OT: Go give your loved ones a hug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Go give your loved ones a hug.

I received some bad news this morning that my 13 year old Chocolate Lab, Beau Beau, has terminal cancer. Looking at him you wouldn't think he was in such dire condition. Still has his bright eyes and eager-to-please look to him. He started coughing up some ugly brownish phlegm a couple of weeks ago so I figured he better go in for a check. Well the x-rays showed the shadow of a tumor in his right lung and it has metastasized to some smaller places in his left lung. In short, he's got a month or two of quality life left to him. I'm devastated to say the least. He's been my buddy for almost 11 years so he's a big part of my life. He'll be the sixth dog I've had to go through this with but it's never easy.

There's a lot of animal people on here and I just wanted to ask all of you to go give your loved ones, two or four legged, an extra hug today. They'll appreciate it.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Re: OT: Go give your loved ones a hug.

This is my boy Bucky. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/al...pictureid=1380

My son's dog when he was growing up. He left us last summer after 16 years. Just wore out.

Yes, it is very sad.

Comment

Shawn,

sorry to hear about Beau Beau, it has got to be very hard.

We lost our all-black cat Elvis 2 years ago and that wasn't easy. We replaced him with Daisy, a black lab mix from a rescue shelter. She's easy to train, extremely patient and very loyal. Basically, you can't ask more of a dog. When she goes, we will be destroyed, but hopefully that will be many years away.

Attached Files

Comment

I've got an old fella who turns 17 in a couple of weeks. (Benny) I know everything from here on is really a bonus and dread the day I have to make that decision.

You have my sympathy.

Comment

Shawn,

Sorry to hear about your pooch. i know how attached you are.
          DP

Comment

Shawn,

Sorry to hear the sad news. I am an animal person myself and could not image losing one of what my better half and I call our kids. My heart and prayers go out to you and your loved ones. Thank you for the great advice. We sometimes forget the little things in life and the things we are blessed with until we are reminded of so.

Stevie

Comment

I'm sorry to hear, we lost our favorite member of the family, Arrow, last year from cancer too. Although he was pretty much perfectly healthy when all of a sudden he just got really sick and we took him to the vet and she said that we could put him on some medication that might give him another month or two, but he just wasn't doing well so he was euthanized in order to stop his suffering... it was so sad.
              On a lighter note, here's a picture! May we always remember our pets.

Comment

Very sad to hear, Shawn. We lost our black lab/shephard mix, Blackie, about 7 years ago due to old age (~17 years), and we've lost numerous cats over the years. A lab or lab mix has got to be one of the best possible dogs to have; they just are always so good-natured and love to be with their peoples. Right now our older cat, Linus, is begging to come in here with me, but I have to first pick up all the photos I just printed out which are laying on the floor. I know you will be hugging Beau Beau a whole bunch more during the next few months.
                Paul

Comment

Sorry to hear that Shawn. My guy is about there as well; he's 13 and the last member of his litter still alive. He's my forever buddy and it will be tough to let him go, but that day isn't far away now....you have my sympathies.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
                    We receneltly lost our 13-year old shar pei to liver cancer. this picture was taken just two days before she passed... superbowl sunday

Fortunately, our other dogs are doing well and we can only hope they stick around for a long long time.

Freckles is a 2yr old Labrador border collie mix

Magie is a 5yr old dalmation
                    and Kess is the 8yr old Beagle

Comment

Shawn, as you know, I am a lab person too. Tough times ahead, for sure.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Sorry to learn of this Shawn. Nothing heals better than a warm puppy!! Our 12yr old Rotty passed a couple of years ago, just got old and could not get up any more. That was a tough evening. His place has been taken by a great little girl Rott, Chloe. Here is something that helped us, I hope that it will help you also.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Comment

Yeah, it's rough. My old Priscilla kitty died last October. She was almost 20, and had never been sick a day in her life, until the last 3 days when she just kind of shut down. Maine coon cats are an exceptionally hardy breed.

Caspian (a Russian blue/ longhair mix) is 13, and the vet just told me Saturday that the sores in his mouth (from compulsive fur-licking due to allergies) might become cancerous. We've got him back on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, which helped clear up the itching, licking, and sores in the past, and can only hope for the best. He's getting up there in years, and all I can do is keep him as comfortable as possible and cherish every moment I have left with him.

Comment

Shawn, I am so very sorry. That rainbow bridge link that 1MOR put up is what an old girlfriend of mine gave me when I had to have my cat Bozlie put to sleep in 2006 because of an incureable illness. Hearing it now still gets me all choked up. I can't even watch that ASPCA commercial with Sarah Maclachlan and all the poor little cats and dogs. I'm a tough sob, but that stuff just breaks me in two. Much empathy from your rat-bro. Since others put up some pics of their loved ones, here's my little Bozlie in one of his favorite spots, on the seat of my motorcycle whenever I was working in the shop:

John A.
                            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                            Pioneer TX-9500 II
                            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                            Statement Monitors
                            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
                              I received some bad news this morning that my 13 year old Chocolate Lab, Beau Beau, has terminal cancer. Looking at him you wouldn't think he was in such dire condition. Still has his bright eyes and eager-to-please look to him. He started coughing up some ugly brownish phlegm a couple of weeks ago so I figured he better go in for a check. Well the x-rays showed the shadow of a tumor in his right lung and it has metastasized to some smaller places in his left lung. In short, he's got a month or two of quality life left to him. I'm devastated to say the least. He's been my buddy for almost 11 years so he's a big part of my life. He'll be the sixth dog I've had to go through this with but it's never easy.

There's a lot of animal people on here and I just wanted to ask all of you to go give your loved ones, two or four legged, an extra hug today. They'll appreciate it.

shawn
                              My little fluff-zilla is getting up there too, Buddy! He's got a broken tooth, allergies, and can't always keep things down. He's about 16 yrs old now, so it could be anytime I suppose. I'll need a new "radar-listener" when he goes....
                              Sorry for your news...
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X