Audio source switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio source switching

I want to use one set of speakers with two different audio sources (not simultaneously).

Is there any risk to a receiver or amp to see an "open" circuit when the speakers are switched to the other source? I'm assuming this is unlike too little impedance for an amp--there is an open circuit, hence no current flow, and no danger to the amp, correct?

Thanks,
    Marv

Re: Audio source switching

do you have two amps? or do you have a tv or a vcr and a cd player that are attached to 1 amp? or do you have two amps to 1 speaker?

Two amps to the same speaker is tricky to do. You must avoid running the two amps at the same time. You must also stop the current from the first amp from running into and past the speaker then up the speaker wires from the second amp. it involves relays and i do not recommend it.

two cd players or a tv or a vcr or a dvd to 1 amp is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
      do you have two amps? or do you have a tv or a vcr and a cd player that are attached to 1 amp? or do you have two amps to 1 speaker?

Two amps to the same speaker is tricky to do. You must avoid running the two amps at the same time. You must also stop the current from the first amp from running into and past the speaker then up the speaker wires from the second amp. it involves relays and i do not recommend it.

I think he is refering to sources, not amps. But, if you had the amp turned up a good bit and had been listening to a source from which the volume was turned down, having signals come from that source AND from another one could cause some unpleseantly loud, and nasty sounding) speaker output. Probably wouldnt damage anything, but I would simply invest in an audio input switch.

On the other hand, did you suggest staying away from the relay method with two amps simply because of the danger if not done properly, or is quality loss a factor for sending an amplified signal through a relay?

Comment

Both reasons relay methods can screw up allowing current bleeding or leakage hurting the unused amp and the ones I used were not kind to the sound. I suppose the right quality is out there I just did not use it due to less knowledge of sources for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post

I am still working to get a satisfactory dual function set up with my in-wall Modula MT's connected to my wife's electronic pipe organ. I previously connected a Logitech duet system to the auxiliary inputs of the organ. That is OK, but there is too much back ground hiss from the organ amps when there is no music playing. Now I would like to devise a switch system to alternately connect either the organ amps or a receiver to the inwall speakers.

I envisioned using four pole double throw relays with the speakers connected to the common pole, and the organ connected to the normally open contacts, the receiver to the normally closed. Each + and - would have its own discrete contact set, and even if the relay would stick, the two amps should never make electrical contact with the other (unless one pole would stick closed while another one moved, not likely since the four poles are mechanically linked).

I still wonder if interrupting the amp output circuit to the speakers by throwing the relay switch while it playing could possibly damage the amp?

Thanks for your response.
          Marv

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
            ...am still working to get a satisfactory dual function set up with my in-wall Modula MT's connected to my wife's electronic pipe organ. I previously connected a Logitech duet system to the auxiliary inputs of the organ. That is OK, but there is too much back ground hiss from the organ amps when there is no music playing. Now I would like to devise a switch system to alternately connect either the organ amps or a receiver to the inwall speakers.

I envisioned using four pole double throw relays with the speakers connected to the common pole, and the organ connected to the normally open contacts, the receiver to the normally closed. Each + and - would have its own discrete contact set, and even if the relay would stick, the two amps should never make electrical contact with the other (unless one pole would stick closed while another one moved, not likely since the four poles are mechanically linked).
            I'd suggest using an integrated amplifier for this. Connect the SlimDevices Duet to one stereo preamp input, connect the organ to another input. If the organ does not have low voltage preamp level output, you may have to attenuate the organ power amplifier output at the integrated amp's preamplifer input.

If you are gettign signal from the organ amplifier, it might have differential output, or floating ground, and if so you would have to AC couple that circuit with coupling caps or an input transformer. But the preamp section of the integrated amplifier would provide source selection, and the power amplifier section would provide better quality amplification for the signal from the Duet.

Something like this might be adequate.
            http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=NAC325BEE

...noticed you mentioned a receiver. Apply the same suggestions above in connecting the organ to input on the receiver, and use the receiver to power the speakers.
            "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
            of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
            - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
            A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
            (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Restating the situation

Originally posted by JRT View Post
              I'd suggest using an integrated amplifier for this. Connect the SlimDevices Duet to one stereo preamp input, connect the organ to another input. If the organ does not have low voltage preamp level output, you may have to attenuate the organ power amplifier output at the integrated amp's preamplifer input.

If you are gettign signal from the organ amplifier, it might have differential output, or floating ground, and if so you would have to AC couple that circuit with coupling caps or an input transformer. But the preamp section of the integrated amplifier would provide source selection, and the power amplifier section would provide better quality amplification for the signal from the Duet.

Something like this might be adequate.
              http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=NAC325BEE

...noticed you mentioned a receiver. Apply the same suggestions above in connecting the organ to input on the receiver, and use the receiver to power the speakers.
              JRT

Maybe I wasn't clear...

Basically, I have one set of speakers through which I want to play either a receiver, or the organ. Both have their own internal amplifiers, so I am dealing with speaker level switching. The slimdevice is not currently being used there, but if I want to use it later, I''ll just connect it to the receiver.

Right now, the organ performs just fine connected directly to the speakers. You can hear some background hiss from the speakers when you stop playing the organ, but that is not objectionable to me. It was objectionable when the slim device was played through the organ amplifier's auxiliary inputs. It was no louder or different than when playing the organ, in fact you can play the organ and whatever is connected to the organ auxiliary input simultaneously, since the organ mixes the two. I just don't like the back ground hiss when playing recorded music--its like having a noisy stereo system. That is why I want to use a receiver as the recorded music sound source, it has no background noise when the music stops or is soft.

I'm just looking for a convenient, safe method to switch between two speaker level sources ( literally, two amplifiers)

Thanks,
              Marv

Comment

Working...
              X