No announcement yet.

Stereo imaging from center channel box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo imaging from center channel box?

This system (pricey) claims to give a good soundstage from six drivers in a single enclosure with no sweet spot limitations. I like that idea, but don't know how well they pull it off. Has anyone seen/heard these?

Maybe they are another Bose wannabe.

I guess they would have their own placement issues under a TV panel:(

Marvin

http://www.amazon.com/GenevaSound-St...9520_as_img_9/

Re: Stereo imaging from center channel box?

It looks like it could work. It definitely wouldn't work well under a TV. They are most likely firing some of the speakers toward the rear. If you are looking for a true center channel, this doesn't look like a good fit.

Comment

sounds like two 3 ways set into one main cabinet with some signal processing similar to the "hall effect" commonly found on HT recievers to give the illusion of a wider placement and more speakers.

at the end of the day they can alter the signal all they want but once the waves leave the front baffle they are up against all the same issues as any other loudspeaker.

Could they create a sweet spot in every location of the room... highly doubtful. Personally I do not care much for the faked effects commonly used to do this. But they can definitely give the illusion of wider soundstage. Sounds like "marketing" speak.

I suspect they sound good but it is doubtful they accurately reporduce the soundstage of a well placed pair of stereo loudspeakers.
      Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
      If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

for only $1,499 you can have one too. Includes 600 watt integrated amp, cd player and Ipod Dock. Looks like it should be selling at Ikea or Sharper Image;)

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
          for only $1,499 you can have one too. Includes 600 watt integrated amp, cd player and Ipod Dock. Looks like it should be selling at Ikea or Sharper Image;)
          I am sure there is a target market for this product that would find it appealing. My Wife for sure would like it and probably only complain as why it could not be smaller.

Most people don't listen to music with the expectation of hearing a soundstage much less know what imaging is. My Wife chooses to set about 25 degrees off axis when we watch movies. I have suggested to her that she should sit on axis where we have a nice large couch so she can get the full auditory epxerience. She just says she likes her chair and she can hear it just fine. In other words she simply does not care and as long as she can understand and hear what is being said she is quite happy.

For what they are giving you the price is not "out of sight" and would appeal to those who prefer to hear sound not see speakers. What the heck maybe they have invented some new pre processing that does what they say... although I would be highly skeptical.

But for a typical open floor plan family room where you want sound for background listening in the family room, kitchen etc... and to watch a bit of TV from time to time it would be a good choice for those less finicky listeners.
          Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
          If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

There is no doubt that the format holds appeal. THey make it super simple. All in one with gobs of power. I marvel at the design and pricetag! There is no doubt that this will be a moneymaker.

Comment

My only interest in these is the compact package and the claim for good imaging.

Personally, I prefer the standard stereo placement of two speakers with no processing, but recently I have experimented a little with mine because of a low frequency bump in my room. Moving the speakers another foot from the front wall seems to cancel it and get back to a more normal curve. I also feel the imaging from the "sweet spot" is better with the speakers positioned straight, rather than toed in. But when listening from the "guest" chair off to the right, then the right speaker dominates and the good sound in the sweet spot is not there.

Maybe I need open backs or baffles. Statements?;)

Marvin

Comment

Working...
              X