End table subwoofer update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End table subwoofer update.

Here she blows. An old end table I picked up at an estate sale, veneered over the sides with pommelle sapel, tore out the drawers, made an mdf inner shell, glued the drawer fronts back in after veneering with maple burl, reveneered the top with maple burl, installed a solid cherry back rail on top, sanded down the legs and drawer supports and got one coat of wipe on poly tonight. 8" downward firing woofer with plate amp on the back (not installed yet. Glued in the drawer pulls (this will freak someone out). May or may not have high SAF but at least I tried.

Re: End table subwoofer update.

Gonna try to sneak it in the bedroom? :eek: :D

Comment

That's sexy. Any dimensions for reference? From staring at it I would say that it looks to be close to 4 cubes. If that's the case jam a bigger woofer in there

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. Size wise I can only get an 8" woofer in the bottom. I've got about 1.3cf inside. Dimensions are about 17" deep by 16" wide as I recall. Here's a photo of the bottom.

I don't think this will go in our bedroom. Strange but none of my speakers seem to end up in my house! Except upstairs where the wife doesn't see them! Someone usually ends up buying them. I've got two other antique cabinets waiting in the wings (1948 Philco TV cabinet and Wards Airline radio cabinet). They are much bigger and will probably go with 12's in those.

Comment

I think my wife would dig that. It would be even better for her SAF if the top drawer worked.

Comment

I would definitely go for that. If she doesn't like it, you can bring it over here. It looks beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
              I think my wife would dig that. It would be even better for her SAF if the top drawer worked.
              I'm sure the displacement is much better used for the sub than for storing stuff. :D
              nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                I'm sure the displacement is much better used for the sub than for storing stuff. :D
                It's a psychological thing. SHe would feel less like this was mine and more like it was hers if it worked this way.

Comment

was that brians wife?
                  that is b e a u t i f u l !
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. You could install the top of the inner shell just below the top drawer and use ball bearing guides and probably get away with it. Might have some rattle at high spl. Heck, this gives me a chance to try out the veneer I purchased. The 1948 Philco radio cabinet will probably be my next victim!!!! It's much larger and older. Then the Ward's Airline Radio cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                      First thing my wife asked when she looked at it do any of the drawers work?
                      How about this to mod the top drawer?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21887

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=58

Comment

This could be a good way to do multi subs. Multiple subs deal with room interaction better than a single sub, so if you went with several "end tables" each with 1 working drawer and a driver.....

Comment

Good thinking guys. The combinations are endless!!!! Probably don't want to put loose change or paper clips in there when you crank it. I may try that in my next project. Someone suggested installing a volume control in the old holes on the Philco radio that would control the sub amp. Anyone know how to rig that????? If not then I may install fake knobs.

Comment

I hope you ran that thru the "Antiques Roadshow" before you cut the guts out of it.;)

Comment

Sub is finished. Here's some photos. Heck, the wife actually let me bring it inside to test!!! She even asked what kind of wood was on top!!!!

My son will take it back to college for their small HT room. Turned out well. I didn't have to secure the drawer pulls (which don't pull). The front of the cabinet is 2.25" thick (3 layers).

Comment

Working...
                              X