Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next speaker design, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contemplating my next speaker design, what do you think?

Originally posted by ttan98 View Post
    Dan,

Except for the tweeter you may like to consider building a open baffle throughout, ie the woofer mounted in either U or H frame. use twin 12" or 15" woofer to give you the bass response.BTW Nelson seems to get good results from Eminence Beta 12 in or 15 in on OB.

You will find the open baffle bass is very different to transmission line bass, it depends on your taste of course..

cheers.
    Nice suggestion, but Dan only has budget for drivers on hand, the RS180s, MDM55 and a choice of small, but very good, tweeters.

Dan's done a couple of open baffle designs. Check out his thread on the BASSLINES for his latest effort. Nice, high sensitivity design too, something you'd like.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
      Personally, I'd like to see someone tackle a 'Walsh' type system and Dan would be just the man to pull it off! But Alas, none of your in stock drivers have an open enough basket. Oh well......i could only hope! I just ordered a pair of Peerless 8" HDS woofers to give it a try and was gonna start pulling your shirt once i had them in hand. I hope i can still count on you once this gets underway anyways.

Doing a walsh is much more involved than simply inverting a regular cone woofer. The principle is different than a conventional dynamic driver.

If I recall correctly, the walsh motor causes a wavefront to propogate from the top of the cone to the bottom. The speed of sound in the diaphragm and its angle allow the sound emitted at the top of the driver and the bottom to leave in phase across the spectrum, for a cylindrical emission pattern.

Nice woofers!!!
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Guys,

A Duelund alignment is a possibility, but I'm not sure that I see the Morel as a filler driver, or that the RS180/22tafg are the ideal drivers to anchor each end. I believe I've seen the MDM55 used from around 700 up to 5000hz or so successfully, so it seems counterintuitive to reduce its bandwith and contribution by making it a filler. We also know that the RS180 is limited on the top end and the 22tafg on the low end, so I'm not sure about doing a design where these two are only 12db down at their crossover points.

Do you disagree?
        Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
          Personally, I'd like to see someone tackle a 'Walsh' type system and Dan would be just the man to pull it off! But Alas, none of your in stock drivers have an open enough basket. Oh well......i could only hope! I just ordered a pair of Peerless 8" HDS woofers to give it a try and was gonna start pulling your shirt once i had them in hand. I hope i can still count on you once this gets underway anyways.

I'll help in any way I can!
          Dan N.

Comment

You know Paul, I start each design saying I to myself "I'm going to keep this one simpler and easier to build" and I always have ended up with something more complex.

I must resist the temptation this time!;)
            Dan N.

Comment

Hi Ed,

I think this driver combination has very good potential. The design is a bit unorthodox with its "low center of gravity" but that is what I was going for. The deep front to back dimension also forces the drivers out from the wall, which as we know will make them sound better anyway.

I draw everthing up in cad and use an arc that defines a 12' listening position, 37" high to line up the approximate acoustic centers of the drivers, so I'm pretty confindent that this slope is reasonably close. My goal is simply to get a little closer to time alignment to make the crossover and phase tracking easier to do.

I also like the look of a sloped baffle. It has a dynamic look the vertical baffles seem to lack.
              Dan N.

Comment

Hi Marvin,

As I said to Ed, I like the dynamic look of a sloped baffle. It also is needed to get the drivers closer to being naturally time aligned. Thanks for the ideas!
                Dan N.

Comment

You do have a knack for flair, I'll say that!

How about running that RS180 Omni Style? Below 800Hz, its heading to omni territory anyway. Mount that small TM baffle above the woofer like you did in the HOSS.

Just a thought.

I'm sure it's going to sound great, as your efforts usually do.
                  I could do that, but I've done about 5 different omni designs (to varying degrees) and I want to try something I haven't done before, a process I started with the BaSSlines by using Pro drivers and an open baffle/dipole mid.
                  Dan N.

Comment

Looking good Dan, you just don't stop do you! I like the design concept, I have several sketches that eerily resemble different parts of both looks. Good luck with your new project.
                    "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks. How is the Satori coming along? Are you prepared to dazzle us at Dayton?
                      Dan N.

Comment

Additional concepts, what do you think?

Ok, lets up the ante for the fun of it and add more fodder for discussion. These are drivers I have on the shelf that I can work with:

2- RS28AS-4 tweeters and a third that needs a new VC
                        2- Vifa Logic AC25SG05-04 tweeters
                        2- Seas 22TAFG tweeters
                        2- Dayton ND20FB-4 tweeters

1- Dayton PT2C planar tweeter
                        1- Seas 27TAFNC/D tweeter
                        1- Dayton ND20FA
                        1- Dayton ND16

Here are the other design concepts that I have developed for potential future projects:

The first I already showed and was the one adapted to this design. It was intended to be an open back tube midrange, which could also be adapted to open baffle dipole. It could be a WMT or WWMT

This one is a high efficiency 2way using a pro woofer waveguide and compression tweeter with some polycarbonate mixed in to the look.

Next up is another open back mid concept with room for a largish woofer on the bottom end. It could also be a WWMT.

Then we have a more traditional box (well not really traditional). It is the most flexible and could be open back tube or sealed mid and WMT, WWMT, WWMTM, etc. depending on the height.

Dan N.

Comment

Dan,

Excellent selection of drivers! I am thrilled with my nearly true OB design. It sounds like you might be open to a design like this. What are the specifications on those buyout 12" woofers?

The real question is which one do you want to do?

Comment

I used to have those 12" buyout specifications, but don't seem to be able to find them now. I'll have to pull one out and run it on WT3 to see what they are. IIRC, the FS was in the low 20's and they wanted very large boxes. I did do some measurements at one point (see below, beware large files). I really want to do something a little simpler at the moment, so I'm not sure I want to jump into the full open baffle concept. The problem with a lot of the drivers I have is that they are no longer available, or are very expensive when purchased new (like the PHL)

Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                              Guys,

A Duelund alignment is a possibility, but I'm not sure that I see the Morel as a filler driver, or that the RS180/22tafg are the ideal drivers to anchor each end. I believe I've seen the MDM55 used from around 700 up to 5000hz or so successfully, so it seems counterintuitive to reduce its bandwith and contribution by making it a filler. We also know that the RS180 is limited on the top end and the 22tafg on the low end, so I'm not sure about doing a design where these two are only 12db down at their crossover points.

Do you disagree?
                              12dB down around 1800Hz is about right, and the TAFG should be able to handle that. It's 4th order from that point down.

The RS180 has the response to handle it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                                Hi Tom,

Thanks. How is the Satori coming along? Are you prepared to dazzle us at Dayton?
                                Hi Dan, the woofer cabinet has changed to a TL, thank you Mr. Paul K., and I'm in the process of building a set and start the tweeking.
                                "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

Working...
                                X