RS 52 designs please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS 52 designs please

Nathan, my guest at Iowa 2008, selected the RS52 mids as his door prize. :D Now he needs help selecting a design. We are looking for a good list of options and or recommendations. Hopefully not too expensive but good performance, of course:rolleyes: (First time builder)

Thanks,
    Marv

Re: RS 52 designs please

Marvin,
    I am only aware of about 4 projects that use the RS52 dome mid. Two of the projects were at DIY Iowa this year, Paul's CanTelina's and the ZDT3.5's. The only others I know of are Pete Schumakers design he brought to Iowa in 2007 and Jon Marshes Modula NeoD CC.

I might be interested in other available designs as well since I too have a pair of them I need to incorporate into something.

Brian Walter

Comment

I built some inexpensive RS52 3-ways last year with some wonderful help from this board. While I'm thrilled with my results the design does have a couple flaws; I could have used a more robust woofer and the tweeter immediately went unobtainium.

The existing RS52 designs are all great, but they sure aren't what you would label as beginner designs. Maybe what the DIY world needs is a good ol' fashioned 3-way that would be like an updated Lyra. Say an 8-10" workhorse woofer, the RS52 and maybe the ND28F tweeter in a simple cabinet. I'd bet if a challenge was issued here you'd get some great help.

Whataya think Marvin and Nathan, would that fit your bill? I know it would have interested me (and still would).

Comment

Cyclops

This 3 way has been around awhile. You could eliminate the rear firing tweeter, and substitute the RT1C-A or RT1CII tweeter if you wish. Solid speaker. CYCLOPS

Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Re: cenTiLana, not canTeLina

I know, Brian, the names are very similar and, therefore easy to mix up. Actually the previous speaker was the canTiLena, the bigger, much more expensive ones I brought last year to Iowa. What I brought this year was the cenTiLana, and that name is just an anagram of canTiLena.
          Paul

Originally posted by brianwalter View Post
          Marvin,
          I am only aware of about 4 projects that use the RS52 dome mid. Two of the projects were at DIY Iowa this year, Paul's CanTelina's and the ZDT3.5's. The only others I know of are Pete Schumakers design he brought to Iowa in 2007 and Jon Marshes Modula NeoD CC.

I might be interested in other available designs as well since I too have a pair of them I need to incorporate into something.

Brian Walter

Comment

Thanks, everyone

I'll forward the info to Nathan.

Marvin

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!
              Doing my own internet searching the only current designs i could come up with were Paul K's last two CanTeLinaCenTiLanas. Ive studied Paul's handout from the IA 2008 DIY and believe with his great instructions I could give the CenTiLanas a honest effort, but its just out of my realm for a first try. Maybe in the future.
              I like the (relative) simplicity of the Cyclops by Lou. I would like to give those my effort this winter, and Im sure I will learn plenty along the way.
              In response to turn2, Id also be interested in a new-old fashioned 3-way design with the RS52's. However, for this set I think its in my best interest to build a current design, learn first, then blaze a new trail later on.
              If there are any more designs, ideas, or thoughts out there, please share!
              Thanks again for the help.
              Nathan (natedoc)

Comment

I thought the centTiLana's sounded pretty good.

Comment

RS52 speaker update - Cyclops II

To beat those recession blues I decided to spend some money and keep going with this speaker build. First a big thank you to Marv S, my father-in-law, for starting this interest and the thread. Ive thoroughly enjoyed the build so far. This is my first speaker build (beyond subs as a teenager - who didnt??), so if you see me heading down the wrong path, please wave your hands and shout! If you have any comments at all or answers to my questions, please share! So for anyone interested......
                  Marv and I got the rough enclosures completed about 2 weeks ago. We decided to go with plenty of biscuits, as it was nearing lunchtime.

one cabinet.....

I have the drivers, which makes waiting to hear them quite difficult.

We can all have high hopes, right? If everything goes well, the final design is below. Ive kept the functional design of the Cyclops II speaker by Lou C, and will use the Hivi RT1C-A, my free RS52's, and the good lookin' Hivi M8N's. The false bottom will house each crossover.

back side with rear board made transparent.

front baffle, by far the most complicated part. Notice square hole for tweeter.

Ive just started the xover layout, and will refine again. I plan to cut a large enough .75" MDF rectangle, drill the holes needed down .50", and solder components together in the holes. That just sounds functional and easy. I will then screw the xover board inside the false bottom, for easy tinkering later, if needed.

Q1) how close can the inductors be to each other? I tried to keep them relatively far apart.
                  Q2) Obviously i didnt get 'audio grade' caps for each cap component. This was just being cheap on my end. Will my untrained ear notice any difference?
                  Q3) is there a recommended adhesive (beyond nylon ties) to attach the components to the board?
                  Q4) is it ok to clip the ends of the xover components to help the long leads fit on the crossover board?
                  I know I will have more questions along the way.
                  I plan to try a little veneering on the front and top, as seen in the above image. Ill need some more advice once I get to that point.
                  Thanks for all the help! natedoc
                  Last edited by natedoc; 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                    I built some inexpensive RS52 3-ways last year with some wonderful help from this board. While I'm thrilled with my results the design does have a couple flaws; I could have used a more robust woofer and the tweeter immediately went unobtainium.

The existing RS52 designs are all great, but they sure aren't what you would label as beginner designs. Maybe what the DIY world needs is a good ol' fashioned 3-way that would be like an updated Lyra. Say an 8-10" workhorse woofer, the RS52 and maybe the ND28F tweeter in a simple cabinet. I'd bet if a challenge was issued here you'd get some great help.

Whataya think Marvin and Nathan, would that fit your bill? I know it would have interested me (and still would).
                    Did anyone ever pursue this updated Lyra design? I have a couple 10" Classics that I have been thinking of using in a Lyra project. I'd like to see that design with the RS52 and the ND28F.

Mike

Comment

Re: RS52 speaker update - Cyclops II

Q1) how close can the inductors be to each other? I tried to keep them relatively far apart.

This link give a good tutorial about inductor spacing: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Marv

Comment

Originally posted by michaelp View Post
                        Did anyone ever pursue this updated Lyra design? I have a couple 10" Classics that I have been thinking of using in a Lyra project. I'd like to see that design with the RS52 and the ND28F.

Mike
                        I haven't seen any work along those lines. There are some other good options for the Classic 8's such as the Aethers and Cinderellas. I'm drawing a blank on Classic 10 designs.

Nate, you've got a good thing going there. For a first build it appears you're going to have a really nice outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by natedoc View Post
                          Q2) Obviously i didnt get 'audio grade' caps for each cap component. This was just being cheap on my end. Will my untrained ear notice any difference?
                          Q3) is there a recommended adhesive (beyond nylon ties) to attach the components to the board?
                          Q4) is it ok to clip the ends of the xover components to help the long leads fit on the crossover board?
                          I know I will have more questions along the way.
                          I plan to try a little veneering on the front and top, as seen in the above image. Ill need some more advice once I get to that point.
                          Thanks for all the help! natedoc

The inductors look ok.
                          You don't really need expensive caps...the Dayton or Jantzen poly will work fine, as will the NPE's. I use the NP's in woofer circuits when I need a larger value and want to save a little money.
                          You can trim the component leads...on the inductors, make sure that you scrape or sand off that coating on the wire if you trim those leads. Only the first couple inches on those leads are bare. Solder won't stick to the coating.

Looking good, keep us posted with pics!

John A.
                          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                          Pioneer TX-9500 II
                          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                          Statement Monitors
                          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by natedoc View Post
                            Amazing Goop or Shoe Goo works like a charm. You won't even need nylon ties except for large components.

Comment

Have not heard it, but...

...I did this sim for Gowa with a pair of series'd AR 6.5", and an ND20FA-6.
                              http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...aker/Serenade/

I'm betting the M8N/A will have more punch and clarity, and I would probably prefer the planar as well.
                              Have fun!
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X