• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Re: 2008 Iowa DIY

Originally posted by jonw View Post
    In terms of getting more people to attend, buzz like in these threads might help. The biggest bump in attendance would probably come from being closer to a city. If the event was, say, within 2 hours of Chicago, there might be a lot of people who could drive there and back in the same day. That would probably get a lot more people to go.
    Yeah, it's in the works. The plan is probably next June.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

I'd be happy to share the design and I essentially promised to do so after the event to honor Bob Bickle's same request before the event. I have pencil-on-paper drawings I made for the build, crossover schematic and layout, crossover parts list, TL modeling results from Martin's worksheets, lots of construction photos, etc. BUT, other than being able to use Martin's worksheets fairly well and do some rudimentary things, I'm pretty lame when it comes to computers and I just don't know how to get something together for easy posting. And, after PE changed the format of this forum, I no longer know how to post anything here (I know, I know, it's easy and ANYONE can do it! :().

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
    Hi Paul,

Would you be willing to share the TL design for the entry you had at Iowa this year?

Thanks,

Maynard

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

Hi Paul,

Would you be willing to share the TL design for the entry you had at Iowa this year?

Thanks,

Maynard

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    Re: Winners not yet announced...

Doug is tabulating the scores and hope to post the winners by this coming weekend.
    Paul

Originally posted by Jed K. View Post
    So who won the different classes? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• DougP
    replied

Originally posted by Jed K. View Post
    Soon that will be up soon with any luck. Thank you all for being patient.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Jed K.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

you may be sick of the test tracks
    I was not sick of the test tracks this year - and not all that tired at the end. The choices were very good, adequately diverse, with decent dynamics and no real passages with distortion to fatigue.

Oh yes, I was sweating out the deep bass notes on one track, but the Tsu-jan speak's AC130's handled it. I've heard them bottom, and it ain't pretty.

Great event - do you hear an echo?????

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

attendance would probably come from being closer to a city
    Maybe, but in my experience (two metro located events) larger events tend to get a bit chaotic. Self-appointed (and non-participating) critics drop in for a couple of hours off and on all day to complain about process ("wrong pink noise", "why isn't this blind", "what a sh_tty amp", "if my speakers were here....", ), delighting in drawing attention to thier "expertise", then chatting loudly in the corners all day. Good facilities and lodging are harder to source and much more costly; someone wants to set up and do something commercial, etc. etc.

A measurement/XO modeling session or something of that nature would be my next step. to interest people.

True, it is a long way to our paradise on the prairie, but it is awfully nice when you get there.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

I've been down with a nasty cold since the DIY event. I hope I didn't share it with anyone. :-)

Anyway, I agree with everyone, it was a great time.

Just so everyone knows, Doug is waiting on me to send him the pictures I took. My external flash went on the blink and I was forced to use the internal flash which is not very strong in any DSLR, so I'm doing a lot of post processing on the images, but they're coming out OK. However, they are a long way from professional looking. A lot of memories for us that attended though.

Another side note. Wolf mentioned that he heard something in one of the Statements Monitors during the event and I suspected a driver might have an issue. I checked them out last night and the drivers are fine. The Monitors were simply running out of excursion on the demanding portions of the music and nearing their limits on deep bass. The theater is big enough that it required cranking the volume enough to really give all the speakers a good test.

My point is, you may be sick of the test tracks but they did their job and stressed the speakers so we could hear what they were and weren't capable of.

Good stuff folks!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jonw
    replied

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
    Except for maybe JonW, if that was really his first effort.
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=25031

Leave a comment:

• jonw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DougP
    replied

Originally posted by chasw98 View Post
    Doug:
    I am just kidding. It would probably cost me too much to crate and fly them out to you. But if you are building a new house, maybe you should plan a fully designed audio room.........
    That thought might have crossed my mind once or twice;)

Leave a comment:

• chasw98
    replied

Originally posted by DougP View Post
    Normally I would say yes but for now I have to say maybe. My wife and I are in the process of selling our house so we can start building a new home. The answer to your question will depend on our living situation in the coming summer.

Doug

Doug:
    I am just kidding. It would probably cost me too much to crate and fly them out to you. But if you are building a new house, maybe you should plan a fully designed audio room.........

Leave a comment:

• DougP
    replied

Originally posted by chasw98 View Post
    He had built a pair of Modula MT's before but that was like a kit compared to starting out raw with the Spassvogels. He went out and bought LspCAD and a mic and had it calibrated and suffered through the 'How and what do I measure?' process. But he had a lot of help along the way and that is what makes this a lot of fun. If you are willing to learn and (no pun intended) listen, you can build a great loudspeaker!

Chuck

Looking to forward to next year....

PS - Doug, can I ship some large heavy crates to your house for the event?

Normally I would say yes but for now I have to say maybe. My wife and I are in the process of selling our house so we can start building a new home. The answer to your question will depend on our living situation in the coming summer.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• chasw98
    replied

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
    Except for maybe JonW, if that was really his first effort.
    He had built a pair of Modula MT's before but that was like a kit compared to starting out raw with the Spassvogels. He went out and bought LspCAD and a mic and had it calibrated and suffered through the 'How and what do I measure?' process. But he had a lot of help along the way and that is what makes this a lot of fun. If you are willing to learn and (no pun intended) listen, you can build a great loudspeaker!

Chuck

Looking to forward to next year....

PS - Doug, can I ship some large heavy crates to your house for the event?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X