Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shotgun Willie sat around at InDIYana 2009.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Willie sat around at InDIYana 2009.....

...Alright, I had to get just one more in there!! I admit, "Shotgun Willie" was not the best track on the disc, but that was its purpose.

I would like to thank all that attended, all the vendors that donated prizes, and all that presented projects. I do believe this went off without much of a hitch. Man- what a long day!

I hope everyone wrote down what they keiffed from the prize-table, what songs they presented with their projects, and any comments deemed necessary. I/Brian will be trying to compile the data into something more simple for reference in the near future.

I know we had *at least* 40 people present, and that's 35 in-room with some external attendees. I apologize for the close-quarters, as I wasn't entirely sure how cramped we'd be. I think we made do with as much as was present. The fact that 3 tables were full of goodies, both underneath and on top, was astounding to me. Some went home with 3-4 items.

I would also like to thank Brian for co-hosting, Shawn for the burns, and my wife and immediate family for tolerating me over the last 4 months of intense music-deliniation, preparations, and all-out/non-stop chatter from my jaws about speakers. Thank you all for allowing my first attempt at throwing a DIY event to be a stupendous success! You also require a clap or two for the work in your entries. For those of you who were unable to attend, I'm sure you would've had some fun here in the "Classic City".

I'll post more when I've rested.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: Shotgun Willie sat around at InDIYana 2009.....

Here are a few photos from the event. I managed to squeeze these out amidst the camera trouble.

http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...rs27/InDIYana/

Comment

Brian - Wolf,
      I'm glad it went well for you guys and I am sorry I couldn't make it. I think you will agree that all in all the work is well worth it.
      Doug
      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Looks like some great projects this year. Congratulations to all you guys. Who built the Avalon-looking facetted speakers? That looks like some really impressive craftsmanship!

Best,

JML

Comment

Both of you guys did a great job! It was very well organized and went off without a hitch (well other than a certain someone's speaker problems;)).

The level of speaker quality seems to go up every year. Everyone seems to turn it up a notch each time out.

Jeff, your session was very entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot. It was a very nice break from the auditioning schedule.

The non-competition type event is the format I personally find most enjoyable and I hope it is kept this way in the future.
          Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
            Who built the Avalon-looking facetted speakers? That looks like some really impressive craftsmanship!
            Paul Ebert, who told us that those were his first speakers. Not only that, but those angles were cut with a hand saw. No easy feat when your baffle is 3" thick. :D
            nothing can stop me now

Comment

Wolf & Brian - Great originization. Everything went smooooothly!!!

Please see my TM1A post.

George
              "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Comment

Re: Yep, a very successful event

Thanks to Wolf and Brian for the hard work in preparing and running the event. Everything went pretty smoothly in spite of some drawbacks from the room itself.
                Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Wasn't it a hotel conference room (similar to Dayton?). What were some of the issues?

cheers,

AJ

Comment

I don't want to unnecessarily over-emphasize the room issues, but it was square, causing a bit of a boom sometimes depending on the specific speakers being played, only one of the two air conditioners was working, so the room got kinda warm, and it was a bit crowded, which with the good turnout we had, made the room a bit warmer yet. The room issues were not big, just a bit annoying (the room didn't seem to bother my speakers) and the event was quite enjoyable.
                    Paul

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                    Hi Paul,

Wasn't it a hotel conference room (similar to Dayton?). What were some of the issues?

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Wolf and BrianP......Thank you for doing your thing with this event, and doing it well......Being my first attendance at a gig like this, I went home with a great deal of joy, and a huge impression of all of the creativity I witnessed....You guys all made me feel welcome and provided goalposts for me on my current project.......I look forward to other events like this......Respectfully.....Omni

Comment

Yup, I'll agree with everything that has been said! I loved it as my first DIY event, and loved getting to put some faces with names of people here! Had a couple great meals too Thanks Wolf and Brian for the great planning!

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                          Hi Paul,

cheers,

AJ
                          35'x35'x10' hotel conference room.

Issues:
                          • Standard widow unit hotel type ac. (Noise, capacity, etc.)
                          • A little warm
                          • Large turnout
                          • Too many prizes
                          • On my third pair of speakers (North Seas) my twisted wire connection came loose internally. I took them home today and soldered them. No damage, just loose wires! (:
                          • Permanent Hearing damage (>100db)

I was very happy with it. Everyone was friendly and we had tons of help.

Comment

Eh, according to OSHA standards, 105db for a whole hour is permissible :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                              35'x35'x10' hotel conference room.

Issues:
                              • Standard widow unit hotel type ac. (Noise, capacity, etc.)
                              • A little warm
                              • Large turnout
                              • Too many prizes
                              • On my third pair of speakers (North Seas) my twisted wire connection came loose internally. I took them home today and soldered them. No damage, just loose wires! (:
                              • Permanent Hearing damage (>100db)

I was very happy with it. Everyone was friendly and we had tons of help.
                              Glad to hear the tweeter survived that nasty hash. I feared it was permanently game over for that right-hand tweet.

I've got a pretty low threshold for pain, hearing-wise. Only a few times did I feel like it was overmuch (ieee, that Motley Crue was one of them). It's amazing how loud you can play things when there's a gob of clean power feeding a nice low-distortion pair. My ears felt more baked from the 7-hour drive than they did from anything we played.
                              nothing can stop me now

Comment

Working...
                              X