X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maynardg
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Nov 2005

Nominations! Tweeter upgrade.

Every opinion very much appreciated. I have Seas 27TDFC modeled in my 3-way. I've used them before and I'm really quite happy with the sound they can make. But, in your opinion, what are better sounding options? Nice if it would fit the the same cutout 104mm flange, 74mm cutout. But not necessary - mdf is relatively cheap. Not ready for Air Circ $$ though. I'd like to go up in $$ some if the sound is there, but no $100+ tweeters are likely to pass muster with the domestic auditor.

Thanks,

MG
  • Paul K.
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Re: Nominations! Tweeter upgrade.

In my canTiLenas I used the Fountek NeoCD1.0 which has a flange diameter of just under 4" (100 mm), plus its cutout is rectangular. I listen to the canTiLenas every day and like this tweeter very much especially when mated with the MDM55. Their cost when I bought them was $58 each.
    Paul

Originally posted by maynardg
    Every opinion very much appreciated. I have Seas 27TDFC modeled in my 3-way. I've used them before and I'm really quite happy with the sound they can make. But, in your opinion, what are better sounding options? Nice if it would fit the the same cutout 104mm flange, 74mm cutout. But not necessary - mdf is relatively cheap. Not ready for Air Circ $$ though. I'd like to go up in $$ some if the sound is there, but no $100+ tweeters are likely to pass muster with the domestic auditor.

Thanks,

MG

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Oct 2005

Thanks,

MG
      RS28 fits. Very nice tweeter.

27TBFC/G fits, of course.

And I think the Peerless HDS would fit as well.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• martyh
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2005

Hey Maynard,

Everybody seems to be diggin' on the Usher 9950 these days and the fit should be pretty close (104.5 / 73.2). Priced at $120/pr they navigate well below that rarified Air-circ altitude.

Marty

Comment

• ctbowman
          Midrange Member
          • Dec 2006

I've always liked the B&G neo3 and the price is quite reasonable.
          It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

• lhwidget
            • Jun 2008

No experience with these, but the sale price looks very tempting...

Jay T
            http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

• Mayhem13
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jun 2008

Thanks,

MG
              It really depends on the crossover and the driver you'll be crossing it to. See Zaphs tweeter mishmash for specs, measurements and reviews as well as suggested xover points of most of the DIY tweeters. His database is the just about the best reference library i've come across. I've used the 27tdfc as well at 2k 2nd order and i love em. I've caught myself looking to upgrade but i couldn't put a finger on what i was looking for in improvement so i decided IMO, they're as good as it gets for me. I think at this pricepoint, it becomes subjective. Measurement wise most tweeters at this pricepoint do very well so it's more of a matter of taste than anything else.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Sep 2005

Hi Maynard,

You know I'm a ribbon fan but they need to be used selectively and properly to perform their best. If you're going with a dome, I like Seas. I'm fond of the 27TDFC/27TBFC for a lower crossover and the new Seas 27TBCDGB-DXT looks really good if you can cross at 2.5K. I'm also a big fan of the 22TAFG with a 2.5K cross or higher. it could easily be my favorite. Very, very clean with excellent body and dispersion.

I might add that the Vifa D26NC55's I've head have also been very nice but what a horrible faceplate design!

Jim

Comment

• maynardg
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Nov 2005

Jim, you know me and ribbons. I think last year at DIY IA was the first time I thought yes, maybe they can be good. Sure nice in the Statements and some other designs.

My best tweeter implementation ever is probably the D26NC's in the Tzu Jan's last year. My best tweeters on hand are the Hiquphons. The tweeter than models easiest in my DIY Iowa 2009 work is the 27TDFC.

The other challenge is building to a price point for DIY Iowa. To stay in the midrange - if Doug does not raise the limit to allow for the awful price increases we've been having - I can go with a $60 tweeter at most.

There are too many options. I'm thinking about building these with some kind of tweeter baffle insert so I can experiment a bit. If the Hiqs sound best, I'll use 'em - even if I have to go unlimited at IA. I have to listen to the darned things all the time - you guys have to endure them for only 10 minutes.

Maybe someday, I'll stop being concerned with such things and just load up on Illuminators, Revelators and the next generation Kleftnobulators.

Comment

• benchtester
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2008

I nominate the Vifa XT25. I bought the single magnet version from Jed K. a while back. I have the TDFC and AirCirc; with the AirCirc being my (currently available) favorite. I am not sure how to word this, it is very subjective: but if you compared the TDFC to the AirCirc, the XT25 is more than 50% of the way to the AirCirc.

The real deal right now is the double magnet version of the XT25, being sold by Jed K.

Use this FREE forum to sell your personal audio/video gear to other audio enthusiasts. Please read the Sticky “Rules For Posting” before posting your items for sale. NO COMMERCIAL SALES PLEASE!

I have not heard the double magnet version, but it is universally reported as better. Should keep you in the competition price range $54.10 retail, $39 from Jed. Dimensions fit, it is 5 screw holes instead of 4.

Electrically the XT25 has better lower end extension, so it would need a crossover adjustment.

A great tweeter is the D260 Dynaudio, and it is electrically comparable to the TDFC. But it is not available to DIY now and it would be in the same price range as the AirCirc.

Comment

• maynardg
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Nov 2005

I have a friend with the D260 and they do sound really fine. Probably the nicest sounding tweeter I have heard.

Comment

• KeithL
                        Midrange Member
                        • Dec 2008

I have heard the 9950 in the Usher X-718 2way monitor. It was smooth and detailed with out being harsh in any way. They xover at 2.06k. Very nice. The 9950 has been used in some of their speakers that retailed upto $4500/pair.

Good luck.

Remember the best speaker is was sounds best to you.

Comment

• benchtester
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • May 2008

BTW, for reference, the AirCirc and the Dynaudio D260 are very very close in sound quality.

I don't have evidence, but I suspect that the AirCirc may be more accurate, but the D260 is more musical but maybe the slightly extra "air" and such might be distortion products. But still so close to be a matter of preference. I am really (but not literally) splitting hairs here.

I am using the AirCirc in a shallow waveguide on my reference speakers; on a totally flat baffle, I think I would use my existing D260's. (The D260 frequency response was more uneven in the waveguide; probably a factor of the dome dimensions.) Since Dynaudio doesn't sell to DIY's anymore; they are off my list for future designs.

Edit: In concurrence with KiethL there is no "best tweeter". In my waveguide, the AirCirc "dusts the Dynaudio D260". If I was crossing 3 kHz. or above, I could be happy with the Aurasound NT1-204-8D ($12.25 at Madisound).

Comment

• benchtester
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • May 2008

BTW, for reference, the AirCirc and the Dynaudio D260 are very very close in sound quality.

I don't have evidence, but I suspect that the AirCirc may be more accurate, but the D260 is more musical but maybe the slightly extra "air" and such might be distortion products. But still so close to be a matter of preference. I am really (but not literally) splitting hairs here.

I am using the AirCirc in a shallow waveguide on my reference speakers; on a totally flat baffle, I think I would use my existing D260's. (The D260 frequency response was more uneven in the waveguide; probably a factor of the dome dimensions.) Since Dynaudio doesn't sell to DIY's anymore; they are off my list for future designs.

Comment

• johnpastuck
                              Midrange Member
                              • Jun 2006

WARNING. THESE VIEWS MAY BE CONTROVERSIAL.
                              I realize that most people here have a preference for soft domes, and I do like the Excel and xt25. But When I listen to live music, particularly with horns, it has a bite that I don't hear with soft domes. My opinion is that ESL's and hard domes, beryllium, titanium, do a better job of reproducing that bite. My Murphy Watts do a fantastic job with Miles. So how about the Seas mag/alu (not sure of the number) or maybe even Focal?

John

Comment

Working...