Towers? Li'l Thunder Sticks, maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towers? Li'l Thunder Sticks, maybe

My 2 week Christmas holiday ends tomorrow. I just wanted to show you what I just got wrapped up today for my brother. The details go back to some forum discussions here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=RS125

I going to try to post more on these at a later date, because the sound absolutely defies the size. These fella's are a mere 34" tall with a volume just a bit over .8 cu. ft. They are ported, tuned to ~ 58 Hz with a 3" diameter port in the rear.

Finish is black ash vinyl veneer. There is a very slight slant of the baffle upward toward the listener. The second pic shows the diminutive size compared to my RS180 towers with 2 cu. ft. + volume.
    Attached Files

Re: Towers? Li'l Thunder Sticks, maybe

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
    My 2 week Christmas holiday ends tomorrow. I just wanted to show you what I just got wrapped up today for my brother. The details go back to some forum discussions here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=RS125

I going to try to post more on these at a later date, because the sound absolutely defies the size. These fella's are a mere 34" tall with a volume just a bit over .8 cu. ft. They are ported, tuned to ~ 58 Hz with a 3" diameter port in the rear.

Finish is black ash vinyl veneer. There is a very slight slant of the baffle upward toward the listener. The second pic shows the diminutive size compared to my RS180 towers with 2 cu. ft. + volume.
    Knockouts, really. Your cabinetry skills are flat out excellent. I like the tilted back look. Great for such a small floor stander, getting the listening axis pointed up away from your knees (unless that's just an optical delusion on my part . . .)

You better bring these to Iowa this fall. I want to hear them!!!

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

So tell us more about them! What width and depth did you end up with on these? What angle did you go with for the slanted baffle?

Pete shared this design with me a couple of months ago and I'm seriously thinking about building these. Either these or a 3-way version incorporating the RS52 as the mid since I also need a center and would much prefer a 3-way.

Comment

Knockouts, really. Your cabinetry skills are flat out excellent. I like the tilted back look. Great for such a small floor stander, getting the listening axis pointed up away from your knees (unless that's just an optical delusion on my part . . .)
        Not illusion. These will hit you dead on if you are seated at about 12-15 feet away, which is taylor-made for my brother's apartment. I was concerned about the short height, and the angle adds some interest to the look. It was actually pretty easy to do.

Photos are good at hiding tiny flaws. My perfectionist brother will be a tougher test. Overall though I'm delighted in the outcome.

Comment

Not illusion. These will hit you dead on if you are seated at about 12-15 feet away, which is taylor-made for my brother's apartment. I was concerned about the short height, and the angle adds some interest to the look. It was actually pretty easy to do.
          Hummm.....that makes these even more interesting seeing as we are moving back to Atlanta (woo hoo!!) and I will be about 12-14' away from these. Actually, the room is pretty much a 14' cube but the fireplace on the right wall and the furniture will help break things up a bit. I think they'll go great with a projector and a 92" screen!

Comment

Originally posted by brianbunge View Post
            So tell us more about them! What width and depth did you end up with on these? What angle did you go with for the slanted baffle?

Pete shared this design with me a couple of months ago and I'm seriously thinking about building these. Either these or a 3-way version incorporating the RS52 as the mid since I also need a center and would much prefer a 3-way.
            The width is 7". The height without the feet is 33 5/8". The depth is 8 1/4" at the top and 9 3/4" at the base. These are 5/8" particle board all around, except the baffle is 1/2" ply glued to 1/2" MDF for a 1" thickness. The back is removable and I have 3/4" quarter round on the inside to help stiffen the cabinet and insure a good seal for the back. About 75% of the inside is lined with carpet pad. Poly fill is behind the lower drivers at the back. A 3" diameter port is behind the tweeter.

I'll try to get more shots to post. It really is an interesting build. I just love how these li'l RS125's sound. This is my first time using the RS28. It's very good.

Comment

Originally posted by brianbunge View Post
              Hummm.....that makes these even more interesting seeing as we are moving back to Atlanta (woo hoo!!) and I will be about 12-14' away from these. Actually, the room is pretty much a 14' cube but the fireplace on the right wall and the furniture will help break things up a bit. I think they'll go great with a projector and a 92" screen!
              These would be plenty for a room that size. Add a sub and you've got a great start.

Comment

Cool! My only issue now is do I want to do the 2.5-way or go with the full on 3-way with the RS52. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

I'll try to get more shots to post. It really is an interesting build. I just love how these li'l RS125's sound. This is my first time using the RS28. It's very good.
                  Paul Carmody used the XT25 in place of the RS28 in his Sunflowers, and found it to be much nicer. While the RS28 is vastly better than the XT25 crossed over at low frequencies, the RS125 can cross over high enough that the XT25 is a better choice, though you might want to turn the speaker into a 2.5-way to keep driver spacing reasonable. (Basically a WMTMW with the woofers also being RS125s.)

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                    Paul Carmody used the XT25 in place of the RS28 in his Sunflowers, and found it to be much nicer. While the RS28 is vastly better than the XT25 crossed over at low frequencies, the RS125 can cross over high enough that the XT25 is a better choice, though you might want to turn the speaker into a 2.5-way to keep driver spacing reasonable. (Basically a WMTMW with the woofers also being RS125s.)
                    These are 2.5-ways, MTMWW style, using all 8 Ohm drivers, the upper two in series and the lower two in series.

This design crosses lower than the XT25 would like to, at 2KHz. The XT25 should not be crossed below 2500Hz in order to avoid rising distortion levels. The lower XO point allows for a better vertical listening window as well.

Besides, this keeps it 100% Dayton reference. And the RS28 is no slouch. Everyone has their preferences, and one of my favorites is the RS28. And I think they look, hands down, better than the XT25. And you ain't gettin' no curious fingers all over that dome.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

By the way Turn2, thanks for the compliments on the sim. Could not have done it without guys like Zaph, Jeff B., Roman B., Mark K. I feel real good about doing stuff like this because the quality of the data these guys provide is so good. And from my own measured efforts, I get confirmation that the sims get you so close that tweaking is fairly simple. Paul K's Centilana was such an effort, based on sims, tweaked by ear (Paul has a good one too), and confirmed by measurement.

You've got me wanting to make a pair now. I built a couple bookshelf speakers using the RS125 and the HiVi K1. No BSC. Those little woofers really do shine. I've liked every system I've heard them in so far. The Microbes are great. Shawn A also did a system I believe, but I forget the tweeter. I'm sure 8 of them are a little more than surprising to the ear when just one pair of them is so pleasant.

Comment

Pete,

Yeah, seeing an actual pair built makes me want to do so as well. So if you had your choice, would you go with the RS28a or one of the Dayton Neo's if you were going to use the RS52 for a mid? I know the RS28 is a bit overkill when talking about using a 3KHz-3.5KHz xo point, but I've yet to hear a design with the neo's so I'm a little hesitant. And of course I'm very familiar with the sound of the RS28a. Also, I've got a CAD file for an integrated TM faceplate so I can get much better driver spacing than what the separate tweeter and mid faceplates allow. Nikbrewer has said he could probably make me some from 1/8" aluminum or even cut down some phenolic and machine it to work as well.

I know we've talked about this offline before, but I thought I'd make you commit in public! ;)

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else, this is a very interesting design Pete and it's been wonderfully executed Turn2. The RS125 seems supremely suited to this task. 4 can perform well in a small vented enclosure while still hitting the low notes.

But I do have a question, for this situation, what benefit is there to adding the two woofer in the ".5" configuration? How would it be superior to the MTM alone?
                          - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                          www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Originally posted by HareBrained View Post
                            I have to agree with everyone else, this is a very interesting design Pete and it's been wonderfully executed Turn2. The RS125 seems supremely suited to this task. 4 can perform well in a small vented enclosure while still hitting the low notes.

But I do have a question, for this situation, what benefit is there to adding the two woofer in the ".5" configuration? How would it be superior to the MTM alone?
                            One of my first projects was Lou C's AZ-2525, an MTM with the RS125 and an Audax tweeter. I gave them away as a housewarming gift and have always felt a little regret. They really were nice.

Granted this project takes a big step up with the tweeter, but the fullness of the sound is on a whole new level. I can't give you the technical terms for the reason why, but I can attest to hearing the difference.

Comment

The extra 2 woofers have two benefits. They handle the baffle step, which helps to keep efficiency high. They also give you more bass output at higher SPL's.

Comment

Working...
                              X