Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

    Hi, all! It looks as though the annual event will be relocated this year.

    Shawn doesn't want to be up to his elbows in sleep deprivation, and Brian Powers and I have talked about throwing one. Shawn has willfully handed us the reigns, and I am putting out feelers for the placement and time. There is nothing saying Shawn won't host it again next year, but there is also nothing saying this can't be a roaming event in the Hoosier state to balance out the personal load.

    As it looks right now, I don't want to have any traffic issues or people getting lost in the nearby city of Ft. Wayne (We all know how tough Lexington is for me! LOL!), so I'm going to attempt to throw this event in "The Classic City" of Auburn, IN. There are quite a few hotels in the area around the interstate, and plenty of restaurants and stores for needs to be remedied should any arise. Ft. Wayne has hotels about 30 minutes south if that is your choice.

    As for the time, it will be nailed down soon, rather than later. I want that solidified ASAP, so people can make travel arrangements. I'm tentatively looking at the brand new Hampton Inn that just went in this year, as that seems to be a typical place to hold one. I'm thinking the 2nd/3rd week of April, or the first weekend of May, but we'll see what is available.

    I would like to keep this a low-key event, without competition, but setting a reference level is not out of the question just purely for comparison's sake.

    I will also be suggesting a dinner the night prior at a local eatery if there is interest.

    So-
    WHO'S GAME!?!?

    I'm hoping that this placement is a further enough north to bring some more people south to enjoy an event when they have not been able to prior. Maybe even some Canadians or Yoopers would also be in attendance.

    Feel free to send me/Brian a PM, or to e-mail me at shafbm01*AT*hotmail.com.

    Later, and I'll keep the updates coming....
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

    *InDIYana event website*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  • #2
    Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

    Sounds good Wolf. Count me in. May not have an entry ready, but who knows?
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

      Sounds good Wolf. Count me in. May not have an entry ready, but who knows?
      Your name is on my list!
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

      *InDIYana event website*

      Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

      My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

        Let's see.... 1117 miles each way divided by 25 mpg time $1.70 per gallon..... about $ .57 left for building a Budget entry.

        Sorry Wolf.....

        Now.... who is up for Florida?????

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

          Wolf,

          You can count me in. I may or may not have my BaSSlines complete by then, which is the only new thing I'm working on now. I guess I could bring them in whatever state they are in. I will probably drive up that day, however, since it is only 3 hours or so.

          I like the no competition idea. I think it is more relaxing and enjoyable. You could shake things up a bit and play them in random order for greater variety. Just a thought.
          Dan N.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

            Ben/Shawn: I will be in CA working on another ship until Mid-May, but if I am home I will make it.

            Robert

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Hi, all! It looks as though the annual event will be relocated this year.

              Shawn doesn't want to be up to his elbows in sleep deprivation, and Brian Powers and I have talked about throwing one. Shawn has willfully handed us the reigns, and I am putting out feelers for the placement and time. There is nothing saying Shawn won't host it again next year, but there is also nothing saying this can't be a roaming event in the Hoosier state to balance out the personal load.

              As it looks right now, I don't want to have any traffic issues or people getting lost in the nearby city of Ft. Wayne (We all know how tough Lexington is for me! LOL!), so I'm going to attempt to throw this event in "The Classic City" of Auburn, IN. There are quite a few hotels in the area around the interstate, and plenty of restaurants and stores for needs to be remedied should any arise. Ft. Wayne has hotels about 30 minutes south if that is your choice.

              As for the time, it will be nailed down soon, rather than later. I want that solidified ASAP, so people can make travel arrangements. I'm tentatively looking at the brand new Hampton Inn that just went in this year, as that seems to be a typical place to hold one. I'm thinking the 2nd/3rd week of April, or the first weekend of May, but we'll see what is available.

              I would like to keep this a low-key event, without competition, but setting a reference level is not out of the question just purely for comparison's sake.

              I will also be suggesting a dinner the night prior at a local eatery if there is interest.

              So-
              WHO'S GAME!?!?

              I'm hoping that this placement is a further enough north to bring some more people south to enjoy an event when they have not been able to prior. Maybe even some Canadians or Yoopers would also be in attendance.

              Feel free to send me/Brian a PM, or to e-mail me at shafbm01*AT*hotmail.com.

              Later, and I'll keep the updates coming....
              Wolf

              I am much happier with the idea of there being no competition. I have been to both types of gatherings and have found the ones with the competitions to loose their enjoyment after awhile, they just seem to go on a little too long, and I have noticed that some people can actually come away feeling a little bad. It's much more fun for everyone when people just demo their stuff and share their thoughts on why they made what they did, and even answer a few questions.

              Although I have always faired well in the competitions that I have participated in, I have actually enjoyed the other form of gathering better. It's a little more low key and just takes the edginess of competition out of it, and lets' face it we are way too competitive as a society anyway.

              I think my favortite gathering was the one at Phil Bamberg's house where people just took turns showing off their speakers and mingling. I did however, really enjoy meeting everyone last year in Richmond though. That's the part I wouldn't trade for the world.

              I would love to come if I can, but with my job it is very difficult to say at this time whether I can this far ahead of time. I can at least tell you that I can't make the first weekend in May - that's my son's 8th birthday, and I had better be here for that. However, if it is a time that I can make, and I am free from work, then since you live about half-way between Jim and I, I may ask him to bring something we're working on down again to demo for us like last year.

              Jeff
              Last edited by Jeff B.; 12-31-2008, 02:17 PM.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                I am really looking forward to this event. I believe that we will be able to get ahold of a nice amplification / speaker stand setup. THis should help to showcase your stuff!

                Does anyone have some DIY acoustic panels they could bring for the show?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                  Wow, great news, I'll be there. I might even have the project intended for Lexington done by then.:D
                  "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

                  "Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

                  "We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                    Wolf,

                    I will most likely be there. The only real issue is an upcoming job change and that will of course affect how much vacation time I have at my disposal. If I do make it I will have a pair of speakers to show off.

                    Doug
                    http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

                    I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                      Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                      Let's see.... 1117 miles each way divided by 25 mpg time $1.70 per gallon..... about $ .57 left for building a Budget entry.

                      Sorry Wolf.....

                      Now.... who is up for Florida?????
                      With Lex, having 2 people really helped keep the driving cost down. But I would like to see a show of hands for Florida and maybe we could start something for the south!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                        Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        I am much happier with the idea of there being no competition. I have been to both types of gatherings and have found the ones with the competitions to loose their enjoyment after awhile, they just seem to go one too long, and have noticed that some people can actually come away feeling a little bad. It's much more fun for everyone when people just demo their stuff and share their thoughts on why they made what they did, and even answer a few questions.

                        Although I have always faired well in the competitions that I have participated in, I have actually enjoyed the other form of gathering better. It's a little more low key and just takes the edginess of competition out of it, and lets' face it we are way too competitive as a society anyway.

                        Jeff
                        Ditto. Also, there are still likely to be events, like Dayton and Iowa, where there is competition and judging, so all types are available. Variety is good!
                        Dan N.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Format thoughts

                          Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                          I am much happier with the idea of there being no competition. I have been to both types of gatherings and have found the ones with the competitions to loose their enjoyment after awhile, they just seem to go one too long, and have noticed that some people can actually come away feeling a little bad. It's much more fun for everyone when people just demo their stuff and share their thoughts on why they made what they did, and even answer a few questions...
                          I totally agree with Jeff. I've been to "competition" style events, would not do another. None of our AZ-NM brethren seem to miss it. (I guess we all feel ours are big enough/good enough):rolleyes:

                          The daycare venue we had last time (four listening rooms) was as close to ideal as I've seen. We had a bottlehead room, and places for those who liked classical, jazz, or rock. Room acoustics were a bit bright, but much closer to home environment than some of the larger venues we had. Folks wandered about, grazed for food, and listened as they felt the urge. You could just as easily have a budget room, big floor stander room,...
                          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                            I'm definitely in for one project. Hopefully two projects, by the time the event rolls around. And if fate smiles on me, three. Even though I don't feel my skill level is where it would need to be for a competition, I would certainly benefit from comments and practical suggestions. Add me to your mailing list, Wolf. Also, if you've got an AIM screen name, feel free to drop me a PM with it in there.

                            Cheers,

                            Rory
                            Best Regards,

                            Rory Buszka

                            Taterworks Audio

                            "The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

                            If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: "InDIYana 2009" information/interest query.....

                              Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                              I am really looking forward to this event. I believe that we will be able to get ahold of a nice amplification / speaker stand setup. THis should help to showcase your stuff!

                              Does anyone have some DIY acoustic panels they could bring for the show?
                              I've got a few Owens Corning panels laying around. Let me see what I can do to make them "show worthy" and I'll bring them along.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                              95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X