OT: The woes continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: The woes continue

Today, I'm playing a bit of soccer with the nephews, nieces, aunts and uncles and as the game is drawing to a close, I hear a POP and know immediately that I blew out my Achilles tendon on my left ankle.

Looks like 3 to 6 month sentence to a boot-brace and physical therapy after that to loosen up the joints after the boot treatment.

It's been a rough past couple years . . .

Sucks gettin' old.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: OT: The woes continue

That sucks, Pete. Will that require surgery??

Comment

Today, I'm playing a bit of soccer with the nephews, nieces, aunts and uncles and as the game is drawing to a close, I hear a POP and know immediately that I blew out my Achilles tendon on my left ankle.

Looks like 3 to 6 month sentence to a boot-brace and physical therapy after that to loosen up the joints after the boot treatment.

Sucks gettin' old.

I tore my achilles in college, Pete. I know exactly how it feels, and how long it takes. I made it back all the way though. I will be praying for your recovery.
      Jeff
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Sucks gettin' old.

I feel you man... I had a very similar injury 27 years ago... just before I saw this post I had slipped on my ankle brace to head out for a 7:00AM tee time. After I walk 18 holes of golf today (at my course that is 5.3 miles) it will be sore and tight but nothing a 200mg celebrex does not help with. I remember that original injury as one of the most painful I ever incurred. I tore the tendon completely away from my heel and had to have surgery to have it reattached. It seems to respond best now to as much excersize as I can give it.

Oh and yes it does suck getting old just don't let those young guys know it. I hope you recover quickly and there is not too much damage.
        Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
        If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Really sorry to hear about that, Pete. Yes, it certainly does suck getting old. It gets to the point where it seems to be one nagging problem after another. Way more than "nagging problems" in your case though. Hang tough.

By the way, I'm not satisfied with the way my finishing on the baffles is turning out. Getting that fixed is setting me back again by a couple more days. :(

My brother is very interested in a joint building of a pair of those petite RS125S-8 MTMWW 2.5-ways you posted to the forum last February (I think). If we go forward I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1234 View Post
            That sucks, Pete. Will that require surgery??
            More than likely. I don't think it's completely torn away, but enough is to warrant reattachment.

Oh well . . . one more thing . . . I'm scheduling MRI today so that we can set up the surgery and get this over with.

BLAST!!!!
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
              I feel you man... I had a very similar injury 27 years ago... just before I saw this post I had slipped on my ankle brace to head out for a 7:00AM tee time. After I walk 18 holes of golf today (at my course that is 5.3 miles) it will be sore and tight but nothing a 200mg celebrex does not help with. I remember that original injury as one of the most painful I ever incurred. I tore the tendon completely away from my heel and had to have surgery to have it reattached. It seems to respond best now to as much excersize as I can give it.

Oh and yes it does suck getting old just don't let those young guys know it. I hope you recover quickly and there is not too much damage.
              The few injuries I've had have almost all been tendons and most since starting to play volleyball seriously for maybe the last 10 years. My worst one was very much like yours, tearing the achilles at the heel. I'd known since college that there was something there as running distance in college always started with a sore achilles on that foot that stopped after 5 minutes. Playing VB I was moving one way, the ball the other and my achilles didn't like my attempt to suddenly change direction. I heard it as well. The same thing had happened to the top hamstring tendon. I never went to the doc for either one. However, after a few weeks I just continued to play like I had only one leg. :( I was just lucky that the achilles didn't tear off entirely.

That was over 6 years ago. It's just in the last 6 months that I've gotten to where I'm almost at full speed and maneuverability on the court again with only slight soreness afterwards. I've found the same thing, it actually feels better if I keep working it. Kinda strange. No exercise for a few days and it may hurt quite a bit. Play for 2 hours and it's good the next day, although a game of golf seems to be harder on it than VB.

dlr
              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

When I was 6 or 7 years old I took a ride on the back of a bicycle and caught my heal in the rear spokes breaking several of them. The back of my heal broke off and it partially ripped the achilles tendon. So I know how much that hurts.

Get well soon!!!

More than likely. I don't think it's completely torn away, but enough is to warrant reattachment.

Oh well . . . one more thing . . . I'm scheduling MRI today so that we can set up the surgery and get this over with.

BLAST!!!!

Comment

Well, age is not the only indicator of these things... I am 33 years old, and due primarily to ten years of football starting when I was six years old and then spending the last 17 years practicing karate I have had a fair share of injuries, both trauma related and good old fashioned "wear-and-tear". I stopped playing football when I was 16 because I was "clipped" and blew my left knee out, requiring a surgery to correct it. It still hurts to this day, and I am sure the karate isn't helping.

My shoulder on the right side is also pretty much shot, I tore the rotator cuff several years ago when I was practicing some arm bars with a strong young man and I am afraid that it may require surgery as well.

As they say, getting old sucks but it beats the alternative!

I hope you have a speedy recovery, Pete. It ain't no fun to be down and out.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're injured, Pete. I don't mean this to sound callous or frivolous, but I'm sure glad I wasn't the least bit atheletically-inclined in my youth; I'm never tempted to do something physically that my old bones can't endure! Still, it sucks to get older (I refuse to say old). I hope your surgery and healing go better than expected.
                    Paul

Comment

Oh Damn, Pete.

I can't imagine how that must hurt. Agree re: the growing old. Too many marathons and running through "the wall" and the physical warnings way too often leaves me with way too much wear and tear. One does not imagine the lomg term effects when one is 30ish.

Maynard

Comment

Pete,

You already exhibit a healthy attitude: get the corrective work done now and then through the rest of it. Have a speedy recovery.

I can relate from my detached bicep many years ago. I'm fortunate I didn't need it to walk. :rolleyes:
                        Mongo only pawn in game of life
                        ____
                        Ed

Comment

I didn't manage to tear my achilles (yet), but 8 years ago I tore completely tore 2 ligaments in my right ankle, partially tore a third, ruptured the joint capsule, and had a high ankle sprain that hurt worse than the other tears combined. But what hurt the most was the orthopedic surgeon telling me that if I were younger he'd operate, but at my advanced age it just wasn't worthwile. I was 44 at the time.
                          Fortunately that wasn't the reaction two years later when I tore my left ACL.
                          It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
                            Pete,

You already exhibit a healthy attitude: get the corrective work done now and then through the rest of it. Have a speedy recovery.

I can relate from my detached bicep many years ago. I'm fortunate I didn't need it to walk. :rolleyes:
                            How'd you do that??? I've generally only heard of bodybuilders doing that.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
                              I didn't manage to tear my achilles (yet), but 8 years ago I tore completely tore 2 ligaments in my right ankle, partially tore a third, ruptured the joint capsule, and had a high ankle sprain that hurt worse than the other tears combined. But what hurt the most was the orthopedic surgeon telling me that if I were younger he'd operate, but at my advanced age it just wasn't worthwile. I was 44 at the time.
                              Fortunately that wasn't the reaction two years later when I tore my left ACL.
                              Advanced age at 44? I'd find another surgeon.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X