2008 Iowa DIY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Iowa DIY

I wanted to throw in my $.02 worth to and thank Doug, his family and all of the wonderful sponsors that help support the Iowa DIY event. I was a lucky recipient of a Woofer tester. Thank you very, very much PE. I really appreciate it!

A couple thoughts about the event. The sound simply gets better every year. It's progressed so far the last 5 years. The speakers and the designs just keep getting better. There wasn't a class I didn't enjoy listening to.

I also really enjoyed meeting 1st timers to the event and putting faces and names together. It was a great time and due to Doug's hard work, the event went off like clockwork. Smooooth as can be!

See you next year!

Jim

Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

I totally agree with Jim.

Doug and his family did a superb job of hosting and I did not hear I speaker I did not enjoy. I, like Jim, also like the event so I can put a face to all of the names that are on this and other message boards.

The sponsors and door prizes were great as usual.

Comment

I have to say that their wasn't a single pair of speakers that offended the ears.

Marty and Andy G. were both worried about how their projects would sound. To my untrained ears they sounded good. Andy had a driver polarity issue but after he fixed that the sound was much improved.

I'm glad everyone had a good time and I look forward to doing it again next year.

I have started work on the website and will be working on it as the week goes on. I hope to have it completed my next weekend. I do have all the scores figured and I will post those results in the next day or two.

Doug
      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Let me add my thanks to Doug and Steph for their work in putting together this event. Someone said last year that the Iowa DIY had reached a critical mass and become one of the major venues for DIY in America and it is so true. I told Doug that going there and seeing and listening to the designs was the most fun you could have with your clothes on under the age of 45, and after 45, it was the most fun you could have with your clothes on or off.

As for the speaker and the designers, the bar really has been raised. I know everyone says that, but it really is true. My suspicion is that the designers are about the hit a wall when they find that their designs are limited more by the quality of the recordings and the electroincs used to play them than by the speakers they build. I think the point spread on the voting is going to show more about the preferences of the audience than any limitation in the designs.

So thanks again to Doug and family for all their work in putting this together, congradulations to all the designer on their outstanding designs and thanks to all the great people who attended for, well, being a great group of people.

Comment

The only thing that I was a little disapointed about was the crowd size. I was really hoping for a bigger group of people. I would like to draw in more people in general. I would like to look up from the front of the stage as see 100 people looking back at me.

To my taste the 22 pairs of sppeakers we ran this year was just the right number. The format works well and we have a well structured and timely progress for the day of the event. The only thing left is to grow the attendance.

Doug
          http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

I ditto the sentiments of Jim and others regarding the execution of the event. Great work Doug. This was the best DIY Iowa yet, both in quality of speakers and general fun factor.

I must strongly disagree with olddude50 regarding the over 45 thing. I'm 55, and well, gee, sorry guys.

Comment

Oh yeah, as to olddude50's comments about point spreads in the ratings. He is right. Well over 50% and up to 77% of the ratings is noise unrelated to the speakers - based on the DIY Dayton, where there was a consistent set of "expert" judges. The top several in each class are statistically undifferentiable.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=206348

Comment

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with Jim, Maynard, etc. A big thank you to Doug, Steph, and Sean. I will do all I can to be back next year and maybe with a pair of speakers to be judged!

Thanks to PE for the donation of the copy of Soundeasy I won this year. I had a great time with great people and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

As far as how to get more people to come to the middle of Iowa in the fall, that is a tough question. But don't change the location. The middle of Iowa is an excellent area to go visit and moving it would take away from the charm I think. And I don't think very often.

One of the best parts was meeting the people face to face with whom I have interacted anonymously online for several years now. That was just great. And I met new people to look for!

Chuck

Comment

I can't add much to what has been said. But ditto the thanks to Doug and his family for their hospitality and all the work they did.

The venue was great, the overall location is great, and it was a well organized event. It was my first time there and I'm impressed.

And thanks to everyone that packed up and brought their speakers.

Comment

I enjoyed the event immensely; with 30% fewer speakers to listen to and well-timed breaks, my ears became much less weary. Doug and his wife did an super job organizing and hosting this event. Along with others' statements, it's very, very difficult to fairly rate most of these speakers because so many are just plain darned good, price class notwithstanding. I'm almost convinced I will refrain from scoring next year. Thanks, too, to the sponsors for the nice door prizes and to Dennis for his measuring setup. Lastly, congratulations to the winner in each class, whomever they are.
                    Paul

Comment

Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                      - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                        I enjoyed the event immensely; with 30% fewer speakers to listen to and well-timed breaks, my ears became much less weary. Doug and his wife did an super job organizing and hosting this event. Along with others' statements, it's very, very difficult to fairly rate most of these speakers because so many are just plain darned good, price class notwithstanding. I'm almost convinced I will refrain from scoring next year. Thanks, too, to the sponsors for the nice door prizes and to Dennis for his measuring setup. Lastly, congratulations to the winner in each class, whomever they are.
                        Paul
                        I agree about the breaks, and less listener fatigue. What I had happen to me post-event was different than normal as well. It's like I was in "hyper-sensitive-hearing" mode, as everything around me was seriously louder in level, and details were sharp. I must have really been listening intently, and the process of the previous hours kept on going. This was a first for me in this regard, as normally I want to relax my ears a while.
                        Breaks have my vote too!
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I agree Doug did a great job once again hosting this event. Not to mention his wife putting up with a house full of speaker nuts Friday night. Having more frequent breaks gave people the opportunity to talk and learn from each other. I did a lot more measurements for people this year and I am sure that that is a direct result of the more relaxed schedule.

I always have a great time at these events and this year was no exception. Thanks to Doug and Steph as well as all the participants.

Dennis

Comment

Here's another thanks to the host, his wife and son for all their hours in setting up and hosting such a great event.

Taken as a whole, these had to be the most ear appealing set of entries in any DIY event I've been to so far. That surely contributed to the reduced listening fatigue and general enjoyment, no to menion a great group of attendees. The breaks were a big plus and offered some needed time for getting to know one another. Also, for the most part, Doug's new spl level setting method worked very well and was easier on the ears to boot.

To all of you who read this forum and did not or have not attended, mark you calendar now for about this time next year and plan on attending. As Doug said, about the only think that could make it better would be more butts in the seats! You can bet that the level of quality will be yet another notch higher next year.
                            Dan N.

Comment

I would like to extend a thank you to Doug and family as well. I can't imagine the event being executed any better. This was my first DIY and I am SOOO glad I attended. It was a great learning experience and nice to see how my own work measures up to folks who actually know what they are doing. Best of all it was just plain fun. Now I'm really looking forward to a winter back in the basement shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X