Plexiglass Question??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass Question??

Anyone here ever worked with plexiglass? Mainly, is there anyway ventilations slots can routed in this stuff without it melting, cracking, chipping, etc. Cutting pieces to length is not a problem, its doing more finer stuff, i'm concerned with?

Re: Plexiglass Question??

I routed a 3/4" slab as a baffle...two holes..one for the woofer and the other for the waveguide/tweeter. I froze it for 24hrs before and used the slowest speed on the router...worked fine for me wiping the surface wih a wet sponge as i went. I'm not sue or the difference in plastics but i used cell cast acrylic if that helps.

Comment

I think you will find polycarbonate, or Lexan easier to work with. I used it on my BaSSlines project. You can see the results of the baffle cutting, etc. here:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...13#post1548113
      Dan N.

Comment

Plexiglas is very prone to cracking at holes if they are not radiused, and you use that hole to screw it down, applying stress. any sharp edges should be smoothed. I have installed many aircraft windshields, and have not cracked one yet. It will melt if you get it hot while machining. It also will chip when drilling holes. The best way I have found for drilling holes is to drill undersize, and use a unibit in a cordless drill at slow speed to enlarge. The next step on the unibit puts a nice chamfer on the hole edge.

I have never used a router on the stuff. Buy some and practice.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
          I think you will find polycarbonate, or Lexan easier to work with. I used it on my BaSSlines project. You can see the results of the baffle cutting, etc. here:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...13#post1548113
          Thank You for the pointer's and THAT IS a GORGEOUS set of speakers!

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your input's!

Comment

These used plexiglass. Go slow. Allow the bit to cool between runs, a hot bit will melt the plexiglass and cause clouding at the edge of the cut.

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Wow. Those are impressive. Any more info on them? Seas mid/woofer is obvious.. what are you using in the h-frame and what tweeter? Active or passive x-over?
                Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                These used plexiglass. Go slow. Allow the bit to cool between runs, a hot bit will melt the plexiglass and cause clouding at the edge of the cut.

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Originally posted by dubbreak View Post
                  Wow. Those are impressive. Any more info on them? Seas mid/woofer is obvious.. what are you using in the h-frame and what tweeter? Active or passive x-over?
                  from what i can tell from the name of the pic and drivers it is this.
                  http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post
                    from what i can tell from the name of the pic and drivers it is this.
                    http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm
                    Good call, it does look like the orion but with the tweeter horn loaded.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer and they look very nice!

Comment

Any more info on them?
                        That was 5yrs ago. No longer in the lineup.
                        what are you using in the h-frame...what tweeter?...Active or passive x-over?
                        Speed demon XLS12's...XT-19...DSP.

Plexiglass does scratch easily, as well as cloud, so take care. Never worked with Lexan, but it's supposed to be quite durable. Cutting OTOH...

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Where can Lexan be purchased? Whats it's cost compared to Plexiglass?

Comment

Here is where I got my polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand name) for the BaSSlines. It was $66 plus shipping for a 1/2" x 24" x 24 piece.
                            http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...inchthick.html
                            Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                              Here is where I got my polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand name) for the BaSSlines. It was $66 plus shipping for a 1/2" x 24" x 24 piece.
                              http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...inchthick.html
                              Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                              X