Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Iowa DIY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

    Thank you all for the kind words. As I said at the event, I have a lot of fun putting it on so it only seems like work evey now and again.

    I will pass along all the thanks to my wife. Let me tell you she likes speakers as much as we all like washing dishes and cleaning bathrooms.

    My son on the other hand loves messing around with this stuff and he has as much fun as the rest of us.

    I will be posting the dates for 2009 in the next couple of weeks and I have already have had two people asking to put them on the list because they have speakers they want to show off.

    Doug
    http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

    I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

      Lets see here... My first Iowa DIY... It was a great experience and tons of fun. I gained so much in just how to listen to a speaker. I too after I left had overly sensitive hearing.

      The speakers, some pretty some raw. This was the first event to where I found all speakers presented to be listen-able. I wont go into about the details of the speakers and my thoughts. But I do at some point want to mess around with TL's because they sound good and play much deeper.

      I enjoyed the event, met great people, eat at my first Hearty's? I think and seen more cornfield than I cared to. But it was fun and would do it again.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

        Originally posted by trevorg View Post
        Lets see here... My first Iowa DIY... It was a great experience and tons of fun. I gained so much in just how to listen to a speaker. I too after I left had overly sensitive hearing.

        The speakers, some pretty some raw. This was the first event to where I found all speakers presented to be listen-able. I wont go into about the details of the speakers and my thoughts. But I do at some point want to mess around with TL's because they sound good and play much deeper.

        I enjoyed the event, met great people, eat at my first Hearty's? I think and seen more cornfield than I cared to. But it was fun and would do it again.
        Just in case you see one again, it's *Hardee's*. Glad you had fun, and made it home okay. You must not have needed my insight on the trip home. Talk with you later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

        *InDIYana event website*

        Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

        My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

          Kudos to Doug an his wife. This was my first speaker build and first DIY. I must say, this was one well ran event. Nice job, and thanks for being cool and helpful to a newbie (havent been called that for a long time!)

          It was a pleasure to meet all of you and listen to some outstanding designs. I learned tons and I now know where I can learn tons more! As I said to everyone right before my speaker audition, "IM diggin' it!".

          I plan on finishing up a new sub and surround projects, after that, its wide open.

          Id also like to Thank Jim Holtz for allowing myself and Stangbat into his home to audition the maaavoulous Statements on the way home Sunday. They truly hold up to their reputation. Thanks again Jim!

          Cheers,
          Andy B.
          ZDT3.5

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

            Doug, Steph, Shawn;

            A hearty congratulations to the entire family for the warmth, hospitality, and relaxed professionalism you shared with us all! And Doug, thank you for the kind words regarding my submission - especially when I was about to 'throw in the towel'!

            Please add me to the list of presenters next year. I plan on bringing those beautiful Parts Express .25 cf Maple cabinets filled with tasty ear candy, (thanks soooo much PE!) plus Wayne J's Eros MK2's (if and only if space allows).

            Barbara and I couldn't have had a better time, it was a terrific weekend. Oh, and kudo's to that Casa Margarita place - wow, what great food!

            Marty

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

              Thanks again to Doug & family. Excellent event!

              Thoughts to fill seats:

              Offer more options
              • show & listen (main event as is done in the past)
              • continue to have testing available (courtesy of Dennis J or others)
              • short (1 hour?) breakout seminar on crossover design for newbies or other topics


              Publicize all features of the event to help generate interest and increase attendance.

              If we want the DIY industry to thrive, it needs to expand.

              Marv Schaap

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                i wish i could have attended. mybe next year seeing that i live only two hours away. hope to have and entry by then. would hope doug will post lots of pics to see.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

                Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

                http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                  I too would like to thank Doug and his family for hosting this great event. I can't think of too much to say that hasn't already been said. It was great fun and maybe next year I'll bring some speakers. My only problem with bringing speakers is that I would like to try my hand at crossover design and with the bar set so high, I might need to furnish ear plugs.

                  Brian Walter

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                    Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
                    i wish i could have attended. mybe next year seeing that i live only two hours away. hope to have and entry by then. would hope doug will post lots of pics to see.
                    I am working on it. My main goal has been organizing all the scoring info for the people who brought speakers. I shouold have it all done and posted by the weekend.

                    Originally posted by brianwalter View Post
                    I too would like to thank Doug and his family for hosting this great event. I can't think of too much to say that hasn't already been said. It was great fun and maybe next year I'll bring some speakers. My only problem with bringing speakers is that I would like to try my hand at crossover design and with the bar set so high, I might need to furnish ear plugs.

                    Brian Walter
                    Do your best and bring it to the show. That's what I am doing. Dennis took in box measurements for me on some three ways I have been working on so now I can start the crossover design (my first). Remember not everyone hits a home run their first at bat.

                    Doug
                    http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

                    I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                      Originally posted by DougP View Post
                      Remember not everyone hits a home run their first at bat.

                      Doug
                      Except for maybe JonW, if that was really his first effort.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                        Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                        Except for maybe JonW, if that was really his first effort.
                        He had built a pair of Modula MT's before but that was like a kit compared to starting out raw with the Spassvogels. He went out and bought LspCAD and a mic and had it calibrated and suffered through the 'How and what do I measure?' process. But he had a lot of help along the way and that is what makes this a lot of fun. If you are willing to learn and (no pun intended) listen, you can build a great loudspeaker!

                        Chuck

                        Looking to forward to next year....

                        PS - Doug, can I ship some large heavy crates to your house for the event?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                          Originally posted by chasw98 View Post
                          He had built a pair of Modula MT's before but that was like a kit compared to starting out raw with the Spassvogels. He went out and bought LspCAD and a mic and had it calibrated and suffered through the 'How and what do I measure?' process. But he had a lot of help along the way and that is what makes this a lot of fun. If you are willing to learn and (no pun intended) listen, you can build a great loudspeaker!

                          Chuck

                          Looking to forward to next year....

                          PS - Doug, can I ship some large heavy crates to your house for the event?

                          Normally I would say yes but for now I have to say maybe. My wife and I are in the process of selling our house so we can start building a new home. The answer to your question will depend on our living situation in the coming summer.

                          Doug
                          http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

                          I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                            Originally posted by DougP View Post
                            Normally I would say yes but for now I have to say maybe. My wife and I are in the process of selling our house so we can start building a new home. The answer to your question will depend on our living situation in the coming summer.

                            Doug

                            Doug:
                            I am just kidding. It would probably cost me too much to crate and fly them out to you. But if you are building a new house, maybe you should plan a fully designed audio room.........

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

                              Originally posted by chasw98 View Post
                              Doug:
                              I am just kidding. It would probably cost me too much to crate and fly them out to you. But if you are building a new house, maybe you should plan a fully designed audio room.........
                              That thought might have crossed my mind once or twice;)
                              http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

                              I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

                              Comment


                              • #30

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X