Wiring Diagram for "9" 8ohm loudspeakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Diagram for "9" 8ohm loudspeakers

This is how to wire the original Bose 901 for 9 full range 8ohm loudspeakers with a final impedance of 8ohm.

Enjoy,
    Steve
    Attached Files

Re: Wiring Diagram for "9" 8ohm loudspeakers

Thanks? :p
    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

That was from the Bose Corp. Original Document.
      Have tons more info on the 901, Patents, Reviews, Cad Drawings, Technical Papers. I have built at least 8 pair over the years pattered after the series 3 look.

Steve ~

Comment

Uhm.....

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
        Have tons more info on the 901, Patents, Reviews, Cad Drawings, Technical Papers. I have built at least 8 pair over the years pattered after the series 3 look.

Steve ~
        I am going to side with Nick here. You see the thing is, most of us loathe Bose products for being outrageously priced, poorly performing, and cheap in terms of build-quality.

The thing with the old 901 is that it has no top-end treble, it desperately needs a tweeter. The bass is bloated, and does whistle through the venturi-vents in the cabinets at higher output levels.

And to close for my 2c on this-
        I don't care,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If You don't like the Bose 901 design ..Fine

But if You want to Trash it, Don't bother Posting. No one will be impressed with a Post that knocks a Persons Project of interest, It's a waste of time.

Comment

But if You want to Trash it, Don't bother Posting. No one will be impressed with a Post that knocks a Persons Project of interest, It's a waste of time.
            Trashing your project? I did nothing of the sort. I was stating the general consensus for this particular speaker. Some of it is factual, and has been measured before, and opinions have been validated by others. I was trying to say that you won't get far with a Bose project on this forum, as it is not what we strive for: realism.

Did you post any pictures? No. I cannot say you did well with the finish or the aesthetics. We all like pictures.

All you have posted is about a Bose wiring schematic, a Bose type of speaker, and that you've repeated this more than once. You aren't even realizing how the schematic works, or what is happening in the design, and that is part of the fun.

I'm not a discourager, and usually help a lot of people out on this forum, so I don't know what you're all fired up about.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I posted this Wiring Diagram for People who are interested.
              I would prefer to have responses from people who want to discuss this design,

So if You have an interest Please Post Otherwise. DON'T BOTHER.

Comment

Did they have to ban Vas so soon?? This would have been funny

Comment

I posted this Wiring Diagram for People who are interested.
                  I would prefer to have responses from people who want to discuss this design,

So if You have an interest Please Post Otherwise. DON'T BOTHER.
                  I am discussing the design, can't you take constructive criticism? Pointing out flaws does not mean I am calling it terrible.

If you are talking about interest for some buying these from you or potential buyers, please post in the "for-sale" part of the forum.

The wiring diagram in itself is rather simple, and easy to figure out without even having the schematic.

However, the way Bose did it, it's power response is dependant on *which* driver is on the front, and in fact is an imbalanced power-taper with an odd number of drivers in this arrangement. The better arrangement would be a single driver on the front, in parallel with the rear 8 drivers in series, netting a 7 ohm impedance, and keeping the power-taper in check.

I can understand if you think I'm trashing your design, but in fact, I'm just pointing out some short-comings, and possible improvements.
                  Later,
                  Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by greysplash View Post
                    Did they have to ban Vas so soon?? This would have been funny
                    What makes you think he's not here? :eek:
                    - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                    www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Steve ~
                      What drivers did you use?

Comment

I used Pioneer 4.5" A11ec80-02F . Did them in sealed cabinet . I have been out of this hobby for several years, but I am looking at doing a 8" driver version or 6.5" version, I am really glad to see all the choices of drive units available.

I always like the design and the science that went into these speakers,but always felt Bose did a total injustice by building them cheap and out of plastic. anything to raise the bottom line on the P&L Statements.

Comment

I used Pioneer 4.5" A11ec80-02F . Did them in sealed cabinet . I have been out of this hobby for several years, but I am looking at doing a 8" driver version or 6.5" version, I am really glad to see all the choices of drive units available.
                          Funny this thread popped up. I was looking through the Buyouts on PE's site the other day and found these drivers.
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-160
                          And thought that these would make a great 901 with a compliment of Piezo tweeters, although I'd probably have all 8 face me than the wall.
                          Did the Xmax on the Pioneers hinder it's performance?

Comment

That would probably work with the tweeter , One thing I have liked about this design is these are all Full range drivers no crossover at all, keeping it simple hence the closed box preference . I used 1" mdf for the baffles and 3/4" for the top sides and bottom. approx .85 internal box volume. At the time I lived near MENISCUS Audio in Mi, and he was a big help, I just wanted to build an Audiophile version of this design. He even had them in his shop at one time. back then my only real Driver choices that made any sense were the Pioneer a11ec80-02f or 4.5" tonnagen (if that is spelled right) and I used both , but stuck with the pioneer.

Now I am looking for 6.5" or 8" Pro Dual cone loudspeaker (not coaxial) with an EBP of around 80-90 or less as I prefer the Closed box. an spl of 92 or better and 25 watt rms or better rating. been looking at Visaton and Atlas.

I used the White Instruments 1/3 Octave pro EQ and found it to do the job with less boost than I was expecting. This time I am using Sony's SONNOX VST EQ a 5 band Parametric Plug-in that is on my Computer. These are also used in Studios and if it is good enough for Studio's to use then I tend to trust it more.

Comment

I gotta agree with sdep777 here... Wolf's response was needlessly harsh, particularly the "I don't care" comment (if you don't care, then why did you post?)... perhaps Wolf didn't intend it to come out that way.

Reminds me of a response I got on another forum regarding bracing my Tritrix cabinets... it was to the effect of "Why bother, you're making crap speakers using garbage drivers anyways"...

This isn't quite as harsh, but along the same lines.

Constructive critiquing is one thing... slamming the entire endeavor because you don't think it's a worthwhile project is something else altogether.
                              Form does not follow function
                              Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

Working...
                              X