12" coaxial on sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" coaxial on sale

Anyone checked out the 12" coaxial on sale?

The details state, "Listed below is a plan to build a dedicated 24 dB/octave 1,800 Hz passive crossover" .. however the suggested crossover spec seems to be missing.

Looks like they might make a good little monitor.

Re: 12" coaxial on sale

Originally posted by envisionelec
    FYI, these are a B&C OEM driver. I bought a few. ;)
    12cxt?

I checked the b&c catalog. Enough info to work with. They definitely have some better 12" coax drivers, but it's workable.

Comment

No, I couldn't find the model number to match any of their stock items. But the drivers' construction matches other B&C speakers and diaphragms. Given PE's relationship with B&C and some proprietary information that I can't talk about (heh), I have 100% confidence that these are indeed OEM B&C speakers.

We are addressing the missing crossover issue, hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Both the sound quality and construction make this a very desirable driver, however these were not constructed by B&C (for OEM purposes or otherwise).

Comment

No, I couldn't find the model number to match any of their stock items. But the drivers' construction matches other B&C speakers and diaphragms. Given PE's relationship with B&C and some proprietary information that I can't talk about (heh), I have 100% confidence that these are indeed OEM B&C speakers.
        I looked again and they don't look identical (woofer frame the same, but that doesn't mean much.. and the CD looks different).

PE:

b&c cxt:

Comment

The specs and picture look too good to be true. I wonder how good they sound?

Comment

Of course it's not the same. Could I not be any more clear?
            I was just clarifying I didn't look very closely the first time when I thought it was the cxt. I had been looking at the B&C catalog last week and swore I saw one that looked like that (after you mentioned b&c.. I wouldn't have remebered otherwise).

However, if you open up the CD driver, it shares the diaphragm of a B&C driver. So the case is a bit different. The construction methods of the woofer are clearly B&C - or a ridiculously good clone of them. The back plate is threaded, presumably to mount components for its intended commercial speaker design.

The one time I state 100% confidence, I get a redirect and rebuff. Christ.

Then who, prey tell, is the manufacturer?
            Wonder if MikeV will/can say.

Not constructed by b&c doesn't say much (doesn't mean they aren't the same motor structure). Do they even construct drivers, or do they just design them and have them produced in China or Taiwan?

Comment

I just need to stay off this board as I just tend to **** people off. PE really loves to clamp down on my posts anymore. :(
              Huh? The only reason I was reading this thread was because you posted here and I don't see a lot of your posts anymore. Since when have you p'iss'ed anybody off? I think you're just looking for an excuse to retreat to your new NASA spec workshop and hibernate for the winter.
              Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

I came across this while looking for the B&C Model XO-2 crossover for the 12CXT.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...l_speaker.html

Could this be who manufactured the speaker I wonder?

Comment

Any comments on perceived sound quality? What are you using as a XO? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Angaria View Post
                    Any comments on perceived sound quality? What are you using as a XO? Thanks.

x2. The recommended xover is fairly complex and expensive. .
                    www.artofnoiseaudio.comAUthorized Builder for Bill Fitzmaurice cabinets

Comment

I'll have full measurements of these in a few weeks, with and without cone treatment (I'm assuming it will need it).
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H View Post
                        I came across this while looking for the B&C Model XO-2 crossover for the 12CXT.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...l_speaker.html

Could this be who manufactured the speaker I wonder?
                        FK in the far east? I'd say you're on to something.. :D

NK
                        I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                          I'll have full measurements of these in a few weeks, with and without cone treatment (I'm assuming it will need it).
                          Cool! At $50, it could be a real sleeper. What kind of cone treatment are you going to use?
                          Dennis

Comment

Well I have some Wet Look, some Titebond Melamine (suggested by John Janowitz if I can't get the real speaker coating stuff) and I'm looking at 3 products from CP Moyen, but have pretty much settled on a certain one. This was also suggested by John J as he uses a modified formulation from CP Moyen. The stuff I picked sounds just like what he uses, PVA based, very viscous, and slightly tacky. Small quantities might be a problem though. I haven't got a price quote yet.
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Of course it's not the same. Could I not be any more clear? However, if you open up the CD driver, it shares the diaphragm of a B&C driver. So the case is a bit different. The construction methods of the woofer are clearly B&C - or a ridiculously good clone of them. The back plate is threaded, presumably to mount components for its intended commercial speaker design.
                              The one time I state 100% confidence, I get a redirect and rebuff. Christ.
                              Then who, prey tell, is the manufacturer?
                              These coaxials are Soundtube RF122-150. I've know that since the tent sale last year, have the store shelf package, full model w/XO, but was so enjoying the wispy arms flailing about the large central mass...:D
                              Now that they are gone, just thought I'd let you know.
                              Don't be so shy next time, or leave so early. Make sure to say hi this time when I see you at Dayton.;)

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Working...
                              X