Crushing Crossovers.... (angry face)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crushing Crossovers.... (angry face)

While posting on another thread... I had a thought. One that made me do the whole 'forehead slap' and the exclamatory "son of a... I shoulda... ".

Since I became a panel builder and a general fixer of electrical doobies.. I've had a bad/good habit of making things as small and as practical as I could, without being a nuisance for someone or myself down the road. And I had a moment regarding crossover layouts, and the lack thereof of what I've just doodled down here..

This is the first crossover that I'd ever built for the Usher project...

...and it was good. I just built another one two days ago for my center. Why not go vertical with components? Eh?

For larger speakers... who cares? But for guys trying to squeeze networks into table tops or satellites, this could be a good thing. How come I've never seen anyone do this? It's a solid 50% reduction in footprint.. granted the thing gets taller... but this is more of a box.. and less of a platter. I could see it being a soldering challenge, maybe.

Just throwing that out there. Wondering "why not?".
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Re: Crushing Crossovers.... (angry face)

I like that idea where required! The more standard layout is probably a bit simpler to wire.

It is always a challenge to accurately transfer a circuit on paper to real world wire and solder with out error, and this may add just a tad more opportunity for confusion, but triple checking the assembly should compensate for that.

Marv

Comment

I've thought about that but I guess that I use the resistors and caps on the layout to space out the inductors a bit so that there is less of a possibility of interference between them. The other thing is that I'm not in the habit of extending component leads and for the most part don't have to add too much extra wire to the layout with them laying flat on the board.
      RJB Audio Projects
      http://www.rjbaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
        While posting on another thread... I had a thought. One that made me do the whole 'forehead slap' and the exclamatory "son of a... I shoulda... ".

Since I became a panel builder and a general fixer of electrical doobies.. I've had a bad/good habit of making things as small and as practical as I could, without being a nuisance for someone or myself down the road. And I had a moment regarding crossover layouts, and the lack thereof of what I've just doodled down here..

This is the first crossover that I'd ever built for the Usher project...

...and it was good. I just built another one two days ago for my center. Why not go vertical with components? Eh?

For larger speakers... who cares? But for guys trying to squeeze networks into table tops or satellites, this could be a good thing. How come I've never seen anyone do this? It's a solid 50% reduction in footprint.. granted the thing gets taller... but this is more of a box.. and less of a platter. I could see it being a soldering challenge, maybe.

Just throwing that out there. Wondering "why not?".
        I *sorta* did that with the "Propensity" xover I'm working on. It's mounted inside the cabinet with components all vertical like your drawing there. However, the components are mounted conventionally to the board and on both sides, meaning the board is also vertical to mount in a slot in the cabinet. It is my second most "densely packed" xover thus far. The most is in the Xenums, and that is self-explanatory....

I don't have pics posted yet, but I can do that soon....
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
        X