Morel MDM-55 vs Dayton RS52AN-8 vs Dayton DC50F-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morel MDM-55 vs Dayton RS52AN-8 vs Dayton DC50F-8

I am considering the use of the following three drivers as a midrange in a 3 way center channel with dual midwoofers. I have found information on the rs52an on Zaph's site. Does anyone have experience with these drivers?

--Dayton DC50F-8
    --Dayton RS52AN-8
    --Morel MDM-55

I plan to use the Aura_NT1-204-8D tweeter and the polk 5.25 midrange. (http://www.mavin.com/index.php/produ...lk-5-14-woofer) I am also thinking that I will use a ported configuration with approximately .66 ft2. I am considering a front baffle size (30" x 8" (3/4" roundovers) using 3/4 MDF)

Re: Morel MDM-55 vs Dayton RS52AN-8 vs Dayton DC50F-8

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    I am considering the use of the following three drivers as a midrange in a 3 way center channel with dual midwoofers. I have found information on the rs52an on Zaph's site. Does anyone have experience with these drivers?

--Dayton DC50F-8
    --Dayton RS52AN-8
    --Morel MDM-55

I plan to use the Aura_NT1-204-8D tweeter and the polk 5.25 midrange. (http://www.mavin.com/index.php/produ...lk-5-14-woofer) I am also thinking that I will use a ported configuration with approximately .66 ft2. I am considering a front baffle size (30" x 8" (3/4" roundovers) using 3/4 MDF)
    The MDM55 is the BEST midrange I have ever had the experience of. Don't miss out before they are gone. I have heard the RS52 as well, and it doesn't compare to the MDM55.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've built 2 systems using the MDM55 and 2 systems using the RS52. While the RS52 is good, I prefer the MDM55, and this preference may be simply due to the differences in their dome materials, textile for the Morel and metal for the Dayton. Also, the small flange size of the Morel really helps out on the CTC spacing. As Wolf suggests, and especially with the current $50 clearance price at PE on the MDM55, you better grab some quickly.
      Paul

Comment

Well . . the site shows they're out of stock presently, with no due date . . .
        Dave H

Comment

If they show that they are out of stock can you order it at the sale price and await the shipment?

This mid looks promising too.

Tang Band 50-1426SA 2" Textile Dome Midrange

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post

--Dayton DC50F-8
            --Dayton RS52AN-8
            --Morel MDM-55

Spend the money, and consider either the MDM55 or the RS52. Both are exceptional drivers, with crystal clear mids when used between 800 and 3000Hz. XO topology for the MDM55 is usually a bit simpler since there's not a resonance mode to consider like the RS52 has. And it's tiny faceplate allows for much closer mounting to a small tweeter, and therefore better integration at higher XO frequencies vs. the RS52. The MDM55 also has a slightly higher Xmax, which means it can play a bit higher SPL before distortion sets in. If you're crossing above 600Hz, 2nd order electrical, the extra Xmax won't make that big a difference.

Another you might consider would be the Usher Dome, but you're pushing the limits of performance already with the RS52 and MDM55 for a 2" dome mid, without spending the extra dough.

One nice feature of the RS52 is the built in protection for the driver dome. The mesh grid ain't bad looking, and it keeps curious fingers from leaving fingerprints on the black anodized dome.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I asked PE if there was any chance more MDM55s would be available. ):

How does this driver stack up?
              Tang Band 50-1426SA 2" Textile Dome Midrange

Comment

I have heard many designs with the Morel MDM55 and RS52 and personally don't think it is even close. I have never heard a RS52 design that I really liked. As someone else mentioned, I believe this is a product of the difference in dome materials. The RS52 just sounds metallic and fatiguing after awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeparsons View Post
                  I have heard many designs with the Morel MDM55 and RS52 and personally don't think it is even close. I have never heard a RS52 design that I really liked. As someone else mentioned, I believe this is a product of the difference in dome materials. The RS52 just sounds metallic and fatiguing after awhile.
                  I'm of the same opinion! "Dinkle-Dinkle"! :D
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Well Peerless India does make a textile dome version of the RS52...what say you PE?
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

between morel, dayton and scan-speak dome midranges i only like the scan-speak ( i actually have all three, and have used morel and scan-speak )

unfortunately the scan is not really a midrange. more like a sub-tweeter. i also broke the rear chambers on them when taking them out of the chrysler because they sort of got glued to the metal of the car with the HILTI polyurethane foam that i used to stabilize them in place

that is to say that of the three i would only buy the scan-speak again, but the only application for this driver that i can think of is mated to a fostex supertweeter. although it would probably sound beautiful. it sounds beautiful by itself and only misses the top octave. i have used it with a beyma bullet but beyma is not refined enough to go with the scan-speak, beyma is an SPL unit.

morel is "usable" that is, i can envision building a system with it ( i have the 56 ) i have used it with hiquphon tweeter ... seems to work for that application.

the aluminum dayton i don't intend to ever use and don't intend to sell it either because i don't think its worth the effort required to mail it.

i would rather avoid using any of them. i think they're too small to be midranges. now the ATC 3" ... MAYBE

Comment

What about the Vifa D75MX? Has anyone used / heard it?

I was tempted to pick up a pair of the MDM-55s. He who hesitates is lost, I guess. Has anyone heard if PE will honor the sale price on an order placed now and when they might come in?

I wonder if the problems with the RS52 have to do with the breakup. Perhaps it would sound better crossed below 3k with the breakup hit hard. Regardless, I plan to find out as the speakers I am building use it.

I have enough young kids around that it's a problem using exposed domes which puts the morel at a significant disadvantage IMO. But, if it really sounds so much better...

It seems to never fail that whenever a kid below the age of 5 enters my house, my tweeters end up pushed in. It's remarkable they still work.

Comment

I don't think the RS52 has a problem at all . . .

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
                          What about the Vifa D75MX? Has anyone used / heard it?

I was tempted to pick up a pair of the MDM-55s. He who hesitates is lost, I guess. Has anyone heard if PE will honor the sale price on an order placed now and when they might come in?

I wonder if the problems with the RS52 have to do with the breakup. Perhaps it would sound better crossed below 3k with the breakup hit hard. Regardless, I plan to find out as the speakers I am building use it.

I have enough young kids around that it's a problem using exposed domes which puts the morel at a significant disadvantage IMO. But, if it really sounds so much better...

It seems to never fail that whenever a kid below the age of 5 enters my house, my tweeters end up pushed in. It's remarkable they still work.

To some, they hear "dinkle-dinkle" whereas others hear just crystal clarity. There's no arguing that from a performance perspective, the RS52 is the most accurate among the one's listed. It has the smoothest passband response (linear distortion) and the lowest spectral distortion (non-linear) between the MDM55 and RS52.

Now, I've never heard a system that used identical drivers excepting the 2" dome mids. I've heard the MDM55 used with some very expensive woofers and tweeters, and after all, it's the system as a whole that counts. I'd wager that if you were to build Maynards three way using the RS52 instead of the MDM55 that you would arrive at an equally satisfying, and excellent performing system.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Re: I don't think the RS52 has a problem at all . . .

To some, they hear "dinkle-dinkle" whereas others hear just crystal clarity. There's no arguing that from a performance perspective, the RS52 is the most accurate among the one's listed. It has the smoothest passband response (linear distortion) and the lowest spectral distortion (non-linear) between the MDM55 and RS52.

Now, I've never heard a system that used identical drivers excepting the 2" dome mids. I've heard the MDM55 used with some very expensive woofers and tweeters, and after all, it's the system as a whole that counts. I'd wager that if you were to build Maynards three way using the RS52 instead of the MDM55 that you would arrive at an equally satisfying, and excellent performing system.
                            excellent link Pete.

my interpretation of his results is as follows:

dayton is the worst because it is in a class by itself when it comes to horrendous upper end response. at the same time it is only marginally better at distortion. the slight passband irregularities of other drivers i think will be swamped by other system effects like crossover and edge diffraction. upper end response imho is THE most important consideration for TWO INCH driver. why ? because there is NO OTHER REASON to use a two inch midrange other than great upper end response. if its not there the driver is USELESS !

morel is second worst because it has both high distortion and poor high frequency extension. its upper end rolloff is well behaved but comes too soon for such a small driver. again - FAIL !

accuton is the clear winner IMHO because it has the best upper end extension of all 4 drivers, its response is reasonably flat throughout the entire range and its distortion is reasonably low throughout the entire frequency range as well.

scan-speak ( 4" cone ) imho is even better, but it is not an upper midrange, just a regular midrange. it gives up some upper end performance to the accuton but not as much as it gains in the lower end.

Accuton belongs in a state-of-the-art 4-Way

Scan-Speak ( 4" cone ) belongs in a very good 3-Way

i am not sure if Morel and Dayton belong anywhere. The only application i can think of for Morel is a replacement driver for your blown Dynaudio speaker. And the only application for Dayton is in some cheap car audio system where you have a spot for an approximately this size driver.

I bought the dayton only because it was cheap. i never had a clear application in mind for it and still don't.

I bought the morel when i was 17 years old. In retrospect i probably should have gotten the Dynaudio but considering that it was my first time buying speaker components i could have done much, much worse.

Comment

I doubt that last statement highly!

I'd wager that if you were to build Maynards three way using the RS52 instead of the MDM55 that you would arrive at an equally satisfying, and excellent performing system.
                              The RS52 does not like 6dB filters. Not to mention the CTC will be much different.

On your/Paul's Centilana design, I think the mid was a little below the level it should be. I don't know how they can measure flat when it doesn't sound like it has the system balance it needs. In the ZDT, they were a lottle hot, so I suppose Flat is relative for the driver and it's implementations, since those were different arrangement/topologies. Personally, I think in the middle of these 2 designs is the best balance to be perceived. While the Centilana was smooth, the ZDT had the presence. (I actually do not think the Centilana comes close to the Cantilena in performance, or sound.)
                              Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X