Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty much Iowa-bound! "Canvas" prelim opinions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty much Iowa-bound! "Canvas" prelim opinions....

I loaded up tonight, so I could get a good nights sleep after work (later today). All that is left is the personal stuff etc, but the goods are in! Good-news- I got all 3 pair to fit in the back (yes- only 3! (plus the Dragon Foals to maybe find a new home!?))

I'll fill up tomorrow night after work, gas was $2.76/gal here earlier, so I'm hoping it'll go down some more before then.

I have some *preliminary* opinions formed about the "Canvas" design that will be unveiled in a couple days. I have listened to them for approx 2 wks now. I was listening to the "Mn-14" earlier, just to AWG (:D) my thoughts. I feel the Canvas has better, tighter, deeper bass, is a little more laid back in the mids and treble, but has a decent balance and integration. I do not think Canvas integrates like the Mn-14 does, but that is because it is *quite good* in that regard. Kind of hard to compare fantastic integration to something not as good, but you either lock-in, or you don't. I think the main reason for the laid-back sound is driver materials this time, and lack of breakup. Levels of drivers do not seem to be misbalanced.

With that all in mind, I do believe the difference in the 2 pairs is mainly bass-extension, and driver material. Both pairs sound very nice, so I am not dogging either of them. Since both come in at the same price-point :eek: "as-built":eek:, I find I wouldn't be upset with either of them. AND- I think if the Mn-14 were in a larger box, it would probably be just as good in the bass range.

So- I guess I've revealed the cab-size, the woofer, that the sim had great phase-alignment, and that the tweeter is not metal. If you don't recall or couldn't discern that info, just wait a couple days! :p:p:D:D

Just for Shawn-
    "Canvas" passes the "Misguided Angel" test. Mn-14 can hit it, but the fundamental is muted a tad, and lacks definition.

See you all in a couple days!!!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: Pretty much Iowa-bound! "Canvas" prelim opinions....

I'm on the way too. The Tzu-jan speakers arrived in Iowa unscathed - the benevolent spirits were watching over FedEx.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and enjoying a couple of dozen fine speakers.

I reflect on the first DIY Iowa in a small classroom at Kirkwood. It has grown in size, and the bar goes up every year.

Maynard

Comment

I'm just about ready too. I buttoned up the Voxxer-M's last night for hopefully the last time. I'm not sure about some of the stuff I heard last night, I hope it was just recording issues. I did play a couple of recordings that were well done which I know and they sounded great but there were a couple of little things that bugged on lesser quality recordings. Good to hear the Canvas passed through one of my little favorites, Wolf. I need to do some more listening tonight before I get things ready for travel. That disc will be one of them for tonight for sure.

Hopefully I'm going to hit the trail at around 10 am local time so that will put me in Iowa around 5 pm. Gaining that hour heading west is nice but it's gonna suck coming back home. I can't wait to get there and hear some more greatness from everyone. Everyone but that Neubecker cat, that is ;). See y'all in a day or so.

shawn
      My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I have some *preliminary* opinions formed about the "Canvas" design that will be unveiled in a couple days. I have listened to them for approx 2 wks now. I was listening to the "Mn-14" earlier, just to AWG (:D) my thoughts. I feel the Canvas has better, tighter, deeper bass, is a little more laid back in the mids and treble, but has a decent balance and integration. I do not think Canvas integrates like the Mn-14 does, but that is because it is *quite good* in that regard. Kind of hard to compare fantastic integration to something not as good, but you either lock-in, or you don't. I think the main reason for the laid-back sound is driver materials this time, and lack of breakup. Levels of drivers do not seem to be misbalanced.
        I've seen pictures, folks, and these things look SO COOL! Wolf, I can't wait to hear them (hopefully Lexington, if I can go).

BTW: all you people going to Iowa, I'm green with jealousy.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
          I'm just about ready too. I buttoned up the Voxxer-M's last night for hopefully the last time. I'm not sure about some of the stuff I heard last night, I hope it was just recording issues. I did play a couple of recordings that were well done which I know and they sounded great but there were a couple of little things that bugged on lesser quality recordings. Good to hear the Canvas passed through one of my little favorites, Wolf. I need to do some more listening tonight before I get things ready for travel. That disc will be one of them for tonight for sure.

Hopefully I'm going to hit the trail at around 10 am local time so that will put me in Iowa around 5 pm. Gaining that hour heading west is nice but it's gonna suck coming back home. I can't wait to get there and hear some more greatness from everyone. Everyone but that Neubecker cat, that is ;). See y'all in a day or so.

shawn
          Yeah- I bet he'll need some EnABl peeled off at some point! Not that it makes any real difference anyway! :p

Besides- I think I have him *licked* in the Super-Budget class! NEENER!!!:p:p:p:D

It's the Budget class I'm uncertain about. I know the Canvas is actually better than the 2i, but I don't know how the Icthus will fair along with the other designs. I guess I should quit rambling and just wait and see.......
          See you then!
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
            I've seen pictures, folks, and these things look SO COOL! Wolf, I can't wait to hear them (hopefully Lexington, if I can go).

Thanks, buddy! BTW-YGM!
            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Believe it or not, the Voxxers fell well within the Budget class. Kinda surprising to me for some reason. They sure don't sound like budget speakers to me but others may disagree. I guess that's why we go to these shows, isn't it? Talk with ya tomorrow night.

shawn

Comment

The one thing I truely love about being the organizer of the event is the fact that I get to choose the location. That's why it's six blocks from my house:D

See everyone this weekend.
                http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

I'm all ready, too, except last minute stuff. I'm leaving by 7 AM, stopping on the south side of Indianapolis to pick up Dan Neubecker (sorry, Shawn!). I'm bringing only the cenTiLanas (I've tweaked the crossover a bit since PE's event), and Dan his bringing his SoundRounds and DuoT/S. Hope to arrive by around 5 PM or so local time. Looking forward to and expecting a fun time.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                    I'm all ready, too, except last minute stuff. I'm leaving by 7 AM, stopping on the south side of Indianapolis to pick up Dan Neubecker (sorry, Shawn!). I'm bringing only the cenTiLanas (I've tweaked the crossover a bit since PE's event), and Dan his bringing his SoundRounds and DuoT/S. Hope to arrive by around 5 PM or so local time. Looking forward to and expecting a fun time.
                    Paul
                    Just out of curiosity, which route are you taking? It sounds like we might be able to caravan a bit. I could have ridden with Wolf and Trevor but I didn't know my plans were firm or not. It's gonna be fun.

shawn

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
                      You would be green for other reasons if you seen how I've packed your Sunflowers in the back of my truck. :P

(joking)
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                      CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, which route are you taking? It sounds like we might be able to caravan a bit. I could have ridden with Wolf and Trevor but I didn't know my plans were firm or not. It's gonna be fun.

shawn
                        As far as that goes- you still could! *IF* you get here before 10am tomorrow. I still have enough room for a 3rd passenger.

I'm hoping to be there by 5pm as well. Sounds like we are all getting there about the same time. (Final post before leaving.)
                        Later, see you all there!
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Thanks but I'm not going to be able to leave home until 10 anyway. Gotta take care of a few loose ends first and then it's on with the road show. See ya in the evening.

shawn

Comment

Working...
                          X