Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"InDIYana 2009" *Official* Head/Project-Count thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "InDIYana 2009" *Official* Head/Project-Count thread...

If you need to contact me about your attending, and/or a project you will be bringing along, *now* is the time to do so. I have the initial list, and will be posting it at the bottom of this message…. 14 days to go!

As you all know, Brian and I have been setting up this year’s InDIYana event in Shawn’s stead.
    Here is the original headlining thread for those who have not seen it:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh....php?p=1541981

The event has changed in terms of some minute criteria;
    -We are now going to use **six 1 minute tracks** for the demo, and the participant gets 4 minutes. I know heads will roll, but we couldn’t get what we thought was right in just 5 tracks alone. These will be announced at the event and not before.
    -10 minutes of air-time per pair, and 5 minutes *if needed, shorter is possible* to change over to the next pair.
    -The event is also now going to start at **9am sharp E-DST**. I wanted everyone to be a little more awake and attempted a tentative 9:30, but with the response received I have to engage the frenzy at 9am.
    -I have the venue rented for the *entire-day*, do not feel pressed to get your pair played, unless you want to leave at a certain time early. This means that recommencing of listening may continue past door-prize time. Normally these events conclude by 6pm, so we can try for that, but I’m not making any promises. If a pair need not be played, I suppose I would have to make that call. I will personally bow-out before that happens.

The date is in stone on **April 18, 2009**, as stated previously, and there is a Meet/Greet from 5-9pm the night prior in the same conference room, followed by a late-dinner at Applebee’s. (I will contact them day-of M/G to solidify a crowded-seating arrangement if need be.) Venue is still the Comfort Suites stated on the InDIYana 2009 website found here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/indiyana2009/
    Coffee and water will be provided; room is on ground-floor without steps in between there and the entrance.

You should be able to find lodging available through the locations listed on the website. Before I said “most-ritzy to roach-motel”, but the Days Inn also seems pretty nice. It has been redone in the last few years.

Other considerations;
    -Gear consists of, and is not up for debate; Sony BDP-S550 BD/CD player running optical, Surround DAC decoder Pre running unbalanced outs, and QSC 300 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms amplifier. Speaker connections will be bananas, but adapters will be present to allow for spring-clips.
    -Hotel carts for large-speaker transportation are available.
    -My co-host insists on a 5-min break at 10:30am, so I have to oblige.
    -Lunch is at 12-noon, and the Ryan’s buffet seems like a good place a lot of us can enjoy a decent meal. Bring your appetites for pork chops, steak, and such. I will contact Ryan’s for group-seating.
    -I will be allowing Jeff Bagby to speak for a half-hour upon conclusion of the lunch-hour, from 1:00-1:30pm. Bring your thinking caps, and your sheet of questions, as this is a great chance to learn about this hobby we enjoy!!
    -I would wager another 5 minute break about 3pm is in order to reciprocate the first. I hope to be ahead of schedule as the day goes, so this and the other break should not hinder the day’s progression.
    -Eric DeYoung has stated that while his plasma tweeter is cool, and that he might hook it up, he does not require a slot for this project.
    -5pm is door-prize time!!! You must be present and have your name in the drawing to win. I am not strictly allowing project-bearers to enter. If you are there, you have the opportunity, but *one per family* please. If we run out of names, the ‘hat’ will be refilled and some people may get lucky a second time!! We have a decent supply of things to be envied, so I hope everyone receives something.
    -Recommencement of listening will follow the prize-divvying if needed, and revisiting of projects after all are played is indeed an option for further critiquing.

Here is the list of people currently coming *with* projects (updating as time progresses):

. Batwood 1?, Peerless India project
    . Brian Powers 2, "North Seas" and "MYM180" ?
    . critofur 1
    . Dan Neubecker 1, "Basslines"
    . Dirk 0
    . Eric DeYoung 1? maybe nekked "Statement Monitors"
    . Ed Froste 3
    . George (Moosespeaker) Marusek 1, my "4i" simulation of his own interpretation, SF 7" MTM
    . isaeagle 0
    . Jay Kim 1, SB/Vifa 2-way
    . Jeff B. 1.1, "Continuums" AC130F1/RS28 and 12" TC sub
    . mpotoka 2, RS100 MTM and?
    . Paul Carmody 3 sooo many decisions, eh, Paul?
    . Paul Ebert 1, "Trilliums"
    . Paul Kittinger 1, "Marcato" Usher/BG MTM
    . Pete Schumacher 0, bass-traps
    . Robert "Brian" Clark 0
    . Rory (Taterworks) Buszka 0
    . Shawn A 1
    . soundtrek 1, "Rump-Thumper"
    . Tom Bond 1, Linaeum/RS100 TMM
    . Wolf 3, "Canvas", "Scandivifias", and "Vijon" (hopefully)
    . WWWJD? 1? Usher 721 kit

This is currently 28 (plus 2 sub) projects with some uncertainty. I currently have about 54 people on my list of attendees total. Please double check with me if you are not on the list in this post. If any attendee should need any directions, info, etc, please contact me at; shafbm01 *AT* hotmail *DOT* com.

There will be a few surprises as usual, and some familiar/unfamiliar faces. Please come and join the rest of us that enjoy this hobby as much as you do! It’s a feeling like no other, when you can share opinions, ideas, etc with others that understand what you are saying!!

BTW- I posted at the bottom of the thread about directions for those of you uncertain which way to drive in.
    See you all there! =-)
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf; 04-09-2009, 09:41 AM. Reason: more participant/project changes
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: "InDIYana 2009" *Official* Head/Project-Count thread...

April 18th.... I'll check.

NK
    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Originally posted by nick29498141 View Post
      April 18th.... I'll check.

NK
      Bring the Marmott urine and everything will sound golden! Uhm- that would nullify any comparison.... Maybe you should leave it at home....:D
      Hope you make it!
      Wolf
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Hi Ben. I'm still planning to make it. I was thinking of bringing my Continuums again (The LS3/5a inspired speaks) and my new TC Sounds /Oaudio sub. I will have to check with Jim, but since this is fairly close to him, he may come down with something we're working on. Look what happened last time we did that:D I looking forward to Dan's version
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Hi Wolf,

I would really like to make it, but it is a bit too soon. Will see many of the IN/OH/KY contingent at IA I hope.

I hope you will consider one recommendation from this non-attendee. Ask all of the participants to list the music they use. I find that getting exposed to lots of music I am not familiar with is one of the great benefits of the events. I find I almost always like the tastes in music.

Maynard

Comment

Hey Wolf, I would love to make it too. You can put me down as a maybe and if I am able to make it I hope to have a pair built with the Peerless India speakers that I bought. If we blow them up thats okay since they were cheap. It would be a day of run for me so I wouldn't be there by 9. Hope to be there. Brian

Comment

Re: One suggestion, Wolf...

The two 5-minute breaks, one in the AM and the other in the PM, probably ought to be 10 minutes each, IMO. While anyone and everyone that's not either presenting their speakers or "running the show" can take a break whenever needed, it might be good for everyone to rest their ears if nothing else. It's just a suggestion. See you there.
              Paul
              p.s. You mentioned the dinner Friday night would be a late-night gathering. How late are you thinking? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd not like to go to eat past 7 PM, would prefer something closer to 6 PM if I had my druthers (this is just one of those aging and "stuck in your ways" issues).

Comment

Wolf,

I am sorry to say this but please take me off the list.
                With my recent change in employment I don't have the funds or the vacation to attend

You guys have a good time and post lots of pictures.

Doug
                http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Robert Bantly's slot - my ZRT's are wonderful, best thing I have ever built, but due to the current shipyard excursion, I haven't had the time to become 100% comfortable with the cabinet tuning. I want to show them, but I want them to be heard right as they were intended. With my travel and unreadiness, I have to let my slot go

Cheers / Robert

Comment

Though I don't have a project to participate with, I will be in attendance and can hardly wait!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'll see you on the 18th!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        Hi Ben. I'm still planning to make it. I was thinking of bringing my Continuums again (The LS3/5a inspired speaks) and my new TC Sounds /Oaudio sub. I will have to check with Jim, but since this is fairly close to him, he may come down with something we're working on. Look what happened last time we did that:D I looking forward to Dan's version
                        That would be fine!
                        CU there!
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                          Hi Wolf,

I would really like to make it, but it is a bit too soon. Will see many of the IN/OH/KY contingent at IA I hope.

I hope you will consider one recommendation from this non-attendee. Ask all of the participants to list the music they use. I find that getting exposed to lots of music I am not familiar with is one of the great benefits of the events. I find I almost always like the tastes in music.

Maynard
                          I can have someone write them all down.
                          Later, and thanks,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by batwood View Post
                            Hey Wolf, I would love to make it too. You can put me down as a maybe and if I am able to make it I hope to have a pair built with the Peerless India speakers that I bought. If we blow them up thats okay since they were cheap. It would be a day of run for me so I wouldn't be there by 9. Hope to be there. Brian
                            I'll add a project to the list!
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Re: One suggestion, Wolf...

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              The two 5-minute breaks, one in the AM and the other in the PM, probably ought to be 10 minutes each, IMO. While anyone and everyone that's not either presenting their speakers or "running the show" can take a break whenever needed, it might be good for everyone to rest their ears if nothing else. It's just a suggestion. See you there.
                              Paul
                              p.s. You mentioned the dinner Friday night would be a late-night gathering. How late are you thinking? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd not like to go to eat past 7 PM, would prefer something closer to 6 PM if I had my druthers (this is just one of those aging and "stuck in your ways" issues).
                              I can't allow much more time than 5 minutes to keep going.

It depends on when someone wants to eat. I would have to leave word for anyone else coming in late at the counter,
                              Wolf
                              Last edited by Wolf; 03-14-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: posted before adding everything

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X