoying. Not to mention it takes time to throw the cone out that far. Regardless of how good it looks on paper, these are harsh truths.

You would be better off with a dual 10" push/pull set up of the TB WT-1427B. With rought a 91dB seneitivity at 8 ohms nom... for a 100W input to the TB's you would need over 400W to have the same output in the audiopulse...

Just a different POV. :rolleyes:

Comment

^^^ I like different perspectives.

Especially when they differ from Vas' opinion. JK, Vas. :p

Comment

Re: ^^^ I like different perspectives.

Originally posted by mike1234 View Post
                      Especially when they differ from Vas' opinion. JK, Vas. :p
                      Since I have been more of a lurker lately... I notice a truth there. :D

Comment

I like a little less xmax myself. I have a feeling the audiopluse may sound a little muddy to my ears. while my dayton rss390 and the nht1259's sound right for my ears. I have never heard a good sounding sub with super xmax small box lots of power. i also have not heard the audiopulse I just don't want to spend the money to find out.

Comment

Phil,
                          I agree, I don't think a sub with a 2mm one way x-max is supreme, but when you get above 6mm one way, I find that music with hard transients on the kick drum mussy up the bass line and they need some OOBER power to drive properly.

Comment

Hmm... it's the low vs. high Xmax thing. This has always kunfyoozed me. I wish Zaph would chime in with a big fat "WHY" low Xmax is better.

Comment

Zaph's explanation is posted on his site: http://www.zaphaudio.com/lowxmax.html

Marv

Comment

Working...
                              X