BaSSlines Complete/published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BaSSlines Complete/published

They are finally complete! Below are the final details for the BaSSlines design. I'm extremely pleased with the results, which I believe are my best effort so far. The attached files may not be as readable as desired, however, there is more detail availabe in the main thread here:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...13#post1548113

and also in a thread over at HTGuide here:
    http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=29988

and in my PE Album, here:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=1049

Included below is the crossover schematic, the simulted frequency response, the simulated polar response from 500-3500 in 500hz increments, the parts list (using all PE available crossover parts) and cost estimate for the pair, not including the lexan, the hardwood, mdf or veneer and finishing supplies and a photo in our main room.
    Attached Files
    Dan N.

Re: BaSSlines Complete/published

I'm disappointed I'll never get to hear them unless someone close by builds a set. Your imagination when it come to the design and execution is fantastic. You have my respect and you're the object of my jealousy. ;)

I know someone is going to ask, so I'll do the leg work:
    Woofer is a TD12H from AE Speakers.
    Mid is the B&C 6MD38 which was measured by Zaph {scroll down for comments or click thru to the measurements}.
    Tweeter is the Peerless HDS 810921 which is also measured by Zaph.

For those who can read the fine print, cost when he pulled the BOM was $1150.
    - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
    www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
      They are finally complete! Below are the final details for the BaSSlines design. I'm extremely pleased with the results, which I believe are my best effort so far. The attached files may not be as readable as desired, however, there is more detail availabe in the main thread here:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...13#post1548113

and also in a thread over at HTGuide here:
      http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=29988

and in my PE Album, here:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=1049

Included below is the crossover schematic, the simulted frequency response, the simulated polar response from 500-3500 in 500hz increments, the parts list (using all PE available crossover parts) and cost estimate for the pair, not including the lexan, the hardwood, mdf or veneer and finishing supplies and a photo in our main room.
      Nice job Dan. I only have one complaint about them, they look just like all of your other designs.... amazingly beautiful!!!! (I envy your woodworking skills)

Since you are familiar with omni designs, have you noticed any obvious differences with the dipole design in comparison if you can somehow eliminate the effects of the differences in drivers? I'm just curious about the pros/cons of omnis versus dipoles and I suspect most of the differences would be in the imaging/soundstage category but I would also suspect that crossover tuning strategy might be slightly different due to the different radiation patterns and phase issues.
      RJB Audio Projects
      http://www.rjbaudio.com

Comment

Beautiful work!

congratulations, stud ! Dan, those were sounding great at Lex, and I bet they are even better now. I would love to shoot those for you sometime, it would be a privilege to see and hear - nice work friend.
        When you run make sure you run,
        to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

Dan, Like always your skill with the wood working inspires me. Maybe this summer I'll have a chance to build some stuff that can stand just a little out of the shadow of your skill
          Oddly most of it will not be speakers, my to do list in wood working from the wife is rather long (matching bed sands, computer desk for myself and her, and if i have time. Two chez lounge chairs for the living room)

I already have most of the end tables designed in my head, I just need to find all the stuff for them. It's going to be a mix of hard wood meets ultra modern. As for the desk. I'm pondering doing wood inlays. Got any tips?

keep up the amazing work

Rene
          If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks, It needed replacing any ways

Comment

Originally posted by HareBrained View Post
            I'm disappointed I'll never get to hear them unless someone close by builds a set. Your imagination when it come to the design and execution is fantastic. You have my respect and you're the object of my jealousy. ;)

I know someone is going to ask, so I'll do the leg work:
            Woofer is a TD12H from AE Speakers.
            Mid is the B&C 6MD38 which was measured by Zaph {scroll down for comments or click thru to the measurements}.
            Tweeter is the Peerless HDS 810921 which is also measured by Zaph.

For those who can read the fine print, cost when he pulled the BOM was $1150.
            Thanks, John! You never know. I have a couple guys who say they are building them, but I don't recall where they are from. One guy is for sure, because I've been answering tons of consrtuction questions and he has ordered the drivers and parts.
            Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by romanbednarek View Post
              Nice job Dan. I only have one complaint about them, they look just like all of your other designs.... amazingly beautiful!!!! (I envy your woodworking skills)

Since you are familiar with omni designs, have you noticed any obvious differences with the dipole design in comparison if you can somehow eliminate the effects of the differences in drivers? I'm just curious about the pros/cons of omnis versus dipoles and I suspect most of the differences would be in the imaging/soundstage category but I would also suspect that crossover tuning strategy might be slightly different due to the different radiation patterns and phase issues.
              Thanks Roman! I don't know if my woodworking skills are that great or it is just that I'm very patient.:rolleyes:

I noticed immediately that the radiated energy into the room is different. They both need to be placed away from the walls and have a similar large and deep soundstage. The open baffle has a more focused imaging the omnis a little bigger and taller sounding. Interestingly, I have not really had to pad down the midrange in the omni designs where with the open baffle midrange, it really needed it to sound balanced in room. I'd have to set up a side by side comparison between these and my HOSS Design to identify any other differences. Otherwise, it is very hard to compare, since the drivers are so different. These are my best sounding speakers so far, IMO.
              Dan N.

Comment

Re: Beautiful work!

Originally posted by biff View Post
                congratulations, stud ! Dan, those were sounding great at Lex, and I bet they are even better now. I would love to shoot those for you sometime, it would be a privilege to see and hear - nice work friend.
                I'd love to have you shoot them! They will be at the inDIYana event, but I don't imagine the decor and lighting would be the optimum venue for that.
                Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  Dan, Like always your skill with the wood working inspires me. Maybe this summer I'll have a chance to build some stuff that can stand just a little out of the shadow of your skill
                  Oddly most of it will not be speakers, my to do list in wood working from the wife is rather long (matching bed sands, computer desk for myself and her, and if i have time. Two chez lounge chairs for the living room)

I already have most of the end tables designed in my head, I just need to find all the stuff for them. It's going to be a mix of hard wood meets ultra modern. As for the desk. I'm pondering doing wood inlays. Got any tips?

keep up the amazing work

Rene
                  Thanks Rene! It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. As far as tips, all I can think of is to take your time, don't be in a rush, think every step out before you do it, and have lots of patience! I always prefer the look of natural wood in terms of inlays, so I would say pick woods that look good together in their natural state and don't stain or dye them, just use a clear finish.

Good luck!
                  Dan N.

Comment

Re: They're really great

I had the good fortune to see and hear the BaSSlines at Dan's house 4-5 weeks ago. They didn't have their final finish coats yet but they looked pretty good then. The best part of their performance was that the dynamics seemed completely unlimited. We played a variety of music at pretty loud levels and they just loafed along begging for more than our ears would be able to stand.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                      I had the good fortune to see and hear the BaSSlines at Dan's house 4-5 weeks ago. They didn't have their final finish coats yet but they looked pretty good then. The best part of their performance was that the dynamics seemed completely unlimited. We played a variety of music at pretty loud levels and they just loafed along begging for more than our ears would be able to stand.
                      Paul
                      Such is the beauty of a High-Sensitivity design!!

Dan- I look forward to hearing them in a few weeks,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Such is the beauty of a High-Sensitivity design!!

Dan- I look forward to hearing them in a few weeks,
                        Wolf
                        Thanks Wolf, I'm looking forward to the event and hearing your entries.
                        Dan N.

Comment

Dan,

Awesome looking speakers, as usual! I'm really impressed. So impressed, that I wanted to ask how you got such a high gloss finish! ;) I believe I've seen you mention it in the past, but was wondering if you'd be willing to share with us again.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                            Thanks Wolf, I'm looking forward to the event and hearing your entries.
                            Hate to tell you, but 2 will be repeats for you. I hope to have Vijon finished, so you can look forward to that one. I'm bringing the Scans and the Canvas as well.

Friday night though, I'll have the Sophomores again (painted?), and maybe the Sir Audinums and Mn-14's if Mark65 makes it out here. I don't want to bore the enire crowd with repeats, but you are one of a few that have heard most of my stuff. This event will have a lot of new faces and people, I assure you!
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Dan:

Very, very nice. I appreciate all the information you have assembled. Do you have, or wil you be posting, any drawings that show final dimensions, port size, etc..?

Thanks.

Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X